Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Expendables: 3-Disc Combo Pack - 11/23/10

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Expendables: 3-Disc Combo Pack - 11/23/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Expendables: 3-Disc Combo Pack - 11/23/10

The cover is shiny but the BB sticker came right off on mine with no fuss at all. Had to go through about 20 slipcovers though because the back was scratched up on the first lot of them, looks like someone drug them on the concrete and scratched it all up. Thankfully I found a good set on another shelf.
Old 11-23-10, 03:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
To those of you who got this already: is the slipcover non-glossy, and therefore a real bitch to get the Best Buy price sticker off of it? I had a real struggle with Avatar last week and I'm just going to order it from amazon if the Best Buy sticker will tear a part off the slipcover.
Mine came off extremely easy.
Old 11-23-10, 03:07 PM

Okay, cool. From Best Buy? Usually if the slipcover is not glossy, it could be a real wreck. What I do is heat them up with a blowdryer first and carefully peel.
Old 11-23-10, 06:51 PM

amazon usually sends out my blus with slips in immaculate condition however my Expendables slip was a bit crushed at the bottom. they typically ship in cardboard boxes but my last few orders have arrived in giant yellow envelopes.
Old 11-24-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still in shock that I was able to buy a new Blu-ray from BB for $19.99. I'd be more inclined to buy more new releases if they were this price. $24.99 and up just doesn't sound attractive to me.
Old 11-24-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Just an FYI, I also saw this at Wal Mart for $19.96.
Old 11-24-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Yeah, the price at Best Buy was so cheap that, even though the film didn't live up to my expectations, I couldn't pass it up. I did enjoy it a lot more the second time around. Plus, I plan to sell the DVD for $10 and the digital copy for $5 so that'll be none too shabby.
Old 11-24-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Anyone else having difficulty getting this to play? MY Blu Ray gets half-way through the boot up then starts showing previews in a micro-screen. The only other movie I have that does this is Kick Ass, which was ironically also made by Lions Gate.
Old 11-24-10, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plays fine on my PS3
Old 11-24-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Anyone else having difficulty getting this to play? MY Blu Ray gets half-way through the boot up then starts showing previews in a micro-screen. The only other movie I have that does this is Kick Ass, which was ironically also made by Lions Gate.
That's not in any way ironic.
Old 11-24-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by awil1026
That's not in any way ironic.
I think he's using the Alanis Morisette definition of the term.
Old 11-24-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think he's using the Alanis Morisette definition of the term.
I tried to find an appropriate picture of her to illustrate the same point, but it was ironic that I could not fine one.
Old 11-25-10, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Okay, coincidentally .
Old 11-25-10, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Just an FYI, I also saw this at Wal Mart for $19.96.
My Walmart has it for $18.96. Awesome price for a new release.
Old 11-25-10, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
To those of you who got this already: is the slipcover non-glossy, and therefore a real bitch to get the Best Buy price sticker off of it? I had a real struggle with Avatar last week and I'm just going to order it from amazon if the Best Buy sticker will tear a part off the slipcover.
Use Goo Gone. It works great on those nasty price stickers. No harm whatsoever to the slipcover.
Old 05-13-11, 07:52 AM

Hi All, I saw this

"EXPENDABLES, THE: THE EXTENDED CUT - Barney Ross is the leader of a tight-knit team of skilled combat vets turned mercenaries. Hired by a powerful covert operator, the team jets off to overthrow a ruthless dictator. Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham. (CC)

Rental location: Movies -> New Release -> Action" On this site
http://www.wtcks.com/digital-tv/video-on-demand/

Does anyone know if this is true? Is this the rumored extended cut or just a typo. If it is the extended cut has anyone seen it? Thanks!
Old 05-13-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's the extended version and people have seen it. I don't have the information handy right now but there are rundowns of what's been changed floating around.
Old 05-13-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Found this over at IMDB:

Originally Posted by kevinandrew-1
Watched it last night. Better on the whole. The Jet/Dolph fight was SO much better. And the hello karma line was there. Awesome
Oh man, lots of stuff.

