Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow, you dumped your entire collection to go 100% streaming/digital?

I recall in the other thread you organized your discs in binders to help save space, so even then you decided to get rid of everything?

That's a huge financial hit for all the money you put in. So did you just dump everything in a fire sale and not care what you got?

I just can't do a massive fire sale for the good stuff I bought even if I was desperate to clear out space. Some of the TV on BD I bought cost around $30 a piece and I would awful dumping them for $2-3 like they're trash considering how much of my hard earned money I put in.

Granted I dumped and donated hundreds of dollars of junk over the last year+ that I knew I shouldn't have bought in the first place or would never watch again. But, I just can't part with the good stuff only to re-buy it again digitally.
(On a more general tangent).

Everyone has their own unique criteria for determining what is "junk" and what has any "value". What is defined as "value" is also unique to an individual.

(As examples). For some folks, it is the original price they paid for it. For other folks, it is the number of times they use it. For a third party, it might be a combination of the two (which is not weighted equally).

For example in a niche unrelated to dvd/bluray, I have given away stuff which I paid more than $100 a pop. Also in this same niche (which will remain unnamed), I hang on to some stuff which I only paid $2 or $3 for. It turns out for the latter, it is stuff which had a large number of uses for me.

In the case of dvd/bluray, the title which has the most rewatch value for me, turns out to be a $2 title which I have watched over 200+ times already. On the other side of the coin, I've been through many $2-$10+ dvd/bluray titles which I gave away or traded with local friends already.

The way I think about "stuff" (ie. objects, cash, etc ...), is that I mind as well use it or give it away to local friends/family. I won't be able to take any of it with me once I die. (I don't have any kids to pass all this stuff down to).
Old 04-16-18, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Now is a better time than ever if you want CDs. The used market has come down a great deal in the past year or so. It's a similar market to vinyl in the 1990s, when the masses collectively decided to get out at the same time and supply outstripped demand.

I do think the era of outrageously priced DVDs and Blu-rays when they go out of print is nearing its end.
Agreed. I have tons of CDs and because they are so cheap it's been so easy for me lately to go through my collection and replace any albums I have on disc that may not be in great shape. I really can't see CDs making a comeback but if they do I'll be glad I took advantage of the low prices now.

As far as OOP DVDs and BDs go, I have also noticed that. I think that since a lot of releases that have been put out the past 5 or 6 years have included digital copies, many people would buy the disc, use the code and sell off the movies with everything but the code, so the market is still decently packed with secondhand stuff. Even prices for OOP Disney stuff isn't that outrageous anymore (which is especially odd considering how light on bonus features their recent releases have been).

People are going to wish they had their physical collections when the streaming providers start charging monthly access fees to use their personal digital collections. There is nothing stopping them once physical media has been eliminated.
This worries me too. Over the past year or so I have been super selective about which TV shows or films I buy on disc. I simply have too much - most of the stuff that I own is widely available on Netflix or Hulu (moreso TV series), and most other things can easily be found online for free, so I've been seriously weeding out.
Old 04-16-18, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I have cut back for two main reasons. First, I am literally about out of room for physical media. I am actually contemplating buying binders to store the discs in and just getting rid of the cases. Secondly, I just don't have the desire to sit on the couch and watch movies quite like I used to. I deal with anxiety and depression issues, and I find myself wanting to be out of the house and keeping active more than ever.
Old 04-16-18, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by rjh_54
People are going to wish they had their physical collections when the streaming providers start charging monthly access fees to use their personal digital collections. There is nothing stopping them once physical media has been eliminated.
This worries me too. Over the past year or so I have been super selective about which TV shows or films I buy on disc.
The way I view this, is if one doesn't want to be caught in the dragnet of (future) access fees for certain titles, then dvd/bluray disc is the way to go for those certain titles.

For titles which I only watch once or twice, then the format doesn't matter much. It is basically a "dead" disc, stream, download, recording, etc ... to me after that first or second viewing.
Old 04-16-18, 08:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
There was one blu I was about to toss (an obscure Korean flick), but found out that it's going for over $100! Definitely gonna check prices before I toss or give away stuff!
I always find it surprising which discs hold a decent resale value. I recently sold Twilight Zone the Movie and Never Say Never Again, I made my money back and could just buy the digital copies if I'm interested in watching them.

What sold me going towards digital oddly was seeing titles pop up on there that weren't getting a physical release.

