Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lolita and Barry Lyndon coming in 2011

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lolita and Barry Lyndon coming in 2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lolita and Barry Lyndon coming in 2011

Also a healthier file size: 38.9 GB, versus Lolita's paltry 23.5.
Old 05-25-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Also a healthier file size: 38.9 GB, versus Lolita's paltry 23.5.
Well, you're also looking at 3 hours of color versus 2.5 hours of monochrome, so it's not a level playing field, so to speak.
Old 05-25-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Well, you're also looking at 3 hours of color versus 2.5 hours of monochrome, so it's not a level playing field, so to speak.
True, but I still think Lolita's image would have benefited from a larger size/double-layer disc, though after poking around, I found out that Maltese Falcon, Casablanca and Sierra Madre all had similar feature sizes, so who knows.
Old 05-25-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
True, but I still think Lolita's image would have benefited from a larger size/double-layer disc, though after poking around, I found out that Maltese Falcon, Casablanca and Sierra Madre all had similar feature sizes, so who knows.
There are really too many variables to judge based solely on file size.
Old 05-25-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Casblanca is only about 16gb so yeah file size alone doesnt mean much unless it's really tiny and has to deal with a lot of grain.
Old 05-25-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a few very good words from Robert Harris

Even a viewer with the most pedestrian of tastes, and no knowledge of the cinema, can be pointed toward a screen with eyes open, and know within moments that they are seeing something extraordinary.

Mr. Kubrick's Barry Lyndon is one of those magisterial masterpieces that seldom appears, much like the sighting of a comet making its way across the horizon.

This one happened to appear 35 years ago.

Meticulously photographed by John Alcott in the style of 18th century paintings, and with many interiors shot via available light with specially designed optics, Barry Lyndon is a visual revelation.

Even revelations can be destroyed by the wrong person turning the wrong knob just a bit too much, and I'm pleased to report, after initially seeing some footage on screen late last year, that the Blu-ray of Barry Lyndon, had the right eyes turning the right knobs just the correct amount in our very dangerous digital world.

To my eye, the work performed to bring Barry Lyndon to the home theater environment via Blu-ray, has delivered a perfect final product.

Color, densities, black levels, shadow detail and grain structure all appear to be dead on. The uncompressed audio is, likewise, perfect.

A note about aspect ratios. There has been discussion that Barry Lyndon was composed for projection at 1.66:1, and this is an interesting thought. The problem, even in 1975, would have been that few cinemas were equipped to project that aspect ratio unless specially set up. In a very general sense, much of the world was running spherical at 1.75:1, while here in the colonies we were running at 1.85:1. 1.66:1 was a specific setup for revival theatres equipped with the necessary aperture plates, optics and maskings.

My feeling has always been that I would be thrilled if Barry Lyndon were to be released on Blu-ray at the HD native aspect ratio of 1.78:1, and the incorrect technical information on the reverse of the packaging aside, that is precisely what has occurred.

Warner's new Blu-ray of Barry Lyndon is a treasure, and will be one of the most important catalog releases of 2011.

An absolutely perfect Blu-ray.

Extremely Highly Recommended.

