Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jacob's Ladder 9/14

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Jacob's Ladder 9/14

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jacob's Ladder 9/14

sorry but this deserves it's own thread and not something buried in the announcements thread

'Jacob's Ladder' Blu-ray Announced
Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 03:30 PM ET

Tim Robbins loses his mind in the critically-acclaimed psychological thriller hitting Blu-ray this fall.

In another early announcement to retailers, Lionsgate says 'Jacob's Ladder' also starring Jason Alexander and Elizabeth Pena is coming to Blu-ray on September 14.

Directed by Academy Award® nominee Adrian Lyne (Best Director, 'Fatal Attraction,' 1987), this "bold, powerful psychological horror film" (Chicago Reader) stars Oscar® winner Tim Robbins (Best Actor in a Supporting Role, 'Mystic River,' 2004) as Singer, a mild-mannered Vietnam vet thrust into an unsettling journey filled with fear, bewilderment and strange fascination.

Specs have yet to be revealed, but supplements will include a director's commentary, a Making-Of featurette, deleted scenes, and a trailer.

Suggested list price for the Blu-ray is $19.99
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...Announced/4941

funny... I threw this in on dvd a few weeks back and it still holds up extremely well today.... can't wait to get a nice HD transfer (x fingers)
Old 06-22-10, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Jacob's Ladder 9/14

Very exciting, this is one of my favorite movies.
Old 06-23-10, 08:57 AM

Awesome film! September is turning out to be an expensive month for me.
Old 06-23-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know if I could watch Jacob in high def. I remember this film being just too creepy for me. However, Tim Robbins was fantastic in this role.
Old 06-23-10, 01:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Effective movie from what I recall (been years since I've seen it). Looking forward to catching it on BD.
Old 06-23-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I assume this will be the same transfer as the UK BD since that just came out this year. I'm happy with that disc.
Old 06-23-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Awesome news!

Still figuring out if I want to hold out for Special Features, or get the UK BD which I believe has no Extras.
Old 06-23-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I assume this will be the same transfer as the UK BD since that just came out this year. I'm happy with that disc.
yeah, me too. I even kept my DVD for the special features. I doubt the US release will be getting HD special features.
Old 06-23-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow, that's a random title for Blu. I didn't think we'd be getting this for years, if ever. Good choice.
Old 06-23-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course, I just bought a Quadruple Feature for Thinner and Jacob's Ladder, and then this.
Old 06-24-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I guess this is a spoiler, so I'll spoilerize it but:

Spoiler:
Tim Robbins doesn't lose his mind
Old 06-24-10, 03:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, that's awesome and unexpected news. I'm getting this one for sure.
Old 06-24-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

An excellent movie. I'm shocked it's coming out on Blu-Ray though.
Old 06-25-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's Lionsgate, so let's hope they have a good HD master of the film, since they won't be putting any additional work into it.
Old 06-25-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll def grab this once it hits $10.
Old 09-14-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Did anybody see one of these in any B&M stores today?
Old 09-14-10, 09:10 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Did anybody see one of these in any B&M stores today?
my best buy said they weren't carrying it in store
Old 10-01-10, 08:29 PM
Cool New Member

After reading some reviews of it, I don't know if it's worth getting Jacob's Ladder on Blu-ray, as it doesn't seem to offer much improvement in picture quality over the standard-def version.
Old 10-01-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Malano L
After reading some reviews of it, I don't know if it's worth getting Jacob's Ladder on Blu-ray, as it doesn't seem to offer much improvement in picture quality over the standard-def version.
I love this movie so I'll be picking it up eventually
I highly doubt we are going to see any kind of reissue on this format anytime soon if ever at all so any upgrade to the best possible version is good by me
I'm more disappointed in the pathetic cover art

Jacob's Ladder debuts on Blu-ray in North American in a 1.85.1 anamorphic widescreen transfer using MPEG-4 encoding. Those who haven't seen the film before might be a bit taken aback by the grim and deliberately flat looking color scheme employed in the picture and this look has been carried over to the transfer, as it should be. The film exists in a world of blacks and browns and dirty grey tones, so don't expect it to pop much. Skin tones are lifelike and natural looking and close ups show good detail but there's a softness inherent in the film's look and cinematography that ensures that this film will never be reference quality demo material. Print damage is held in check though a natural (and at times moderately heavy) coat of film grain is present. With so much of the film taking place in dimly lit areas and grimy locations, it's never going to look all that slick or all that pretty and the haziness and soft focus used will probably irritate some viewers but the disc is an improvement over the standard definition release not just in terms of detail and texture but in clarity as well. The lack of compression artifacts and nasty edge enhancement is also a plus.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/44415/jacobs-ladder/

Jacob's Ladder climbs onto Blu-ray with an AVC encoded 1080p image in 1.85:1. This was never the sharpest looking film even in its theatrical presentation, and this Blu-ray certainly replicates that softness to a tee. While there is a noticeable upgrade over the SD-DVD, it isn't to the point where anyone other than ardent fans may want to invest in this version. Lyne and DP Jeffrey L. Kimball opt for a deliberately lo-fi, extremely grainy and low contrast look which some who are new to the film may mistake for a less than stellar transfer on this particular Blu-ray. Colors are never extremely well saturated here, and the entire film is dark and fuzzy. All of this said, close-ups reveal some nice detail and several segments, notably the opening Vietnam sequence, while drenched in a hazy yellow color, offer considerably more sharpness than the SD-DVD.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jacobs.../12965/#Review

That said, Lionsgate has done a commendable job bringing this murky film to Blu-ray. The encode is nearly flawless – I only noted a few minor instances of compression grain. The print has been cleaned up as well, removing virtually all of the nasty bits of dust and dirt specks found on both the previous DVD and HDTV encodes (incidentally, the HDTV 1080i version looks much worse than the standard DVD).

While this restoration probably could have been polished and tweaked a little more to bring out more depth and detail, ultimately, I can' really fault Lionsgate. They did the best they could on a budget, and while the results still aren't particularly appealing, this is easily the best Jacob's Ladder has ever looked.
http://ie.bluray.ign.com/articles/112/1120480p1.html
Old 10-01-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Mine has been on backorder from Deep Discount for 2 weeks.
Old 10-02-10, 07:17 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks, Musick. It might be worth it after all. That's one movie I can watch again and again. As for the cover art on the Blu-ray disc, yeah--yikes.