Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World >> 11/09/2010

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several sources (including Matthew Chmiel) are reporting a November 9th release date for Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Wright tweeted about a 90m documentary and some other extras, but said at a Q+A somewhere that there weren't many deleted scenes. I'm just hoping they laid down several cast and crew commentaries for this one.
Old 09-07-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World >> 11/09/2010

Since I just got cited in a post, just a quick heads up.

Universal's original release date for the DVD/BD release was January 4th (IIRC) based upon the fact that the film doesn't debut in most European countries until October - November.

However, based upon the film's quick box office failure due to the fact that Universal can't market a film if their lives depended on it, we are seeing it on November 9th. I also wouldn't be surprised if Universal sends this straight-to-video in most countries ala another geek film they put out just less than five years ago. Ahem. Serenity. Ahem.
Old 09-07-10, 05:12 PM

Shame about its box office performance, but I CAN'T WAIT TO OWN THIS. This movie got the extra $200 in the US because of me, so I'll be pimping the video release on every corner. The movie deserves it.
Old 09-07-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obviously a day one purchase no matter what the price, since this is probably my favorite film of the year so far. The only real feature I would like would be multiple commentaries, and it would be really nice to hear Wright talk about the perceived BO failure of the film since he was so passionate about the project.
Old 09-07-10, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Will blind buy.......
Old 09-07-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Obviously a day one purchase no matter what the price, since this is probably my favorite film of the year so far. The only real feature I would like would be multiple commentaries, and it would be really nice to hear Wright talk about the perceived BO failure of the film since he was so passionate about the project.
I wouldn't be surprised if all of the commentaries were recorded prior to the film's release.
Old 09-07-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

it would be really nice to hear Wright talk about the perceived BO failure of the film since he was so passionate about the project.
His take on it is that he feels he made a great movie, the audiences who saw it have been deeply enthusiastic, and quite a few filmmakers he respect love it too. He's said he thinks it'll find a larger audience as time goes on.

The world has entirely too many people who obsess over box office receipts. I'd kind of just like to hear more about the movie, personally...to hear from Wright as a filmmaker, not an armchair accountant/marketing strategist.
Old 09-07-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to re-watch it once more before I decide to buy or not. I am not sure if it will have the same effect as seeing it the first time. Hopefully it comes out sooner than later though.
Old 09-07-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

To be fair, I don't think Universal's marketing had anything to do with the poor box office results.

That said, day one purchase. I can't wait to see this again.
Old 09-07-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The world has entirely too many people who obsess over box office receipts. I'd kind of just like to hear more about the movie, personally...to hear from Wright as a filmmaker, not an armchair accountant/marketing strategist.
I didn't say anything about him commenting as an "accountant/marketing" strategist. There are plenty of films with commentaries done after a film's release, where the creators have commented on fan & critic's reaction. Maybe you don't like to hear that, but I do, I find it quite interesting to hear a filmmakers perspective on what they think about their work being under-appreciated by BO sales. Directors all say the same thing about the process of making a movie, that is repetitive on commentaries. But their actual feelings are not always revealed. Wright is very open, & I would find a commentary very interesting with his thoughts on the film after it was released. If that doesn't interest you thats fine, I'm sure there will be plenty of stuff on the process of making the movie as there always is.
Old 09-07-10, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't say anything about him commenting as an "accountant/marketing" strategist. There are plenty of films with commentaries done after a film's release, where the creators have commented on fan & critic's reaction. Maybe you don't like to hear that, but I do, I find it quite interesting to hear a filmmakers perspective on what they think about their work being under-appreciated by BO sales. Directors all say the same thing about the process of making a movie, that is repetitive on commentaries. But their actual feelings are not always revealed. Wright is very open, & I would find a commentary very interesting with his thoughts on the film after it was released. If that doesn't interest you thats fine, I'm sure there will be plenty of stuff on the process of making the movie as there always is.
this....I welcome Wright to talk about the filmmaking process...BUT considering what happened to this film...yeah...I want to hear his thoughts on the BO of it. I'll take what I'm sure is a great commentary by him about the film but that added detail I'd love to hear about considering that I really feel bad for Wright on the basis of the BO on this film.
Old 09-07-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
To be fair, I don't think Universal's marketing had anything to do with the poor box office results.

I agree, personally I believe that this is a VERY hard film to market and even if it had to sit on the shelves for another 6 months I think it would have been a better decision to have released it in the spring when there aren't that many other films to choose from.

Other than that I LOVED the movie and will be getting the Blu-ray on release day!
Old 09-07-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Definitely will pick this up on Day 1. Fun film
Old 09-07-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

day 1. without a doubt.
Old 09-07-10, 07:40 PM
Cool New Member

Excited about this, will definitely buy day one. I'm hoping there's lots of good extras.
Old 09-07-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I agree, personally I believe that this is a VERY hard film to market and even if it had to sit on the shelves for another 6 months I think it would have been a better decision to have released it in the spring when there aren't that many other films to choose from.
Or wait a month or two and release it in September or October.

Universal blitzed it towards the fanboys, however, their money was already a guarantee. Just like Serenity, they preached to the choir, but couldn't figure out how to get the mainstream on board. Everyone I know, fanboy or not, has loved the film; however, Universal marketed towards the video game crowd... well... that was a mistake because we saw how the box office turned out.

Don't get me wrong, it'll find its life on video; I just think Universal could've done a better job at marketing it regardless of the fact that it was a tough sale. I'm just happy they spent over $60 million on the film because no other studio would've ever done that.
Old 09-07-10, 08:05 PM
Banned

How would you have marketed it? I think it was marketed well. It just didn't click w/ everyone cuz of the look and feel of it.
Old 09-07-10, 08:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like a rental to me.
Old 09-07-10, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Day one for me also.

I thought Universal's ads were awful, if I hadn't read the graphic novels and had only seen the ads for the movie I wouldn't of been interested in the movie at all.

Someone on another message board I go to had an excellent idea for TV spots, basically fake ads with the evil exes. For example you could have a fake ad for a Lucas Lee movie, a fake ad about being a vegan with Todd, a fake CD ad with the twins. At the end they would look at the screen and say something like "I'm coming for you Scott Pilgrim".

Maybe it wouldn't of gotten a huge increase in box office with ads like that, but I think they would of brought in more people then the awful ads Universal put out.
Old 09-07-10, 08:09 PM
Banned

Sounds like a neat gimmick but I don't think it would've done crap.
Old 09-07-10, 08:15 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Looks like a rental to me.
It's definitely not a blind buy kind of movie. A lot of people love or hate it; haven't seen much middle ground.
Old 09-07-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
How would you have marketed it? I think it was marketed well. It just didn't click w/ everyone cuz of the look and feel of it.
First off, I would've dropped the "It's on like Donkey Kong" tagline. Are you fucking kidding me Universal? That's the best you can do?

I would've marketed it as a romantic comedy with action elements and I personally would've not made any single reference to video games during the advertising. Shit, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it was based on a graphic novel either.
Old 09-07-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
First off, I would've dropped the "It's on like Donkey Kong" tagline. Are you fucking kidding me Universal? That's the best you can do?

I would've marketed it as a romantic comedy with action elements and I personally would've not made any single reference to video games during the advertising. Shit, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it was based on a graphic novel either.
Do the ads actually say it's based on a comic book?

I thought "It's on like Donkey Kong" was funny, actually (as far as taglines go).
Old 09-07-10, 08:40 PM
Banned

I don't think so...I can't find it.
Old 09-07-10, 08:41 PM

From what I've read Wright has the belief of "Just how many of your favorite films were box office successes?" He cares about the product, and not whether or not people bought it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.