RAH
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...don-in-blu-ray

Last edited by musick; 05-25-11 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-26-11, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hrm...
Old 05-26-11, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Glenn Kenny interviewed Leon Vitali about the aspect ratio on Barry Lyndon:
http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/s...tio-issue.html
Leon Vitali: "Well I can tell you what now, okay; never was it ever 1.66, it wasn’t shot in 1.66, we never released it in 1.66 in any format whether it’s film or television or DVD. It was 1.77. It was shot it…I mean , the difference between 1.77 and 1.78 is miniscule, you couldn’t see it with a magnifying glass. And anyone who thought it was meant to be in 1.66 is sadly delusioned. Seeing as I was there, at every stage of it; shooting and everything, I should know. I should know."
Kenny goes on to say he looked for historical references for the 1.66:1 aspect ratio, and couldn't find any. Also, the book The Stanley Kubrick Archive lists Barry Lyndon't aspect ratio as 1.77:1. Still, that's a very odd aspect ratio for Kubrick to have originally shot in, since it wasn't a standard projection ratio at the time.
Old 05-26-11, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting quote form a DVD Talk interview with Vitali back in 2001:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/leonvitaliinterview.html
With multi-plexes things are different and so they only show a film in 1.85 or in 2.21, the Cinemascope. You know? You cannot put a mask in 1.66 as it should be for Clockwork Orange. You can't put a 1.77 [mask] in as it should be for Barry Lyndon..
Note that the interview was for the 2001 DVD set The New Stanley Kubrick Collection, which presented Barry Lydon in 1.66:1.
Old 05-26-11, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I'm confused... I've never heard of anyone shooting 1.77 for a theatrical feature prior to the DTV standard. 1.75, sure...
Old 05-26-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some interesting comments on the Glenn Kenny blog post.

http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/s...54328e62ab970c
Originally Posted by Dwigt
There are reports in the John Baxter biography [Stanley Kubrick: A Biography] that a projection [of Barry Lyndon] was stopped in London as the theatre had picked the wrong aspect ratio.

There's an interview with the at the time Warner head of publicity for Europe in the Michel Ciment book [Kubrick: The Definitive Edition] where he states that Kubrick as curious about how the movie would be screened. He had a few questions for the theaters that were booked in France and Germany and discovered that most of them didn't own a 1.66:1 soft matte anymore, while it cost a few quids. So, they sent the matte to all theaters.
Anyone have these books that can confirm these stories?

More comments:
http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/s...4e88af4e2c970d
Originally Posted by Bilge Ebiri
I want to add that the old laserdisc [in 1.66:1] actually SAYS on it that it was transferred under Kubrick's supervision. FWIW.

To wit: "Transferred under the supervision of Mr. Kubrick, 'Barry Lyndon' is presented in a matted widescreen format preserving the aspect ratio of its original theatrical presentation. The black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are normal for this format."
http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/s...538ebbd74e970b
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke
For what it's worth, when I was at the Everyman Cinema in London in the early 1990s - which for many years was the only UK venue to play 'Barry Lyndon' (the booking guy at Warners once joked that he might as well let us look after the print, as it only ever seemed to shuttle backwards and forward between us and the depot) - we always screened it at 1.66:1, under the impression that that was the correct aspect ratio. Since I don't recall any discussion of this at the time, I assume it was marked that way on the film cans.

We knew for a fact that it wasn't 1.85:1, because of an anecdote we'd heard from Geoff Andrew (Time Out/BFI Southbank programmer) - when he was a projectionist at the Electric Cinema, he ran it at 1.85:1, and received an outraged complaint from Kubrick's office, who had sent a spy to the screening. I know for a fact that the practice continued into the 1990s, as I had two or three calls from Vitali (representing Kubrick's office) about other matters in connection with our screenings, based on reports received - but he never once complained about the aspect ratio.

Not that it would have done him much good if he had, because as Dwigt points out above, the 1.77:1 aspect ratio was non-standard. We could handle 1.33:1, 1.66:1, 1.85:1 and 2.35:1, but that was it - and I doubt very much that many other cinemas could say anything different. In fact, we did better than many, as we could at least show 1.33:1 properly.
Old 05-26-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Additional collaboration on the Ciment book:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.me...803b322e0a2cf5
Originally Posted by David Mullen
But to confuse the issue more, in the Ciment book on Kubrick, a Warners
Publicity person remembers that for "Barry Lyndon" Kubrick had 1.66
projector masks shipped to certain theaters in France and Germany that only
had 1.85 masks.
Old 05-26-11, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if only Kubrick hadn't died that early....
Old 05-26-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glenn Kenny has updated his blog post:
http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/s...tio-issue.html

First, he quotes a book citation brought up in the comments:
[The] interview is with Julian Senior, publicity director, and relevant passages are on pages 223 and 225 of the "definitive edition" of Ciment's Kubrick, published in the U.S. by Faber and Faber in 2001....