More dialogue in the opening scene from the team, and between Sly and Dolph when he's trying to hang the pirate.

The opening credits occur on the plane ride home, and show a lot of shots of the mercs (including a nice shot of Terry Crews looking at a picture of his family)

Slightly longer stuff a Charisma Carpenter's place, and then at Tool's place.

Dialogue between Sly and Statham in the garage, where Sly says that he mostly cares about the money these days. The following part with Dolph is a bit extended.

The whole team in the garage scene is much longer, Randy's ear monologue includes the bit from the script where he talks about beating up his college roommate for making fun of his ear.

More dialogue when Sly and Statham get to the dock in Vilena. And after that's over, there is a shot of Dolph sneaking out of the back of the plane, having stowed away during the flight.

More stuff between Sly and Statham, with Statham accusing him of having a black heart, before they part to look at the palace.

The racing back to the dock scene, shows some shots of Eric and his gang driving through a lot of carts and stuff in the town.

When Dolph meets with Eric, the dialogue is a teensy bit different and extended.

The whole stuff when Eric finds Sandra's paintings is the same dialogue mostly, but uses different camera angles and different takes by the actors.

Mickey's monolugue ends with him looking up at Sly in the mirror and not down.

The water boarding scene includes Gary elbowing Sandra in the gut while tying her. Garza interuppts the session and has his men take her away so she won't be tortured.

As said before, the fight between Jet and Dolph is must clearer and has some added/different dialogue. Like instead of saying "my turn!" he says "size matters!". And the stuff with Dolph "dying" is longer.

Longer stuff on the plane headed to Vilena.

Slightly longer stuff between Eric and Garza.

Once Sly rescues Sandra, it immediately cuts to them running and being ambushed. The interrogation scene is longer, with Gary saying more and kicking Stallone twice instead of once.

The only thing different in the tunnel fight, was that after Gary flips Jet onto his back, he he forcefully took the rifle away from Jet, and tried to shoot him, realizing that Jet held onto the clip. They square off, Gary says "you're good" and then attacks him. So slightly longer fighting.

After the tunnel fight Randy complains about having been shot in the back, saying "it stings", and Jet tells him to suck it up.

"Diamond Eyes" plays during the final shootout up until the fight between Randy and Steve. And the only difference in that fight was that Randy punched Steve almost immediately, not letting him stumble around on fire. Most of the shootout was the same, although they cut out Terry running out of the way of the tower falling.

Eric's speech at the end was slightly longer. After he's killed, it shows Randy Terry and Jet walking through the battlefield.

Dialogue in the last scene was slighty tweaked and extended. "Diamond Eyes" plays during the credits
Originally Posted by ToySoldier79
Also during the opening scene with the plane ride home, a different song is playing, but I don't know what it is. Anyone know?
Originally Posted by AlexanderTheGreatson
I liked everything in the Extended Cut better except for TWO things:

1. The opening credit sequence was WAY too long and I really didn't understand why it was changed from before.

2. "Diamond Eyes" should NOT have played during the shootout scene. It did not fit at ALL, and detracted from what was going on on-screen. Great song though.
The credit sequence could have been a bit shorter. But I did like seeing the crew kind of unwind some. And the pictures of Caeser's family were nice. As for the song, I don't know if I liked it there or not. Might have to watch it again. I know I didn't like it playing at the start of the credits as much as "boys are Back in Town"
Old 05-13-11, 09:44 AM

Sounds good, can't wait to get my mitts on it... Hopefully sooner than later.
Old 05-13-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if the colour timing is different, similar to Rambo vs. John Rambo. This film could use brightening up so I hope so.
Old 05-13-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this may have been added to Cox On Demand. If so, I'll try to watch it this week. Sounds like it could be good.