Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

UPDATE: Apocalypse Now 2-Disc & 3-Disc (w/ Hearts of Darkness) Announced 10/19/2010

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

UPDATE: Apocalypse Now 2-Disc & 3-Disc (w/ Hearts of Darkness) Announced 10/19/2010

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: UPDATE: Apocalypse Now 2-Disc & 3-Disc (w/ Hearts of Darkness) Announced 10/19/20

Just thinking about this gets me excited. October can't get here soon enough....
Old 08-01-10, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UPDATE: Apocalypse Now 2-Disc & 3-Disc (w/ Hearts of Darkness) Announced 10/19/20

The Digital Bits has updated with this...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwoc...3.html#072910a

Now then... IGN has confirmed our news from a few days ago, that Lionsgate's Apocalypse Now will be coming to Blu-ray Disc on 10/19. There will be two versions - a 3-disc Full Discolsure Edition (SRP $59.99) and a 2-disc Two Film Set (SRP $39.99). Both the 1979 Theatrical Cut and the Redux version will be included, and here's the great news: Both will presented at their original 2.35:1 aspect ratio, with DTS-HD 5.1 audio. (We've confirmed this - it's no joke. None of this reframed 2.1 "Univisium" crap of previous home video releases. You'll get the CORRECT original theatrical aspect ratio.) More than 9 hours of bonus material will be available. Both versions will include A Conversation with Martin Sheen (interview by Francis Ford Coppola), An Interview with John Milius (interview by Francis Ford Coppola), the Complete Francis Ford Coppola interview with Roger Ebert at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival, the Monkey Sampan "lost scene", additional scenes, the "Destruction of the Kurtz Compound" end credits with audio commentary by Francis Ford Coppola, The Hollow Men (video of Marlon Brando reading T.S. Eliot's poem), 8 featurettes (The Birth of 5.1 Sound, A Million Feet of Film: The Editing of Apocalypse Now, The Music of Apocalypse Now, Heard Any Good Movies Lately? The Sound Design of Apocalypse Now, The Final Mix, Apocalypse Then and Now, The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now and PBR Streetgang), the Ghost Helicopter Flyover sound effects demonstration and The Synthesizer Soundtrack article by music synthesizer inventor Bob Moog. To this, the 3-disc Full Discolsure Edition will add a 48-page collectible printed booklet (with special note from Francis Ford Coppola, never-before-seen archives from the set, behind the scenes photos and more), a John Milius script excerpt with Francis Ford Coppola notes, a Storyboard Gallery, a Photo Gallery (with images from photographer Mary Ellen Mark), a Marketing Archive (of trailers, TV spots and promotional artwork)... AND the acclaimed Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse documentary (including optional audio commentary with Eleanor and Francis Ford Coppola). And here's something that hasn't been revealed anywhere yet but we've officially confirmed it here at The Bits: Hearts of Darkness, which was originally filmed in 16mm, has been scanned in HD and will be presented in full 1080p on Blu-ray! (Look for it to appear in its original 1.33 aspect ratio.) The Full Disclosure Edition will also be packaged in a keepsake case featuring archival poster images designed by Japanese artist Eiko Ishioka.

I was wondering whether or not they would try to crop Hearts to fill the 1.78 widescreen tv ratio, in which case I would have got the 2-disc Two Film set, and then got the DVD of Hearts that came out a few years ago.

Anyway, now it looks like I'll be getting the 3-disc Full Disclosure Edition after all...
Old 08-06-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I feel like I read somewhere that this is missing a commentary from the DVD. Please tell me that it's not true.
Old 08-06-10, 10:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
I feel like I read somewhere that this is missing a commentary from the DVD. Please tell me that it's not true.
It seems like every BD release is missing at least something from one of the DVd releases.
Old 08-06-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
It seems like every BD release is missing at least something from one of the DVd releases.
The question is, is it something you will miss?
Old 08-06-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Trevor misses everything .

I don't mind stuff like cast bios being left off or even theatrical trailers being left off, but commentaries being left off truly bothers me.
Old 08-06-10, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah...I give a damn about a commentary being gone. Cast Bios and Trailers...leave them out. Just put in that Commentary
Old 08-06-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Let's wait and see. Given that they seem to have done everything else so right with this set, it seems odd they would leave out a commentary from just 4 years ago.
Old 08-07-10, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I'm gonna keep the Circuit City bonus disc and sell off the rest of the Dossier.
The Dossier with the bonus disc goes for $65 on Amazon's Marketplace. Without the disc it's $8.
Old 08-07-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
The Dossier with the bonus disc goes for $65 on Amazon's Marketplace. Without the disc it's $8.
Please tell me a bunch of extras are not worth $57.00. Even though I have no interest in extras I can understand students of film are interested in them. I just can't believe anyone would watch a documentary or listen to a commentary enough to bypass $57.00.
Old 08-07-10, 03:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Please tell me a bunch of extras are not worth $57.00. Even though I have no interest in extras I can understand students of film are interested in them. I just can't believe anyone would watch a documentary or listen to a commentary enough to bypass $57.00.
I'm the resident extras junkie, but even I wouldn't pay that much just for extras.