I'll probably buy some must haves on 4K but each progressive format I buy less. Lack of time, space and interest all play a factor as well as burnout dealing with releases and double dips etc.
Old 04-16-18, 08:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel like that approach would kill digital media ownership. I mean the market place is already fractured as it is, that would just drive people away.
Old 04-16-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Agree with JoeyOhhhh. I started noticing movies in HD on Vudu that we're stuck in DVD hell, never getting a Blu-ray release.
Old 04-17-18, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
I feel like that approach would kill digital media ownership. I mean the market place is already fractured as it is, that would just drive people away.
The majority of consumers will just shrug their shoulders and accept it. The studios aren't dumb. They will wait to implement regular surcharges on digital streaming only after there are no other viable options to watch mainstream Hollywood movies. I'd give it 4-6 years.
Old 04-17-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

The majority of consumers will just shrug their shoulders and accept it.
I tend to agree with this. When it comes to progressive technology, it's amazing how complacent the public is to increased prices and service charges.
Old 04-17-18, 08:50 PM

If something has no replay value for me after the first or second viewing, then it would be easier to just watch it on a flat-rate streaming service or basic cable (or ota). Ownership whether digital or disc, isn't an issue for me for such titles with no rewatch value.

For titles which have high rewatch value, at the current time I would probably be inclined to have it on disc. I prefer to not waste time with downloading services run by incompetent engineers.

My main issue with many online services, is when they're run by folks who either don't know what they're doing, and/or they're completely incompetent. If I'm not paying for it, then the degree of incompetence doesn't matter. It's an entirely different matter if something is a paid service.
Old 04-17-18, 09:17 PM

The majority of consumers will just shrug their shoulders and accept it. The studios aren't dumb. They will wait to implement regular surcharges on digital streaming only after there are no other viable options to watch mainstream Hollywood movies. I'd give it 4-6 years.
Only easy way around this scenario is watching generic broadcast junk over the air.

Frankly at this point, I'm looking for an excuse to not watch tv shows/movies when I'm at home. (ie. Breaking the addiction/ocd pattern). If one day the studios charge sky high fees for digital streaming/downloading, I'm perfectly fine walking away completely from tv and movies.

Maybe I'll find another hobby, completely unrelated to dvds, blurays, tv shows and movies.
Old 04-18-18, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The majority of consumers Americans will just shrug their shoulders and accept it anything.
Old 04-18-18, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy

For titles which have high rewatch value, at the current time I would probably be inclined to have it on disc. I prefer to not waste time with downloading services run by incompetent engineers.

My main issue with many online services, is when they're run by folks who either don't know what they're doing, and/or they're completely incompetent. If I'm not paying for it, then the degree of incompetence doesn't matter. It's an entirely different matter if something is a paid service.
You must be the smartest guy ever born. Everyone is so incompetent.
Old 04-18-18, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo
You must be the smartest guy ever born ...
Or a byproduct of ocd perfectionism and egotism.
Old 04-18-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Only easy way around this scenario is watching generic broadcast junk over the air.

Frankly at this point, I'm looking for an excuse to not watch tv shows/movies when I'm at home. (ie. Breaking the addiction/ocd pattern). If one day the studios charge sky high fees for digital streaming/downloading, I'm perfectly fine walking away completely from tv and movies.

Maybe I'll find another hobby, completely unrelated to dvds, blurays, tv shows and movies.
That is the crux of the issue. Modern consumers have more entertainment options available to them than anything we could have conceived of 15 years ago.

There are good indicators that the Millennials and younger gens aren't going to be the same good consumers that prior generations were for decades. Rising ticket prices have masked the fact that box office attendance is down and many within the industry don't think it's ever coming back. Something similar is happening in sports - younger generations show less fanatic commitment to spending their dollars.

Changing consumer habits pose a grave long-term threat. It's why Hollywood has accelerated the switch to digital so quickly.
Old 04-18-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are good indicators that the Millennials and younger gens aren't going to be the same good consumers that prior generations were for decades. Rising ticket prices have masked the fact that box office attendance is down and many within the industry don't think it's ever coming back. Something similar is happening in sports - younger generations show less fanatic commitment to spending their dollars.
The Cineplex chain of theatres in Canada just layed-off 100 full time employees, which is pretty big considering how few fulltime employees there probably are, after reporting a 40% drop in attendance over the last year.

The amount of amusement choices has skyrocketed whereas there's still only 24 hours in a day and only so much disposable income.

