Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bad to keep a Blu-ray on pause for awhile?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 05:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Didn't really know if keeping a Blu-ray on pause for long period of time (so as to not have to reboot from beginning) and just play when i am ready to watch would be bad for a disc or the player...

thoughts?
Old 06-06-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bad to keep a Blu-ray on pause for awhile?

I doubt it would be bad for the disc, but I see your blu-ray drive motor burning out a lot faster if you make this a habit...
Old 06-06-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

What do you consider "long period of time?"

Is a minute or so of your life really THAT precious to possibly damage (or, at the very least, shorten the life of) your player?
Old 06-06-10, 05:46 PM

It's definately bad for the player. Anecdotally, I left my DVD player on for days with a disc in so I could resume where i left off instead of having to find the spot again and it blew out one of the capacitors on the board. I had to break out the soldering iron and replace it to fix it. Not sure if this is case with Blu-Ray players, but I wouldn't risk it.
Old 06-06-10, 06:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah. I've heard rumors that if you leave a Blu-ray in long enough. it will catch fire and send out mini robots to kill you and your dog.
Old 06-06-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see how it would have any impact on the disc... but it obviously provides additional wear-and-tear on the player. And it would seem to be using a lot of unnecessary electricity. Could end up being pretty a pretty costly choice vs. just shutting off the player and spending a minute to return to your place.
Old 06-06-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It only really bothers me when there are all the forced trailers and it takes forever to get to the movie. I'll usually set the bookmark or if they don't have one just remember where I am in the movie. If that much time has gone by that I can't remember I'll just start over.
Old 06-06-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yeah. I've heard rumors that if you leave a Blu-ray in long enough. it will catch fire and send out mini robots to kill you and your dog.
I, for one, welcome our mini robot overlords.
Old 06-07-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
"Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter."
Old 06-07-10, 10:36 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

yeah, that all makes sense ('cept for the mini robots part ). didn't think about wear on motor when in extended pause mode.
Old 06-07-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sandman007
It's definately bad for the player. Anecdotally, I left my DVD player on for days with a disc in so I could resume where i left off instead of having to find the spot again...
A few days?!?! WTH!

Seriously though, in terms of wear and tear, is a player being on Pause any worse than it being in Play mode?
Old 06-07-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
yeah, that all makes sense ('cept for the mini robots part ). didn't think about wear on motor when in extended pause mode.
The mini robots make a ton of sense, except for the fact I don't own a dog...only a cat that likes to eat and sleep and poop a lot. Perhaps the mini robots are after my future dog, in which case that is very scary and serious stuff. I will best take note and not leave my Blu-ray player ever in pause mode except for a second to give my cat another food bowl.
Old 06-09-10, 09:32 PM
Banned

I leave one paused while I eat dinner sometimes. My thing though is I refuse to shut players down anymore. I've gotten tired of waiting for DVD/BD players to boot up like a damn computer, so I just keep things running. The only thing I kind of baby is my HD-DVD player, for obvious reasons, and the fact I rarely use it. Drives me nuts when I want to watch an HD-DVD and it takes forever to boot up and spit the tray out at me though. I've had my PS3 and 360 running 24/7 over a year and both still work. Well, I claimed my PRP on the 360 last week cause the controller broke and the PRP was almost expired. lol
Old 06-09-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I wouldn't worry so much about the BD player as I would about burn-in on my HDTV.
Old 06-10-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Viper187
I leave one paused while I eat dinner sometimes. My thing though is I refuse to shut players down anymore. I've gotten tired of waiting for DVD/BD players to boot up like a damn computer, so I just keep things running. The only thing I kind of baby is my HD-DVD player, for obvious reasons, and the fact I rarely use it. Drives me nuts when I want to watch an HD-DVD and it takes forever to boot up and spit the tray out at me though. I've had my PS3 and 360 running 24/7 over a year and both still work. Well, I claimed my PRP on the 360 last week cause the controller broke and the PRP was almost expired. lol
Seems like an unnecessary waste of electricity to me, in addition to unneeded wear and tear on players.

If boot times really annoy you many of the latest generation of BD players are reported to be very quick booting. It is an issue that the player manufacturers have solved.