Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

I just upgraded to Blu-Ray!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

I just upgraded to Blu-Ray!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: I just upgraded to Blu-Ray!

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
My roommate, who made fun of me for liking it, nearly creamed herself when I played it.
Pics?
Old 01-12-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Sorry, but you come off as snooty with a statement like that.
Snooty for simply wanting a story and characters to make sense? Okay, good to know.

As for critics ratings, I wouldn't buy too much into what they think either. In your criteria, does this mean if 51% of critics liked a movie it's no longer a "shitpile"? Is it just a single piece of shit rather than loads of it? What if a majority of critics liked a movie that you didn't (and vice versa)? What then?
Plenty of well-rated films are bad, but name me one good movie that has below 50%.
Old 01-12-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
My one of two bachelor's degrees, the one where I actually majored in film, will have fun laughing at you.
Sorry, I only minored in film, but what if I tell you that I've seen more films than you've even heard of, having written papers on many of them and that I've worked in the industry, having produced some films? Would that mean I have a bigger cinematic dick than you do and that it's you who's my subject of derision?
Old 01-12-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matthew Chmiel is making it harder and harder for me to wait for Step Up 3D to drop in price before picking it up. It sounds fabulous.

Enjoy your new set up Fok!

Last edited by onebyone; 01-12-11 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So wait. Does this mean that those of us with no degrees in film or experience in the film industry have no idea what a good or bad film is?

SUMBITCH! I'm selling all my DVD/BDs since I can't enjoy them. DAMMIT
Old 01-13-11, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm assuming you don't have a degree in English or creative writing either. Please cease from writing immediately.
Old 01-13-11, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Snooty for simply wanting a story and characters to make sense? Okay, good to know.
You just made my point, thank you.

And to answer your question:

Plenty of well-rated films are bad, but name me one good movie that has below 50%.
First, "good" is a relative term (as is what makes a "bad" movie) but from my quick search, I liked Unfaithful (49%), The Book of Eli (48%) and Home Alone (47%). Yeah, I know Home Alone isn't some complex movie but it's one I enjoy watching every so often.

Still, to actually contribute to the topic at hand (rather than deriding others taste in films), what movies would you suggest for demo material?

Last edited by TheMovieman; 01-13-11 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-13-11, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
You just made my point, thank you.

And to answer your question:

First, "good" is a relative term (as is what makes a "bad" movie) but from my quick search, I liked Unfaithful (49%), The Book of Eli (48%) and Home Alone (47%). Yeah, I know Home Alone isn't some complex movie but it's one I enjoy watching every so often.
And you just made mine.

Still, to actually contribute to the topic at hand (rather than deriding others taste in films), what movies would you suggest for demo material?
Apocalypse Now, Hot Fuzz, Mad Men, Army of Shadows, Band of Brothers, Red Shoes, Black Narcissus, Blade Runner, any Pixar movie, Red Cliff, Se7en, Breaking Bad, Planet Earth, Zodiac, Thin Red Line, Alien Anthology, Deadwood, Scott Pilgrim, Godfather, 2001, etc, etc...
Old 01-13-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Human Nature has a rottentomatoes score of 49%:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1113402-human_nature/
Old 01-13-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Already mentioned by others, but Baraka makes for a great demo disc. Fok, do you have a surround sound system as well? They can be had for pretty cheap these days, and really enhance the film-viewing experience.
Old 01-13-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/speed_racer/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/john_rambo/

You should also really try to understand that people aren't talking back to you because they're opposed to your opinion. They're talking back to you because you have an unbelievably shitty and obnoxious attitude about your opinion.

Last edited by doctorthodt; 01-13-11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-13-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/speed_racer/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/john_rambo/

You should also really try to understand that people aren't talking back to you because they're opposed to your opinion. They're talking back to you because you have an unbelievably shitty and obnoxious attitude about your opinion.
Hmm... I posit that they're probably reading my posts in their own shitty, obnoxious tone. If we were having this discussion in person, you'd see that my tone and attitude is a bit tongue-in-cheek and actually quite delightful!
Old 01-13-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's not forget the audio. One of the bigger reasons to why I switched and many others...
Old 01-13-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
I actually am opposed to his opinion, specifically this one:
Sorry, but anything lower than 50% is rightly considered a shitpile.
It's attempting to make objective something that is, by its very nature, subjective (an opinion on a film).

