Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

I just upgraded to Blu-Ray!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 10:47 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm years behind. But thought I'd share my joy here. Finally bought an LED TV and Blu-ray player. Man I've been missing out! The quality blows me away. I feel sad for my SDVD that I've bought over the years
Old 01-11-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: I just upgraded to Blu-Ray!

Congrats! Now get out there and enjoy those movies (again).
Old 01-11-11, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've taken your first step into a larger world.
Old 01-11-11, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

If you want some new goodies to show off your new display, check out some of the top titles here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342

Start with something like Toy Story 3 or Avatar on Blu-ray, and your eyes might melt from the sheer quality.
Old 01-12-11, 12:47 AM
Banned

Back To The Future looks amazing on blu-ray. So does the first Batman movie. And Beauty And The Beast is incredible.
Old 01-12-11, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The Incredible Hulk also has top notch audio.
Old 01-12-11, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! Would be nice if I can go blu before 2012.
Old 01-12-11, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Step Up 3D.

I shit you not. It was shot in HD/3D using Cameron's Fusion and is the second film to have a native 7.1 sound mix. It's my current reference disc that I show people when they come over.

My roommate, who made fun of me for liking it, nearly creamed herself when I played it.

Later that week she invited her family over to watch it.
Old 01-12-11, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Back To The Future looks amazing on blu-ray. So does the first Batman movie. And Beauty And The Beast is incredible.
I got to say I was disappointed with Back to the Future. It's definitely better than DVD, but it wasn't that much of improvement when compared to other 80's film like Blade Runner. Beauty & Beast does look incredible.

Recent films like Avatar will have great video quality, but If you really want to see how incredible Blu-ray can be, then get the movies that were originally filmed in 70mm.
2001 Space Odyssey, Sound of Music, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Baraka, etc will make you say WOW (actually I believe Blu-ray still don't have the resolution to fully showcase these movies, I remember reading /watching documentary that they scan these film at 2k, but had to shrink it to fit into Blu-ray - so we will definitely get another format in few years )

Other personal recommendation. Fight Club - My first upgrade from DVD, and this is the blu-ray that made me decide that I have to upgrade all my DVDs. So much improvement from DVD.

Personally DON'T recommend. Rundown(yes, the one with Rock, I found this movie to be enjoyable ) - This is the blu-ray that made me decide to read all the reviews and not just blindly upgrade - minimal differences from DVD. Slightly, slightly better - not worth the money if you own the DVD.
Old 01-12-11, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Fok
I feel sad for my SDVD that I've bought over the years
Hopefully your player does a good job of upconverting. Your SD collection should still look pretty good except for non-anamorphic stuff.
Old 01-12-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by animefan
actually I believe Blu-ray still don't have the resolution to fully showcase [70mm] movies, I remember reading /watching documentary that they scan these film at 2k, but had to shrink it to fit into Blu-ray - so we will definitely get another format in few years
1080p (1920x1080) is actually really close to 2K (2048x1080) in terms of resolution, so it's highly unlikely we'll see a new consumer format for just a few extra pixels.

However, most people nowadays think scanning at 4K (4096x2160)is best for capturing the full resolution of 35mm film, while 8K (7680x4320) would be required for capturing 70mm film for archival purposes. Baraka was scanned at 8K, which was downscaled to 1080p for the Blu-ray. New digital projectors in theaters are mostly 4K.

Which isn't to say we'll get a 4K or 8K consumer format any time soon. Remember that the world was stuck with standard definition television for approximately 50 years before HD came along.
Old 01-12-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Foking finally.
Old 01-12-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Step Up 3D.

I shit you not. It was shot in HD/3D using Cameron's Fusion and is the second film to have a native 7.1 sound mix. It's my current reference disc that I show people when they come over.

My roommate, who made fun of me for liking it, nearly creamed herself when I played it.

Later that week she invited her family over to watch it.
Don't waste your time - there are plenty of good movies that are worthy as demo material so that you don't have to bother with shitpiles like Step Up in order to show off your new system.
Old 01-12-11, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
However, most people nowadays think scanning at 4K (4096x2160)is best for capturing the full resolution of 35mm film, while 8K (7680x4320) would be required for capturing 70mm film for archival purposes. Baraka was scanned at 8K, which was downscaled to 1080p for the Blu-ray. New digital projectors in theaters are mostly 4K.

Which isn't to say we'll get a 4K or 8K consumer format any time soon. Remember that the world was stuck with standard definition television for approximately 50 years before HD came along.
Thanks for detailed info, I was too lazy to do proper research

I actually meant scanned at 8k for those movies Should've just looked at back of my Baraka blu-ray. Sound of Music was also scanned at 8k. Do you know any other movies that are 70mm?

Technology seem to be advancing so rapidly these days, I think in about 5years we will have 2160p TVs that have affordable prices. (They need something else to make us buy things after the whole 3-D craze is over)
Old 01-12-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Congrats on going Blu-ray.

Word of advice, don't bother with BD-Live cause it plain suck.
Old 01-12-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I made the change in October and i'm glad that I did.
As for BD-Live haven't used it, and have no desire to either, not even hooked up to the internet either.
As far as my Bluray player is concerned.
Old 01-12-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BD Live is OK, but I hook my player to the net for Instant Netflix.
Old 01-12-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Don't waste your time - there are plenty of good movies that are worthy as demo material so that you don't have to bother with shitpiles like Step Up in order to show off your new system.
Did you actually see Step Up 3D? If not, shut the fuck up.

It was surprisingly the most fun I had at the movies last year.
Old 01-12-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Did you actually see Step Up 3D? If not, shut the fuck up.

It was surprisingly the most fun I had at the movies last year.
Sorry, but anything lower than 50% is rightly considered a shitpile. Movies like this don't just fail to reward thought, but punish you for using it, as turning off your mind is required for such drivel. But hey, if you actually enjoy turning off your brain in order to have fun, have at it - pick up some heroin while you're at it!
Old 01-12-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Sorry, but anything lower than 50% is rightly considered a shitpile. Movies like this don't just fail to reward thought, but punish you for using it, as turning off your mind is required for such drivel. But hey, if you actually enjoy turning off your brain in order to have fun, have at it - pick up some heroin while you're at it!
Sorry, but you come off as snooty with a statement like that. I've never seen Step Up 3 (nor have much desire to) as it's not my kind of film so obviously it's up to the OP to decide and if it is, then maybe he'd like to try it out. If not, then he can move on and check out the other suggestions.

As for critics ratings, I wouldn't buy too much into what they think either. In your criteria, does this mean if 51% of critics liked a movie it's no longer a "shitpile"? Is it just a single piece of shit rather than loads of it? What if a majority of critics liked a movie that you didn't (and vice versa)? What then?

In all seriousness, what fun movies do you like that are also demo worthy?
Old 01-12-11, 04:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Hi,

You've missed the boat. Blu Ray is on the way out. Look into buying a Super Blu-Ray® player, to be available early next year.
Old 01-12-11, 05:02 PM

Just what exactly is a Super Blu Ray player?
Old 01-12-11, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's the Super version of a Blu Ray player, dumbass.
Old 01-12-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Groucho does it again.
Old 01-12-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's funny when you filter for the top critics, it jumps into the fresh category at 61%.

However, I'm sorry I don't think I'm better than anyone else. My one of two bachelor's degrees, the one where I actually majored in film, will have fun laughing at you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.