"For Barry Lyndon it was very important—given the experiments in lighting—for the projection equipment to be the best possible. Of course, we had neither the means nor the authority to replace them all, but what we discovered from checking all the principal cinemas in France and Germany was that two-thirds of them didn't have a 1.66 mask, something that costs no more than a few pounds. The projectionists told us that the image would overlap a little on the sides. So Kubrick's assistants had all the projectors equipped for a decent screening of the film—and at the same time for every other film!"
The story that the same was done for the US release is thought to be apocryphal, perhaps misatributing the US when it was Germany & France that got the masks.

Kenny quotes an email exchange with a projectionist friend:
"I've handled a 35mm print of Barry Lyndon in 1993, and it was hard-matted to approximately 1.66 (I didn't get the calipers out to check it), and I ran it 1.85. The titles (which are the visual guide most projectionists use to center the framing) fit perfectly in the 1.85 area. My best educated guess is that it's designed for 1.66 (let's call it Kubrick's preferred ratio) and safe at 1.85."
And regarding the Taschen book The Stanley Kubrick Archive:
"I pulled out the Taschen book last night as well and measured one of the storyboards—the one at the top of a right-hand page that is a montage of several photos and indicates the camera movements and timing. The 'blue box' drawn on the storyboard measures 1.77:1." The illo in question is on page 435, and is designated "BLY 20" for those who have the book.

Last edited by Jay G.; 05-26-11 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-26-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Robert Harris has posted his opinion on the Barry Lyndon Blu-ray in comment #9 on this blog post:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2011/...t_add_up_1.php
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
This is one of those situations where everyone (almost) is correct.

Mr. Kubrick passed away a dozen years ago, and at that time he had set standards for home video viewing of his works for both WB and Criterion.

To this day, I find his Criterion directives to have a bit of a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" attitude about them, with their exposure of multiple aspect ratio in-camera mattes.

His films, by his authority, were set up to be viewed in the highest possible aspect ratio. And they were designed that way because that was the way he wanted them to be seen.

On home video.

On 4:3 screens.

Some up to a huge 35" diagonally.

He abhorred pan & scan, preferring to open mattes even to the point of revealing certain things that today might be digitally erased.

If anyone understood his directives, it was Mr. Vitali, and after SK's passing it is Mr. Vitali who within rational limits, and based upon ever-changing technology does his best to see that SK's work is handled in the best way possible.

I've not examined the OCN of Barry Lyndon, but it is said that the film was shot open matte at around 1.6:1, ie. via a camera aperture. This makes sense.

The film would have been protected at least to 1.66, but with the exception of controlled screenings, would not have been seen that way.

1.66:1 was an aspect ratio that ended here in the Colonies c. 1953, with films like Rear Window. By 1954, Paramount's VistaVision had set 1.85:1 as a perfunctory standard. Columbia and other studios followed suit. By 1975 few theaters were able to run at 1.66, as standards were 1.85 and 2.35. Not long after, the standard for some theaters unfortunately became 2:1. That made things easy. Crop both spherical films as well as scope productions to the same imagery.

One screen fits all.

Barry Lyndon looks terrific at 1.66. My personal feeling is that at 1.85, it is cramped, and would prefer not to see it at that ratio.

But the native HD ratio of 1.78:1 works just fine with the film.

1.66 would also, just slightly different. And to most, an unnoticeable difference.

Mr. Vitali knows of what he speaks. Beyond his acting career, he's a filmmaker. He is also still supporting SK, as he has in the past.

And with his knowledge, he understands that things change, and that decisions made by Mr. Kubrick in the late 1990s no longer apply in the home theater world of today.

I don't think I'd be going out on the limb by saying that I believe SK would be pleased with what WB has done with his film. It is more highly resolved and more stable than any print had ever been. The work performed by Warner's MPI is as perfect as technologically possible.

