Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rambo - Uncut - July 27

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Rambo - Uncut - July 27

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Rambo - Uncut - July 27

I'll try and address all the latest questions...

The Rambo Complete Collection Box Set- Truth is, I knew nothing about this until the announcement was made this week. I've been hard at work getting the production diary completed and shooting some other behind-the-scenes material for an upcoming action movie. As far as I know, the complete collection is just the 4 already available Blu-rays (the previous collection just contained 1-3) and Rambo is the 2008 theatrical disc. Don't know why they didn't decide to the include the Ext Cut in the collection, but my guess is they were trying to keep the MSRP down. Adding the extended cut probably would have raised the retail to $75. It's not ideal, but its not something I had anything to do with.

The opening news reel is the same as the theatrical, but then it goes directly into the title and reveal of Rambo gathering the snakes.

The Jump Frames - The jump frames were actually intentional, but I think they've been removed for the extended cut. The idea with the original missing frames was to create a jittery/jumpy feeling in certain shots. It was sort of an experiment and, I'll have to double check but, I think the shots now no longer have missing frames. But it was intentional and was like that even in the theatrical run of the film.

The exploding head is still there

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by CliffStephenson; 05-10-10 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-09-10, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to respond, CliffStephenson.
Old 05-10-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-10-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I just watched the scene where School Boy, Lewis, Diaz, Reese, and En-Joo are investigating the village. I don't see what frame skips you guys were talking about. I watched it all the way through until John showed up and killed all the soldiers with his arrows.

Given I believe I purchased my BD a few months after it had been released, is it possible there was an initial bad pressing and I just happened to get a corrected copy?

Just to be sure, any of you care to tell me the time code when this anomaly is supposed to occur? Maybe I just happened to miss it.
Old 05-10-10, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Okay, I just watched the scene where School Boy, Lewis, Diaz, Reese, and En-Joo are investigating the village. I don't see what frame skips you guys were talking about. I watched it all the way through until John showed up and killed all the soldiers with his arrows.

Given I believe I purchased my BD a few months after it had been released, is it possible there was an initial bad pressing and I just happened to get a corrected copy?

Just to be sure, any of you care to tell me the time code when this anomaly is supposed to occur? Maybe I just happened to miss it.
Yeah...I don't see what people are talking about. I just recently got Rambo on BD 3 weeks ago and I'm seeing it...I don't see what the issue is. Give us a time code cuz at the most I can that MAY be an issue but to me it's regular editing is at 45 mins as they're literally in the village.
Old 05-10-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yeah...I don't see what people are talking about. I just recently got Rambo on BD 3 weeks ago and I'm seeing it...I don't see what the issue is. Give us a time code cuz at the most I can that MAY be an issue but to me it's regular editing is at 45 mins as they're literally in the village.
I decided to watch the whole movie today (not that I needed much of an excuse) and I finally spotted the anomaly. It occurs in the shot immediately before they arrive in the village (when they're leaving the caves). Blink and you miss it.

And, sorry, I was so engrossed in the movie that I forgot to jot down the time code.
Old 05-10-10, 03:36 PM
Banned

ah...I see it now. VERY VERY minimal. BUT it is odd now that I see it. it's at the 44 min. mark. Hrm....

CliffStephenson: what is that about? It's like a skip or something.

FYI to exactly what we see now. It's when the Mercs pass some villagers in a cave. Very minimal...just pay attention when they're passing that small bit of smoke in front of the cave and you'll see it.
Old 05-10-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
ah...I see it now. VERY VERY minimal. BUT it is odd now that I see it. it's at the 44 min. mark. Hrm....

CliffStephenson: what is that about? It's like a skip or something.