A Friday night movie is $14 now and although that sounds expensive, I remember paying $7 in the early 1990s. But then again we didn't have all-you-can-watch Netflix available for $5/month either.

Value is always subjective when compared to what else is available. In a climate of "free" movies and music, it's tough to compete with.
Old 04-18-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Went to a Cineplex on the weekend and the long counter of registers -- which usually only had two, maybe three kids working it even on the busy nights -- was now a long counter of do-it-yourself scanners. I actually didn't mind this.
Old 04-18-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
A Friday night movie is $14 now and although that sounds expensive, I remember paying $7 in the early 1990s. But then again we didn't have all-you-can-watch Netflix available for $5/month either.
Don't forget bottle of water $4
Popcorn $6
Old 04-18-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Couple reasons:
* Huge backlog of dvds/blurays (and video games)
* I have most of the stuff I want (I did buy Greatest Showman and the DCU big box)
* Availability of stuff on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime
* My wife had satellite and DVR before we got married - while I didn't have it the last few years, I'll admit I'm enjoying watching a few shows close to real-time
* And of course not enough time to do everything I want to, much less spin disks (or Netflix queue, Hulu queue, etc)

That said - when I watch a movie, I want to WATCH A MOVIE. Sit down, turn the lights out, maybe some popcorn - only break is a quick bathroom break if necessary. I can't stand getting into a movie in the middle, even if it's one I've watched before (because then I think "why don't I watch the entirety of something I haven't watched yet, instead of half of something I have.")

In a recent move relating to getting married, I did get rid of a ton of stuff - but my home theatre, board games, video games, made it over mostly intact.

I like the idea of just getting rid of 1 title a day or a week. I could do that. Many have virtually no resale value and it would hurt dumping off a whole box, but onesy-twosy could be doable.

I don't have any digital movies (other than a few free things on Google). Most of my music is mp3, but I still buy CDs. Sometimes they're cheaper than the mp3 album, and sometimes I get them from thrift stores for 50 cents each or whatever.

My son is all about digital, and with things like Steam and Xbox digital download games, I can see the benefit. I haven't taken that jump for my DVD/BD collection though, and probably won't.
Old 04-18-18, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Don't forget bottle of water $4
Popcorn $6
Which is exactly why I bring a flask.
Old 04-18-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Which is exactly why I bring a flask.
lol

What about the tote bag with the popcorn bag inside?
Old 04-18-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
Went to a Cineplex on the weekend and the long counter of registers -- which usually only had two, maybe three kids working it even on the busy nights -- was now a long counter of do-it-yourself scanners. I actually didn't mind this.
I'm sure this will quickly be the future of movie-going where tickets are purchased only online or at a kiosk, then you tap-in through a turn-style
at the entrance to your specific theatre.

Although, I'm not sure how they'll regulate all those 12 year-olds going to R-Rated movies.
Old 04-19-18, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Although, I'm not sure how they'll regulate all those 12 year-olds going to R-Rated movies.
If only this tech existed when I was 12. It was much more of a challenge back in them olden days. Sigh . . .
Old 04-19-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

The Cineplex chain of theatres in Canada just layed-off 100 full time employees, which is pretty big considering how few fulltime employees there probably are, after reporting a 40% drop in attendance over the last year.
Going to the theatres is a rare thing for me... I probably average going maybe once every 2 years. At one point I never stepped foot in a theatre in about 7 years.

I regretfully went this past Christmas to see The Last Jedi, and I had to sit through 30+ commercials before the movie started. That's NOT including movie trailers... just actual commercials of companies trying to hock their crappy products.
If the movie was free, then I wouldn't have a problem... but I shouldn't have to be subjected to that garbage after dishing out money for a ticket.

No more theatres for me. I'm done.

No theatre can beat the movie viewing experience at home now.
Old 04-19-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Going to the theatres is a rare thing for me... I probably average going maybe once every 2 years. At one point I never stepped foot in a theatre in about 7 years.
That’s a rare thing for me as well, although it’s more because making a trip to the theater has become a hassle, rather than a lack of interest. The closest multi-plex is 45 minutes away, so when you combine the 90 minute roundtrip with the 2/2 ½ hour theater experience, I end up with an entire afternoon that’s been taken up by one single movie (this is also the reason I don’t like movies that go beyond 2 hours). The only time I can really go to the theater is the weekends, but I usually have other stuff I need to do, so there’s not much desire on my part to deal with the “theater experience.” I would rather wait for the movie to be released on video and rent it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.