And as far as aspect ratios go, anything between 1.66:1 and 1.78:1 will do just fine.

Keep in mind that in stating this, I'm leaving the real world behind. That world of cinemas to project necessitates (in many cases) reverse trapezoidal projection aperture plates, in order to create the illusion of a rectangular image on screen.

All of this, in the real world, means that in 1975, most theaters would have run Barry Lyndon at 1.85, and probably 1.75 in Europe and the UK. In some theaters it may well have run at 1.66.

At the beginning of this comment, I noted that almost everyone is correct. The single incorrect notion is that the film would ever be properly projected at 1.59 or 1.6:1, as shot, but never intended to be seen.

Mr. Wells is passionate about film, and that passion is to be respected. Mr. Vitali knows precisely what Mr. Kubrick's desires and mindsets were, and is uniquely capable of translating them to the necessities of current home theater technology.

RAH
Of particular note is when he writes "it is said that the film was shot open matte at around 1.6:1, ie. via a camera aperture." Others have noted that the Laserdisc and earlier DVD releases were actually 1.59:1 or 1.6:1, instead of 1.66:1. If you take that with the projectionist's account that the theatrical print was hard-matted to "around 1.66:1", then this means that the original negative is likely "hard-matted" 1.6:1, meaning that this aspect ratio is the "full frame" version of the film.

This explains why the laserdisc and earlier DVD releases were letterboxed to this aspect ratio, despite WB releasing other films open-matted to 4:3, 1.6:1 is as tall as they could go without cropping. It also explains why the LD is director-approved: this is back when Kubrick preferred the home video versions to be open-matte.

So the previous LD and DVD releases were not OAR, and were likely not the aspect ratio Kubrick originally composed for. The evidence suggests that Kubrick wanted the film to be seen theatrically in 1.66:1, although this might've been just in preference to the alternative of 1.85:1. Still, composing for 1.77:1 seems unlikely, considering that no theater would've screened it that way, and it wouldn't be released on home video that way (at least initially).

BTW, the blog post above contains comparison pics between the aspect ratios for the older DVDs and this Blu-ray. The Blu-ray actually adds some image on the sides, while cropping the top and bottom some, but not detrimentally so in the shots provided. This blog post has the same comparison images, but presented without as much commentary:
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2011/...ng_of_barr.php
Old 05-27-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-ray.com review of Barry Lyndon
Old 05-27-11, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-ray.com review of Lolita
Old 05-27-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another biography quote:
http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/s...54329391f7970c
John Baxter's 1997 Kubrick biography, Pg. 293:

"Once the film opened in the West End [of London], Kubric's interest in how it was received became even more intense. Five minutes into one of its first screenings at Warners' flagship Leicester Square cinema, a Kubrick assistant burst into the manager's office and demanded that the film be stopped and restarted, as the projectionist was showing it in the 1.85:1 ratio, not the 1.66:1 ratio which Kubrick preferred. When the manager declined, the assistant responded with the familiar wail, 'But what am I going to tell Stanley?' "
Also, pic of a page from the Stanley Kubrick Archive book listing the aspect ratio of Barry Lyndon as 1.77:1. However, it also lists his last three films as being 1.33:1, while many consider their OAR to be 1.85:1 and WHV has cropped them all to 1.78:1 for the Blu-rays:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankko/12335365/
Old 05-28-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This may be a case where Warner's 1.78:1 ratio just happens to be closer to the actual intent. Had these been handled by a studio that does true 1.85:1 transfers like Universal, but with the same people in charge, BL might have actually been released on BD at 1.85:1.

Although, I don't think Warner crops the films, but rather opens the mattes a little.
Old 05-28-11, 06:19 PM

In other news: the packaging for the new limited set is BRUTAL. I mean, it's really very pretty, very nicely designed from a visual standpoint, but you have to dig in to the VERY tight cardboard sleeve each movie is housed in with your index finger and thumb and PULL. Lolita wouldn't play for me at first until I noticed I'd left multiple smudge marks on the disc! And no, before anyone asks, I'm not overly greasy or anything!

