HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 2/15/11

Old 12-06-10, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 2/15/11

Per blu-ray.com:

Paramount Home Entertainment has officially announced the Dreamworks production A.I. Artificial Intelligence for Blu-ray release in the US on February 15, 2011. This dark science fiction movie with a fairy-tale subtext, a project originally developed by Stanley Kubrick based on a short story by Brian Aldiss, was directed by Steven Spielberg after Kubrick's death.

Special features include:
-Creating A.I.
-Acting A.I.
-Designing A.I.
-Lighting A.I.
-A.I./FX
-The Robots of A.I.
-Special Visual Effects and Animation: ILM
-The Sound and Music of A.I.
-Closing: Steven Spielberg: Our Responsibility to Artificial Intelligence
-Two theatrical trailers (in HD)
-A.I. Archives

Amazon Pre-Order

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 12-14-10 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-06-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 2/15/11

A polarizing film to be sure, but I am in the camp that considers it one of Spielberg's very best.

With the BD coming out overseas, it was probably inevitable that we'd get an announcement here as well.
Old 12-06-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice. I really like this one.
Old 12-06-10, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Superdaddy View Post
A polarizing film to be sure, but I am in the camp that considers it one of Spielberg's very best.
I'm with you, up until the lame tacked-on ending whose tone repudiated the entire movie preceding it. I'll be buying the BD.
Old 12-06-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl View Post
I'm with you, up until the lame tacked-on ending whose tone repudiated the entire movie preceding it. I'll be buying the BD.
I probably should have stated in my original post that I'm also one of those who does not see the ending as optimistic, and this contributes to my admiration of the movie.
Old 12-06-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's definitely not a happy ending, much the same way War of the Worlds is mistaken for having a happy ending. Spielberg is more subtle than people give him credit for.
Old 12-06-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

At the absolute least, this is a dazzling, visual spectacle that I hope looks excellent on Blu-Ray.
Old 12-06-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post
It's definitely not a happy ending, much the same way War of the Worlds is mistaken for having a happy ending. Spielberg is more subtle than people give him credit for.
Not to take this thread off course early, but in what way was the ending of War of the Worlds not a fairly happy one? (spoilered just in case)
Spoiler:
He's reunited with his son and family and aliens are dead/dying. Aside from the fact that probably millions of people were killed, the focus of the ending is on Tom Cruise's character, so it was presented as happy, at least to me. If it had focused on the millions dead, then I would agree with you, but he didn't do that.
Old 12-06-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish View Post
Not to take this thread off course early, but in what way was the ending of War of the Worlds not a fairly happy one? (spoilered just in case)
Spoiler:
He's reunited with his son and family and aliens are dead/dying. Aside from the fact that probably millions of people were killed, the focus of the ending is on Tom Cruise's character, so it was presented as happy, at least to me. If it had focused on the millions dead, then I would agree with you, but he didn't do that.
Spoiler:
Except he's not really reunited with them. They all embrace, but Tom Cruise is cast aside, looking forlorn, an alien to his own family. I mean if your idea of a "happy ending" is "everyone Tom Cruise loves wasn't brutally murdered by an invading alien species like the millions of other people in the movie" then I guess that's cool, but it wasn't really the point that was deliberately being made there.
Old 12-06-10, 11:42 AM

Yes!!!! This will be the perfect Valentines Day gift...to myself.
Old 12-06-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Spoiler:
Except he's not really reunited with them. They all embrace, but Tom Cruise is cast aside, looking forlorn, an alien to his own family. I mean if your idea of a "happy ending" is "everyone Tom Cruise loves wasn't brutally murdered by an invading alien species like the millions of other people in the movie" then I guess that's cool, but it wasn't really the point that was deliberately being made there.
I beg to differ.
Spoiler:
What you are suggesting is that WotW has The Searchers ending, the man of action has made the family whole again, but there is no place for him in the family or society, so he remains outside and is destine to be alone. That would have been the perfect ending for WotW, but that is not what happens. Tom Cruise hugs everybody (his kids, ex-wife, in-laws) and there is a conventional happy ending.
Old 12-06-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks. This A.I. Blu news really made my day. I was thinking of buying the European release but don't need to now.
Old 12-06-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. Not one of my favorites from Spielberg. If they're going to in ignore his best works for BD (Jaws) and focus on his more recent output, give me Munich, damnit!
Old 12-06-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was hoping for a quick US release (with all the recent news about releases overseas)....
I love this film and can't wait to see and hear it on BD!
Old 12-06-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-06-10, 03:06 PM

a very flawed movie (that ending???!!), but amazing to watch nonetheless.