But, like it or not, people collect all kinds of things as collectibles. People pay dozens or even thousands of dollars for stamps they'll never mail, coins they'll never spend, or books they'll never read. Spending $57 for something you'll actually watch seems like a very sane thing in comparison.
Old 08-07-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw one of the Lionsgate Apocalypse Now DVDs in store. Confusingly, they used the old red painting image of Brando's face on the Redux, which is the image Paramount always used for the TC.
Old 08-07-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I want the 3-disc but I hates special packaging. I like the normal everyday blu-ray cases. i even dislike the Criterion cases because they don't mix well. I usually skip on any Digi-Book release because of my dislike for the cases. I want all my BR to have a nice uniform look to them
Old 08-07-10, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....I don't care what it comes in as long as it's a "normal" enough package. Love the CC BD cases. I like the regular BD ones too. Whatever case it comes in...I just give a damn about what's on the disc(s) and if the case itself is something that will actually keep it safe as well. This is why I never got the SE DVD for TWBB or the SE DVD Bloodpack for Ichi The Killer. Of course..I held out on TWBB till I went Blu too...

I just want the great poster for the film on the cover for the 3 Disc one but..whatever...I want HoD and everything else in that package more than I give a damn about that cover.
Old 08-07-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I want the 3-disc but I hates special packaging. I like the normal everyday blu-ray cases. i even dislike the Criterion cases because they don't mix well. I usually skip on any Digi-Book release because of my dislike for the cases. I want all my BR to have a nice uniform look to them
Digibooks and Criterions have a nice uniform look to them

Old 08-07-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Asking price, and selling price are two different things.

I just sold my Dossier with cc bonus disc on eBay for about $23. Another lucky soul got $30 for his.

It seems the only thing missing will be the Expanded Themes...Redux mini-doc which ran a whopping 7:50. I watched it again before I shipped it....no biggie.
Old 08-07-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
Digibooks and Criterions have a nice uniform look to them
I just did the same thing: segregated my Criterions and digibook Blu's from the rest of the heard. Looks nice.

P.S. - you don't seem to store your Criterions in spine # order...that is anathema around here!
Old 08-07-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i would store all my CC seperate but The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is in a regular BR case so that throws it off
Old 08-25-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
It seems the only thing missing will be the Expanded Themes...Redux mini-doc which ran a whopping 7:50. I watched it again before I shipped it....no biggie.
Do you think maybe the "The Added Scenes and Expanded Themes of Apocalypse Now Redux" may have been renamed thusly on this new release: '"Apocalypse Then and Now" featurette'? Anyone have a run time on this featurette? If it's 7:50, as you say, then that makes the CC bonus DVD superfluous.
Old 08-25-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, I was checking out my 'Hearts of Darkness' DVD. I have yet to watch it, but I noticed it has a bonus extra that is 62 min. long called 'Coda: 30 years later.' Would that be included in this release? Also, the 'Hearts' doc in the new edition won't be cut back form the original 96 min. runtime, right? I seem to recall that Coppola wanted some revision done to the doc. since it was first released. Thanks for your time and an knowledge you can share.
Old 08-25-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slowcloud
Also, I was checking out my 'Hearts of Darkness' DVD. I have yet to watch it, but I noticed it has a bonus extra that is 62 min. long called 'Coda: 30 years later.' Would that be included in this release? Also, the 'Hearts' doc in the new edition won't be cut back form the original 96 min. runtime, right? I seem to recall that Coppola wanted some revision done to the doc. since it was first released. Thanks for your time and an knowledge you can share.
That Coda thing is related to Youth Without Youth which was released around the time Hearts of Darkness hit DVD. Not Apocalypse Now related, I believe.
Old 08-25-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
That Coda thing is related to Youth Without Youth which was released around the time Hearts of Darkness hit DVD. Not Apocalypse Now related, I believe.
True. I should have seen that on the back of the box. Bah. Don't need that. But I'm still wondering about the other things.
Old 08-25-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slowcloud
True. I should have seen that on the back of the box. Bah. Don't need that. But I'm still wondering about the other things.
The only missing item seems to be the "Added Scenes and Expanded Themes..." featurette you mentioned earlier. If that's the only missing element, I'd say they upcoming set is fairly complete.
Old 08-25-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
The only missing item seems to be the "Added Scenes and Expanded Themes..." featurette you mentioned earlier. If that's the only missing element, I'd say they upcoming set is fairly complete.
Well, yeah, it seems to be, that's why I'm wondering if maybe it is indeed included, as the title of the '"Apocalypse Then and Now" featurette' seems to allude to a similar subject matter. And if it runs 7:50, then that thing is pretty much for sure it, and the CC bonus DVD will then indeed be obsolete.
Old 08-26-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the commentary hasn't been announced either. I'm hoping it wasn't included in the specs because Zoetrope discs tend to place the commentary in the audio options rather than in a special features section, at least their "Godfather" discs did.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.