Also, I have to say, even though it's good value for money, I'm really disappointed this set is essentially just repackaging of the already existing blu-rays with two new discs thrown in. The older releases could really have used new mastering...REALLY.
Old 05-28-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mcharro3
In other news: the packaging for the new limited set is BRUTAL. I mean, it's really very pretty, very nicely designed from a visual standpoint, but you have to dig in to the VERY tight cardboard sleeve each movie is housed in with your index finger and thumb and PULL. Lolita wouldn't play for me at first until I noticed I'd left multiple smudge marks on the disc! And no, before anyone asks, I'm not overly greasy or anything!

Also, I have to say, even though it's good value for money, I'm really disappointed this set is essentially just repackaging of the already existing blu-rays with two new discs thrown in. The older releases could really have used new mastering...REALLY.
That's what I was afraid of. Personally, I don't care for this kind of packaging. Glad I'm acquiring the Kubrick BDs separately.
Old 05-28-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Glad I'm acquiring the Kubrick BDs separately.
Me too. I was excited about this thing for about an hour because at the time it was announced I'd only purchased "2001" for less than $10 so "upgrading" to this set would have been pretty painless for me.

My biggest concern was the singular packaging that makes future upgrading impossible. "Spartacus" is the best example, as I said earlier: a Criterion release is extremely likely (Universal is still licensing to Criterion in the Blu era, Criterion has existing extras and a lot of love for Kubrick as of late, Universal's disc was universally panned and Robert A. Harris has expressed interest in a proper Blu release) and by packaging this thing the way they have you're pretty much stuck with the included releases. Granted, you could simply replace the Universal disc with the Criterion one but there's always the chance that they'll do a 2-disc release.

In the past few months I've gone beyond "2001" and acquired most of the Kubrick's (including Tuesday's 3 new individual releases which just shipped from Amazon.com today) and if there's one caveat to my decision to buy individually its that my purchases (including my $10 "2001" purchase a while back) is almost exactly what Amazon's $105 price works out to and I haven't bought "Spartacus" so you do ultimately wind up with an extra movie for your value.

Then again, you get what you pay for. But who am I kidding? If I see "Spartacus" drop below $10 in the next few months the obsessed collector in me will bite the bullet to have all of Kubrick's available movies on Blu even if the disc is awful. But again, at least I'll be able to replace it with the proper release later.
Old 05-28-11, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got the Aus versions, both look pretty solid to me. Barry Lyndon's different framing is really not much of an issue. The shots still look well composed.
Old 05-29-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interested in the 1.75:1 aspect ratio (which seems the 2nd most likely intended aspect ratio, after 1.66:1), I came across this info:

http://www.dcineco.com/glossary.htm
1.75:1 - UK Widescreen standard film ratio during 1960’s and 70’s
Disney also used a 1.75:1 aspect ratio for animated films released in the 60's and 70's:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mov...explained.html

Here's a mention of The Beatles' 1965 film Help!:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...93&postcount=3
Research done by Jeff Joseph indicates that the "correct" theatrical aspect ratio for the films was 1.75:1
Interesting thread on 1.75:1 in history:
http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=9103
Old 05-30-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stanley Kubrick's Lolita, in beautiful black & white, was his sixth of only a thirteen films, created over forty-five years.

Arriving on Blu-ray, it looks perfect. Properly set in a 1.66:1 aspect ratio, I'm seeing no problems whatsoever. A gorgeous gray scale, with rich blacks and a full mid-range. Shadow detail is terrific. Viewing at 1.66, it becomes obvious that anything wider, cropping the top or bottom of the image, would be inappropriate.

Not a great deal to report, other than image and audio are both perfect, with audio encoded as DTS-MA single channel only, which is also proper.

Very Highly Recommended, especially at a street price of only $15.

RAH
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...ita-in-blu-ray

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.