Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

AMERICAN BEAUTY on BLU!!!!!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

AMERICAN BEAUTY on BLU!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: AMERICAN BEAUTY on BLU!!!!!

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
Is this some kind of reference that went over my head, or did you actually just make a blatantly racist remark?
Ya mean like this:

Old 09-21-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
The answer to your problem is hidden in your last sentence. It sounds like Paramount (or Technicolor, or whoever manufactures their discs) didn't get the product delivered to retailers in time. There are literally hundreds of possibilities for this. When I worked shipping/receiving, we usually got new releases on the Friday before the release. During winter... they often showed up late Tuesday, or even Wednesday. Shit happens, man. The retailers have absolutely no control over that. Sending Amazon an angry email, telling them you're going to post their response on "every website" doesn't do any good. But, you'll probably get a coupon code or something, because that's how they roll.
I have not once, ever, received an coupon from Amazon for any delayed order. Or even a lost order. Nor have I asked for one.
Old 09-21-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew there was going to be a problem when AB was not in Shipping Soon status like my Paula Cole cd. With Prime, your order will be in shipping soon on Sunday or Monday morning.

I called. The guy totally was cool with me and he even called over his manager because they knew Prime members were supposed to get their order on its release day.

So they thought it might have been an error with my order, we cancelled it and ordered it again and he offered free 1 day shipping and it STILL showed a release date that was no different than the late 2 shipping order that I called about.

So then the manager just created an order at the call center and he couldn't get it to work and they told me they thought if I wanted to have it by release day, I'd better off getting it from a store nearby (which I did).

The guy apologized for the problem and offered me a $20 credit which I've already spent.
Old 09-21-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I knew there was going to be a problem when AB was not in Shipping Soon status like my Paula Cole cd. With Prime, your order will be in shipping soon on Sunday or Monday morning.

I called. The guy totally was cool with me and he even called over his manager because they knew Prime members were supposed to get their order on its release day.

So they thought it might have been an error with my order, we cancelled it and ordered it again and he offered free 1 day shipping and it STILL showed a release date that was no different than the late 2 shipping order that I called about.

So then the manager just created an order at the call center and he couldn't get it to work and they told me they thought if I wanted to have it by release day, I'd better off getting it from a store nearby (which I did).

The guy apologized for the problem and offered me a $20 credit which I've already spent.
Now that's a nice story. And one that gives me hope. As I mentioned in another thread, I never got my "Seven" BD by last Tuesday (and I too am a Prime Customer). I was first put in contact with LaserShip, one of their sub carriers. And the girl there was so rude to me. A day or so later, I called again, they said it was delivered. Turns out, they delivered it to the wrong house. And whoever that person was, kept it. So I got on the phone with Amazon and they had to resend it. I know they are outsourced. And the connection was so bad. We were literally talking over each other. I was so afraid she was going to send the wrong item. I had to repeat my information over and over. Finally got the movie.

Last edited by Daytripper; 09-21-10 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Now that's a nice story. And one that gives me hope. As I mentioned in another thread, I never got my "Seven" BD by last Tuesday (and I too am a Prime Customer). I was first put in contact with LaserShip, one of their sub carriers. And the girl there was so rude to me. A day or so later, I called again, they said it was delivered. Turns out, they delivered it to the wrong house. And whoever that person was, kept it. So I got on the phone with Amazon and they had to resend it. I know they are outsourced. And the connection was so back. We were literally talking over each other. I was so afraid she was going to send the wrong item. I had to repeat my information over and over. Finally got the movie.
People can call me any kind of name they like, but if I think I have a difficult issue and need to call, I will not speak to anyone outside of the US.

The W. Virginia reps are good, but the Washington reps are the best. That often requires calling, hanging up and hitting redial about 8-10 times.

I start off by asking what call center I'm speaking with and I'm always polite. Honestly, Amazon makes more mistakes than I think they should, but they generally handle then better than any other business that I deal with a lot.

If it's complicated, I only deal with US reps and no matter whether it's a simple problem or a more complicated one, I'm always very nice and polite.

So places you can always take the high road and you'll really feel like it's not even worth it, but not with Amazon.

It takes a little more effort to make sure that I get the best price (why it can change in their system, but sometimes not go down in my pre-order, I'll never get), but I still think if you purchase a lot on release day, they give the best prices and most reliable shipping of anyone out there.
Old 09-21-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My copy of American beauty arrived today delivered Via On-Trac along with my copies of Robin Hood, Human Target, and Tinkerbell and the great Farie Rescue.
I did order the very first day it was made availble though, and I had to call in about 3 times to get them to finally adjust the price to 19.99 as it had been still sitting at 22.99 for the last month.
so i guess it kind of balances out, going to watch it tonight.
the only negative is mine doesnt have a slip cover.

I do find it rather intresting that some of the same people who gave me a hard time about me politely complaining to them that my clash of the titans digi book was going to arrive 5to8 days late for no reason at all are now complaining their american beauty blurays havent been shipped yet either.

Amazon is pretty good about making it up to you, if you call them up politely. I didnt ask for anything extra, but the girl at the time to make up for the inconvience knocked 15 off the order price even though i had promo credit on the order that i used when i placed the order originally. so i ended up getting it for 1.99
so chances are if you call up and dont get IRATE they will go out the way to make up the delay for you

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 09-21-10 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
My copy of American beauty arrived today delivered Via On-Trac along with my copies of Robin Hood, Human Target, and Tinkerbell and the great Farie Rescue.
I did order the very first day it was made availble though, and I had to call in about 3 times to get them to finally adjust the price to 19.99 as it had been still sitting at 22.99 for the last month.
so i guess it kind of balances out, going to watch it tonight.
the only negative is mine doesnt have a slip cover.

