Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 2/15/11

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 2/15/11

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 2/15/11

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I respectfully disagree completely about the ending. It wasn't "tacked on", but was the ending Kubrick had intended. Just to make sure we're all on the same page, the beings at the end
Spoiler:
were not aliens, as many many people thought. They were A.I.'s, the descendants of David (and us, basically).
I don't doubt Kubrick intended that ending. My issues regarding "tacked on" are matters of theme and tone.

My take on AI is that it tackles themes of disrespect, obsolescence, and abandonment. The part near the end where David (the child AI) is tossed in the ocean and sinking to the bottom would have been the perfect denouement. This is Hollywood, so we cannot have endings like that, especially on movies which are likely to have children watching (cue Haley Joel Osment), which Kubrick darn well knows. Kubrick's ending was both bizarre and relatively upbeat, which is a jarring departure from the tone of the movie preceding it.
Old 12-07-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Great news - I can avoid the import now.
Old 12-07-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Kubrick's ending was both bizarre and relatively upbeat, which is a jarring departure from the tone of the movie preceding it.
What? No way. The BEST you can say about the ending is that it's bittersweet. But it's quite sad to me.
Old 12-07-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon pre-order added to OP. The list price is only $24.99.
Old 12-07-10, 08:58 PM

Below is a link to the Amazon Japan page for the A.I. Blu ray. I wonder if we will get the same cover art. I did some more searching on their site and noticed that Demolition Man will be on Blu Ray in Japan in January. I'm hoping we get it soon after, along with a deluxe edition of The Fifth Element. I can only dream.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00439G1H...29&camp=211189
Old 12-07-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
I don't doubt Kubrick intended that ending. My issues regarding "tacked on" are matters of theme and tone.

My take on AI is that it tackles themes of disrespect, obsolescence, and abandonment. The part near the end where David (the child AI) is tossed in the ocean and sinking to the bottom would have been the perfect denouement. This is Hollywood, so we cannot have endings like that, especially on movies which are likely to have children watching (cue Haley Joel Osment), which Kubrick darn well knows. Kubrick's ending was both bizarre and relatively upbeat, which is a jarring departure from the tone of the movie preceding it.
You've gotta give Kubrick more credit than to accuse him of tossing artistic integrity aside to conform to Hollywood. Even if his choice confounds, he more than earned the benefit of the doubt in that department.

The jarring of tone was also a specialty of his. It's his way of essentially showing a couple of puzzle pieces to the audience, rather than smoothly putting them together, and letting the audience put the pieces together in their own minds. It's a strong belief of mine (and it's not original with me) that the most satisfying story is one that the audience is able to tell to itself. From Full Metal Jacket, which had a two-act, rather than three-act structure, to Path's of Glory which jumped from a long introduction of shaky hand-held battle scenes and rough, blunt characters to elegant camera-work and polite double-speak, to the completely bizarre ending of 2001.

Honestly, I think the themes you identify WOULD be the point of the movie had it ended at the bottom of the ocean, but Kubrick was reaching for something more, involving evolution, what it means to be a living being, and the nature of love and emotions. And it may be that Spielberg just didn't communicate it in the same way Kubrick would have, or as effectively, but I really don't think the ending was upbeat. And it takes some reflection and multiple viewings, as with any Kubrick film to even start to realize what he was going for.

I'm tempted to go on, and ask what's wrong with upbeat endings (not that A.I. has one, in my opinion) or even endings that shift from the tone of the rest of the film, but this probably all belongs in the Movie section.. but I respect your take on it. Sounds like you at least gave the movie a fair hearing unlike many people who trash the whole thing because they don't like or get the ending.
Old 12-07-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If Spielberg hadn't
Spoiler:
made the advanced Mecha look like aliens from his own previous movies,
the ending would have been a lot less confusing and better well-received, I'm sure. Just a bad design decision.
Old 12-13-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Artwork added to OP.
Old 12-13-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is one of my all time favorite Spielberg films. I absolutely cannot wait to add this to my Blu-ray collection. I'm loving the cover art, too. Obviously it is leaps and bounds better than the artwork for Minority Report.
Old 12-13-10, 08:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Oh god that cover is horrible.