Speilberg came very close to a great masterpiece; but its still one of his best and a remarkable movie despite the flaws.

I cant wait to get this on Blu-Ray and am glad I help out and didnt get the DVD. I hope there is an Extended or Director's cut that comes with it...perhaps an alternate ending would be nice also lol.

Looking very forward to seeing Jude Law's astounding performance in Hi-Def!
Old 12-06-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm holding out for the Kubrick version.

Old 12-06-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I beg to differ.
Spoiler:
What you are suggesting is that WotW has The Searchers ending, the man of action has made the family whole again, but there is no place for him in the family or society, so he remains outside and is destine to be alone. That would have been the perfect ending for WotW, but that is not what happens. Tom Cruise hugs everybody (his kids, ex-wife, in-laws) and there is a conventional happy ending.
I agree with Mabuse; I think you are reading too much into it. I'm all for subtext, but that's just not in the ending as presented.
Old 12-06-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're all for subtext then I'm not sure why you'd disregard the blatant subtext of alienation in a movie about, you know, aliens, but suit yourself
Old 12-06-10, 04:54 PM

Looking forward to have this. Schindler's List and Munich on BD next?
Old 12-06-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're all for subtext then I'm not sure why you'd disregard the blatant subtext of alienation in a movie about, you know, aliens, but suit yourself
I'm not saying the subtext of alienation within his own family wasn't alluded to in the movie, I'm saying it wasn't not a happy ending, as you claim. The last shot before the big dramatic shot of the ruined city is of Tom Cruise hugging his thought-to-be-dead son. That, to me, is a happy ending. I'm curious to know what specifically is tipping you off that the ending isn't a happy one, and that it was intentionally done by Spielberg.
Old 12-06-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superdaddy View Post
I probably should have stated in my original post that I'm also one of those who does not see the ending as optimistic, and this contributes to my admiration of the movie.
It should also be pointed out it wasn't tacked on, and that it doesn't repudiate the events before it. In fact the narrative would be awful if it didn't have a third act and thematically nothing would be achieved. David has to see his mother again.

It's one thing to hate this third act, but there is little justification for ending it with David in the amphibicopter. Everything up to that point indicated the film still had more story to tell.
Old 12-06-10, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Drop View Post
It should also be pointed out it wasn't tacked on, and that it doesn't repudiate the events before it. In fact the narrative would be awful if it didn't have a third act and thematically nothing would be achieved. David has to see his mother again.

It's one thing to hate this third act, but there is little justification for ending it with David in the amphibicopter. Everything up to that point indicated the film still had more story to tell.
Agreed. The movie doesn't work without it.

The opinion that AI should have ended at the Blue Fairy is one of the saddest movie related opinions Ive ever had to suffer.
Old 12-07-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl View Post
I respectfully disagree completely about the ending. It wasn't "tacked on", but was the ending Kubrick had intended. Just to make sure we're all on the same page, the beings at the end
Spoiler:
were not aliens, as many many people thought. They were A.I.'s, the descendants of David (and us, basically).

Which leads to my pet theory about the whole movie which is
Spoiler:
that the entire story is not "real", but is in fact a fairy tale told by the future A.I's long after we are extinct. Was there a real David? Maybe, but probably not. The tip off is that the narrator is Ben Kingsly who also plays the lead robot at the end. It's a tale these robot beings tell their young, which expresses their yearning to understand their origins and touch their mysterious and absent creator (human beings), much like our myths and fairy tales address our yearning for meaning. Just my theory, and I've heard this expressed nowhere else, but it makes the movie make sense to me.

All that said, this is a day one purchase for me on Blu.
Old 12-07-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember reading your interpretation before, and I tend to agree with it. It wouldn't make sense to have Kingsley play both roles otherwise.

And this will be a day one purchase for me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.