Rottentomatoes is best used to determine the probability you will like or dislike a movie. If 99% of critics and audience liked a movie, then there's a very good chance you'll like it as well. However, you could still hate it, even if the score is 100%. Likewise, even if less than 50% liked a film, it could still be a film you as an individual like. What the score is not, is the ultimate arbitrator of quality, any more than any single critic's opinion is, or any single person's, for that matter.

If you use rottentomatoes to tell you what is good and what is bad, you're showing a lack of critical thinking skills on your own part, and you may be missing out on films you'd actually like.

Aside from Humane Nature, I also enjoyed the film Outlander, despite it only scoring 38% on rottentomatoes:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/outlander/

The Fountain scored 51%:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_fountain/

Josie and the Pussycats scored 53%:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/josi...the_pussycats/
Old 01-13-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was mostly generalizing, so of course there's going to be a couple examples to the contrary here and there, but a great majority of other examples prove my point rather than yours.
Old 01-13-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was mostly generalizing, so of course there's going to be a couple examples to the contrary here and there, but a great majority of other examples prove my point rather than yours.
If you think other examples disprove my point, then you're missing what my point is.

My point is that rottentomatoes scores don't "prove" anything. They're an indicator on odds you'll like a film. However, even a film with a low score of 33% means that 1 out of 3 people who saw that film liked it and thought it was a good film. Those 33% of people aren't wrong in their opinion simply because they're a minority, and the other 66% of people aren't right simply because they're in the majority. You can't use a rottentomatoes score to objectively state that any film is shit, since there's no such thing as an objective assessment of quality.
Old 01-13-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Primarily, I would object at drawing the line as high as 50%. Lots of oddball, challenging projects are going to split critics. I would say 40% is a little more reasonable.
Old 01-13-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I would say 40% is a little more reasonable.
Reasonable for what? False objectivity? Which percentage do you go by: critics, top critics, or audience?

For example, Transformers 2 scored 20% with critics, but 76% with audiences. Who's right, the critics or the audience?
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tran...of_the_fallen/

Personally, if a film scored 0% on rottentomatoes, but I still liked it, then it's a good film. When determining the quality of a film, I use my own judgment. Now, I may never bother to watch Step Up 3D, but that doesn't mean that I think that Matthew Chmiel is "wrong" for liking the film, or that doing so indicates a lack of intelligence or taste on his part.
Old 01-13-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.

Personally, if a film scored 0% on rottentomatoes, but I still liked it, then it's a good film. When determining the quality of a film, I use my own judgment. Now, I may never bother to watch Step Up 3D, but that doesn't mean that I think that Matthew Chmiel is "wrong" for liking the film, or that doing so indicates a lack of intelligence or taste on his part.
Old 01-13-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Reasonable for what?
Reasonable in that the majority is going to indicate an accurate general feel for how good the movie is. And I only pay attention to the critics -- not because I am one, but because they are far more likely to a) have reasons for rating a film the way they do and b) will make better use of the rating scale between lowest and highest.

But, starting at 40%, I would say starts to become generally likely that I will think lesser of the movie in question than another movie with a higher Tomatometer rating. You could even convert percentage directly into odds: 60/40 chance I dislike a movie rated at 40%, 70/30 a 30%, and so on and so forth.
Old 01-13-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

fock fok if he doesn't get it. I'm getting Step Up 3 now !!
Old 01-13-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like movies that I buy, pretty much.
Old 01-13-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But, starting at 40%, I would say starts to become generally likely that I will think lesser of the movie in question than another movie with a higher Tomatometer rating. You could even convert percentage directly into odds: 60/40 chance I dislike a movie rated at 40%, 70/30 a 30%, and so on and so forth.
Right, it's reasonable for predicting probability, or how likely you will like a film. But it's not an absolute indicator of quality, and it doesn't trump personal opinion.

For example, if a movie you really liked was 40%, while a movie you thought was just OK was 70%, would you then adjust your personal opinion accordingly?
Old 01-13-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reasonable in that the majority is going to indicate an accurate general feel for how good the movie is.
The majority of people are idiots, so how does that shift one's scale now?
Old 01-14-11, 12:11 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Already mentioned by others, but Baraka makes for a great demo disc. Fok, do you have a surround sound system as well? They can be had for pretty cheap these days, and really enhance the film-viewing experience.
Currently in the market for a surround sound system, already posted a topic under the hardware forum

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.