FYI to exactly what we see now. It's when the Mercs pass some villagers in a cave. Very minimal...just pay attention when they're passing that small bit of smoke in front of the cave and you'll see it.
He already answered this somewhere else on the forum. He said it was just a stylistic touch.
Old 05-10-10, 04:23 PM
Banned

ah shit he did. I didn't read it clearly.
Old 05-11-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

So I need to sell my trilogy, and Rambo. Buy the 4 movie set, and the uncut, and frankenstein it all together. Ok!
Old 05-12-10, 01:13 PM
Cool New Member

The opening news reel is the same as the theatrical, but then it goes directly into the title and reveal of Rambo gathering the snakes
Does it mean that the scene with soldiers shooting villagers on some field is moved somewhere later in the movie? I wonder where is a better place for it (not saying that there's not)

The jump frames were actually intentional, but I think they've been removed for the extended cut.
Good to hear that.

Last edited by Gieferg; 05-12-10 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-14-10, 03:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

very glowing review up by the O.

production diary sounds very good, though one review says about an hour and this says 83 min. wonder why there is a difference...

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-14-10 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-14-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GLad to see the title was changed to JOHN RAMBO. Cant wait to pick this up.
Old 07-14-10, 04:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So the extras from the first release are mostly dropped, like the Stallone commentary?
Old 07-14-10, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
So the extras from the first release are mostly dropped, like the Stallone commentary?
looks to be everything was dropped and replaced by the one extra which seems like a big let down.
Old 07-14-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scott1598
looks to be everything was dropped and replaced by the one extra which seems like a big let down.
Yeah, an entire new cut of the film and a near hour-and-a-half documentary are a big let down.
Old 07-14-10, 04:58 PM

^ it is if you don't own the previous release and therefore miss out on the nice extras that were on it. considering this is only on Blu there is no doubt it would have all fit and then some for the reasonable price it can be had for.
Old 07-14-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How come the cover still says Rambo? If the movie has officially been renamed John Rambo why not put that title on the cover?
Old 07-14-10, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Yeah, go back a page and I explain why we did what we did.

But I will say, the audio commentary and expanded pip commentary were all created to go with the theatrical cut of the film. The extended cut has so many subtle changes that it wouldn't have been practical (at least not for the budget we had) to completely revamp these features to suddenly sync to the new cut.

Last edited by CliffStephenson; 07-14-10 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-14-10, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Yeah, an entire new cut of the film and a near hour-and-a-half documentary are a big let down.
Thanks Matthew,
I read another review of the disc where they rated the extras a 1 out of 5 and complained that there was just one extra this time around. I bet if I had simply cut it up into 4 20-minute "featurettes" I could have scored a 3 out of 5.
Old 07-14-10, 08:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffStephenson
Yeah, go back a page and I explain why we did what we did.

But I will say, the audio commentary and expanded pip commentary were all created to go with the theatrical cut of the film. The extended cut has so many subtle changes that it wouldn't have been practical (at least not for the budget we had) to completely revamp these features to suddenly sync to the new cut.
I think in this case, that's cool since as you stated, the first release and its extras were catered to the theatrical and it looks like the double dip in this case does not have overlapping extras. I held off getting the first release since it was announced soon after that this extended one was coming out. Guess I'll look for the first release now - I dig Stallone's commentaries, and if we're not having it on the extended one, the first one will suffice just fine for me.
Old 07-14-10, 08:51 PM

I bet if I had simply cut it up into 4 20-minute "featurettes" I could have scored a 3 out of 5.
Ya I prefer a feature length documentary over the "featurettes" anyways. I hate it when i see "featurette" and it turns out to be only 2-3 mins long.

I was a bit disappointed that the original Rambo disc lacked a "play all" feature where I could simply watch all the featurettes as one long feature. I wouldve loved that.
Old 07-14-10, 08:58 PM

Thanks Matthew,
I read another review of the disc where they rated the extras a 1 out of 5 and complained that there was just one extra this time around. I bet if I had simply cut it up into 4 20-minute "featurettes" I could have scored a 3 out of 5.
So true.
Old 07-14-10, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
very glowing review up by the O.

production diary sounds very good, though one review says about an hour and this says 83 min. wonder why there is a difference...
83 minutes is correct.
Old 07-14-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Bit of a mixed bag for me as I prefer to not own multiple releases, I suppose I'll probably pick this up. Hopefully a more complete collection (1-4) will be released a few yrs down the road.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.