Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Problems with Dexter season 4 Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 08-21-10, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one else experiencing problems with DEXTER season 4 Blu-ray?

In the episode "If I had a Hammer" (second disc) during the scene where Dexter is in Trinity killers house getting his cut bandaged my disc freezes up. You can let it work it's way past it, but he counter keeps moving..the audio drops and then it picks up again later in the conversation. (Oh and no it's not a layer change)

Checked it..clean..no scratches or imperfections. Wondering if it is an an authorization problem?
Old 08-21-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Problems with Dexter season 4 Blu-ray

The thing I always ask -

What Blu-ray player are you using?
Old 08-22-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Have the special feature(s) shown up on bd-live yet?

Personally I have to say how tacky it is that showtime treates their tv shows so crappy on bluray :-/
Old 08-22-10, 12:15 PM

Sony bpd-s360
Old 08-22-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd View Post
Have the special feature(s) shown up on bd-live yet?

Personally I have to say how tacky it is that showtime treates their tv shows so crappy on bluray :-/
I HATED that it went directly to the BD-Live when I loaded it up and the first time it wouldn't let me go to the main menu so I had to reboot the disc. What a bunch of shit. It is like a slap in the face that they put the special features on the BD-Live rather than on the disc itself.
Old 08-25-10, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else unable to get the free episodes to "play full screen"? I have it highlighted on the menu but it doesn't respond when i try and activate it with my remote. The screen pixelates on the left side of the picture when i press "ok" on the remote, so i think its trying to go full screen but cannot for some reason. My player is the Panny BD-60.
Old 08-27-10, 04:36 AM
Cool New Member

I have watched the whole season on blu ray from netflix on my vizio player and haven't had any issues whatsoever, but didn't play around with nay special features etc.
Old 09-04-10, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bucky Cat View Post
Any one else experiencing problems with DEXTER season 4 Blu-ray?

In the episode "If I had a Hammer" (second disc) during the scene where Dexter is in Trinity killers house getting his cut bandaged my disc freezes up. You can let it work it's way past it, but he counter keeps moving..the audio drops and then it picks up again later in the conversation. (Oh and no it's not a layer change)

Checked it..clean..no scratches or imperfections. Wondering if it is an an authorization problem?
I had the exact same problem during the exact same scene. I'm using a PS3. It also happened to me one other time, can't remember which episode.
Old 09-09-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, I can't get disc 3 to even load.

I'm on a PS3
Old 09-11-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eck, I love this show but I'll have to refrain from buying this. I'm still bummed that Blu Ray beat HD-DVD. HD-DVD didn't have anywhere near the amount of playability problems and glitchiness, and of course I detest BD-Live.
Old 09-11-10, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
Eck, I love this show but I'll have to refrain from buying this. I'm still bummed that Blu Ray beat HD-DVD. HD-DVD didn't have anywhere near the amount of playability problems and glitchiness, and of course I detest BD-Live.
Cool!
Old 09-11-10, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 383 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
I'm still bummed that Blu Ray beat HD-DVD.
I haven't had to put on my mod hat to say this in a couple of years now, but there's a rule against saying this sort of thing. Only leads to fights.
Old 01-31-11, 11:49 PM

Thought I'd report a problem with this blu-ray. Eps 1 & 2 played ok, but now this Disc 1 won't load. It just settles to read "0 000000" and no buttons have any effect. I'm using an Oppo 83 with the latest firmware. Was an xmas gift, may be too late to return...
Old 02-12-11, 07:49 AM
wjw

I bought Dexter Season Four on Blu-Ray from Amazon. I put Disk 1 into my sony BDPS570 player and it wouldn't load. Eventually it went to the BD live menu but none of the segments would play and the cursor would not move. It would not go to the main menu to choose an episode to watch. All of my players are using the most recent firmware.

I ejected the disk and tried it in my older PS3, same problem. Ejected it and tried it in my PS3 Slim, same problem.

I returned the set to Amazon. Two days later the replacement came. The replacement disk did the same exact thing.

I tried to rip the disk t my iMac's hard drive and it ripped and I converted the first episode to MP4 using Handbrake and I can play the episode from my Hard Drive. The process for one episode takes more than 6 hours.

I'm returning the set and getting a refund. I know if I get a replacement, it will have the same issues. Anyone else have a similar problem.
Old 02-12-11, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Have you tried disconnecting your player from the internet (so no BD-Live) and then trying to load it? I bet that works. BD-Live is terrible, and it's been known to cause this problem many times before.
Old 02-12-11, 09:29 AM
wjw

Thanks Kory.

I turned off BD Live, put in the disk and it went right to the BD Live menu, I hit the main menu button and it worked. I can now watch each episode.

Thanks again.

Bill
Old 02-13-11, 11:02 PM

To followup, my Oppo blu-ray is not connected to the internet, so that is not the problem.

More recently I checked Disc 1 on a different player, and it had the same problem, no buttons have any effect.
Old 02-14-11, 07:06 AM
wjw

Since you tried the disk in an Oppo, and couldn't get it to work, I'm giving up. From what I've heard, they'll play just about everything.

Taking the Sony BDP S570 off the network worked to play disk 1. I had to jump through hoops to do it. I didn't watch the disk.

I tried to watch it in my bedroom on a PS3 Slim and nothing worked. Offline I couldn't get anything to display on the screen.

I'm going to return the replacement Dexter 4 Blu-Ray to Amazon and get it on DVD instead.

Thanks for the Reply Starkfellow.