Still going to grab this sub $15.
Old 12-13-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

yeah, looks like the cover for Angel Eyes.

Mr. Joel Osment is a family friend. My father was his godfather, and his is mine, so I feel obligated to buy all of his turd movies, and his is not one of them. Best film he made.

yes, call me out on my name dropping.
Old 12-13-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
dude, that's a great HJO (David) impersonation .... not one blink
Old 12-13-10, 11:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

pretty much....I wonder how they're going to fuck up the Jaws cover. Cuz so far all the most recent Spielberg films to hit BD have had shit covers...
Old 12-13-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

hasnt this already been released on Blu in a diff region?
Old 12-14-10, 10:44 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
pretty much....I wonder how they're going to fuck up the Jaws cover. Cuz so far all the most recent Spielberg films to hit BD have had shit covers...
Don't worry, the Jaws cover has been fucked up for years.
Old 12-14-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
If Spielberg hadn't
Spoiler:
made the advanced Mecha look like aliens from his own previous movies,
the ending would have been a lot less confusing and better well-received, I'm sure. Just a bad design decision.
That's long been my opinion too. Perhaps something closer to
Spoiler:
Michael Bay's concept for the Transformers. Mind you, I hate the design as Transformers, but as organically melded with real world objects robots, the design works and might have been a better fit for the ending of AI.
Old 12-14-10, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Eh. It's fucked up, but not as bad as Minority Report.

All of the cover-fucking-up has been Paramount/DreamWorks, so expect Jaws' art to look the same as it has on other home video releases.
Old 12-14-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Not real thrilled with the cover but it could've been worse. Still gonna buy the damn thing
Old 12-14-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The cover art for this isn't perfect; though I still kind of like it. I'm just glad it's not 'Minority Report' bad. I think we should (hopefully) all agree on that.

I never do custom covers, but for Minority Report I have often wondered if I should...
Old 12-14-10, 11:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Terrible cover art, but love the movie. I'll be picking this up
Old 12-15-10, 01:44 PM

I wonder if the slipcover will be lenticular.

I can't wait to pick this up and finally upgrade to HD.
Old 12-17-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Paramount has surpassed Fox as the worst studio releasing movies.
Old 12-17-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kory
Universal would like a word with you.
Old 12-17-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kory
Is that a joke?

Such Blu-ray discs of mine like (the following below) would like to have a word with you:

Anchorman
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Minority Report
Saving Private Ryan (post-audio fuck up)
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Star Trek
War of the Worlds
Old 12-20-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
If you're all for subtext then I'm not sure why you'd disregard the blatant subtext of alienation in a movie about, you know, aliens, but suit yourself
Here's the thing. You're arguing about the subtext, nuance, and ambiguity in a movie by Steven Spielberg, whose filmmaking simply does not trade in such things. Spielberg is a straight-up literalist in every respect. What you see in a Spielberg movie is what you get. He hates ambiguity and often goes to extreme lengths to purge it from his movies. If there's any subtext in his film, he will have a character step out in front of the camera to explain it to you in explicit detail so that you can't possibly miss it.

This ties right into the ending of A.I. Although the basic concept of shifting the narrative centuries forward and introducing an advanced race of machines may have been Kubrick's, I guarantee you that Kubrick would never have had a friendly "Explainer" character pop in to deliver a bunch of pseudoscience gobbledygook about the "space-time continuum," and walk the main character (and hence the audience) through everything that has happened. That's pure Spielberg pap.

I picture Kubrick's ending as more like the final scene in 2001, surreal and open to interpretation. Unfortunately, Spielberg absolutely could not allow his movie to end that way. By god, he needs people to know exactly what's happening at every moment.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.