I do find it rather intresting that some of the same people who gave me a hard time about me complaining that my clash of the titans digi book was going to arrive 5to8 days late for no reason at all are now complaining their american beauty blurays havent been shipped yet either.
You should be really nice and go into the nearest Target or BB with the movie unsealed, tell them you paid cash, and the movie skips so you can get the slip.

I always want a slip if I have a choice but I'm not crazy about them either. But it's a nice slip and it will probably look better with your other Sapphire releases.
Old 09-21-10, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Called and nothing for me.

They said they are sending out first to people who ordered one day shipping...even though it was guaranteed for delivery today. He did state I would get it in 2 days from when it shipped, so that means its OK

I'll call tomorrow morning.
Old 09-21-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Dude, tell me about it... As a Project Manager, I've interviewed many Indians (not Americans of Indian origin) and they all lie like hell on their resumes... don't know shit when you ask them a few questions.

Funniest interview ever was when I was interviewing for a Business Analyst position. I ask the dude who claimed to have ten years experience as a BA whats in a requirement document. He asked me, 'how do you mean?' I replied, if you were to open up a requirement document, what would you see in it. So then for the next couple of minutes, the dude proceeds to open up his his frickin laptop, turns it on, opens a damn requirement document and starts reading the sections. I'm like, homeboy, if you've done this shit for ten years, I'd expect you to know it by heart. Interview over...

Ok, sorry for the rant... Back to American Beauty...
Oh Joe, I'm sure you and I can share Staffing war stories for hours. Yeah, they not only lie on their resume, they have others take online technical tests for them too. I've busted so many. Another thing I prepare myself for, most ask for money at the very last minute after you close them. So I always original close them at the beginning much lower to give me the margin. Have to, or I get screwed. It happens. I worked at the World Bank a few years ago for many years and still very friendly with so many people from there. I've shared stories with them and even asked for advice on dealing with certain cultures. It's certainly helped!

Back on topic......I'm so bummed I didn't get "AB" today. I haven't seen it in years. Got "Robin Hood" though and pleased with the PQ and audio.
Old 09-23-10, 08:11 PM

For what it's worth, I had my copy from Netflix on Tuesday afternoon.
Old 09-25-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yay! Got my copy today in the mail.
Old 09-25-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Hello! My name is Peggy. Thank you for calling. How may I help you?
Old 09-25-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Hello! My name is Peggy. Thank you for calling. How may I help you?
LOL! I love that commercial. So true.
Old 09-25-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, the PQ is pretty bad on this.
Old 09-25-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn. I was gonna buy this too, but I keep hearing the transfer looks bad. This Sapphire Series is turning into a pretty epic fail. I've started considering the "Sapphire Series" label as a warning of bad video quality.

I know they've gone back and fixed a couple of them, but in the store, how do you know if you're getting a first or revised printing? And at this point, don't they realize that people who have adopted Blu Ray are audio/video philes and the reviews will be bad and they'll have to re-do it anyway? Feh.
Old 09-25-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not that bad at all. If it wasn't a Sapphire title, the level of complaints would be lower. Deservedly so by the way. They should not introduce a line and release titles like AB with picture issues and no new supplements.

That said most of the film looks like a 4 out of 5, but the problems pointed out do exist and, so, I agree it deserves a 3.5 out of 5 in PQ.

But I was still very pleased watching it, just bummed they released a good transfer and not a great transfer and the lack of any new special features was also a bummer. But the movie is so extraordinary, I'm not unhappy that I bought it.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 09-25-10 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-25-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would give it a 3/5 PQ rating. A lot of the professional online reviews are giving it the same.
Old 09-25-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just a soft picture or could have been better?
Old 09-25-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
It's not that bad at all. If it wasn't a Sapphire title, the level of complaints would be lower. Deservedly so by the way. They should not introduce a line and release titles like AB with picture issues and no new supplements.

That said most of the film looks like a 4 out of 5, but the problem pointed out do exist and, so, I agree it deserves a 3.5 out of 5 in PQ.

But I was still very pleased watching it, just bummed they released a good transfer and not a great transfer and the lack of any new special features was also a bummer. But the movie is so extraordinary, I'm not unhappy that I bought it.
It IS a great movie and I do want it on Blu Ray, but if recent history is any guide there will be a new transfer made in the near future and they'll put out a new disc.

I'm thinking of the Gangs of New York fiasco plus Gladiator etc.. I'll just Netflix it for now and buy when they fix the transfer. In this economy they should really try to get it right the first time because consumers are going to get burned out by the double-dipping and stop buying altogether.
Old 09-25-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I'm thinking of the Gangs of New York fiasco plus Gladiator etc..
AB isn't nearly as bad as either of these. There won't be a re-release.
Old 09-25-10, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
AB isn't nearly as bad as either of these. There won't be a re-release.
I totally agree. There will be NO re-release.
Old 09-26-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same here.
Old 01-11-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this BD on my Amazon wish list for quite some time but refused to pay $24.99 for it. Once the price dropped last week for a brief period, I pulled the trigger. I figured for $25 and the moniker "Sapphire Series" it much be pretty special packaging, etc. Like page 1 shows (looks like a box):

What I got was a crappy case with the holes in the front plastic and no book or anything else indicating this was a cut above any standard catalog release. What a joke.

HOWEVER, I look forward to watching it's HD goodness.
Old 01-11-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It used to have a slipcover.
Old 01-11-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I had this BD on my Amazon wish list for quite some time but refused to pay $24.99 for it. Once the price dropped last week for a brief period, I pulled the trigger.
Did you see the current BB deal where you can trade in any old DVD for $5? Brings the net cost of AB down to $5+ tax.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.