Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Back To The Future" on Blu! (10-26-2010)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

"Back To The Future" on Blu! (10-26-2010)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
re: "Back To The Future" on Blu! (10-26-2010)

Originally Posted by Mike86
I always kinda took the actors playing their ancestors as sort of tongue-in-cheek to be honest.
I always found it odd Lea Thompson plays an ancestor she isn't related to at all
Old 05-04-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I always kinda took the actors playing their ancestors as sort of tongue-in-cheek to be honest.
I know it is, I just think it's kinda lame. Esp considering what JoeyOhhhh said.
Old 05-04-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I know it is, I just think it's kinda lame. Esp considering what JoeyOhhhh said.
Yeah true I suppose. Ah well I guess it just never bothered me all that much.
Old 05-04-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I just like westerns
Old 05-04-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 215 Posts

I thought the scene where Marty played almost every single character in his futuristic family (and act ridiculous while asking a robot for grapes) to be way worse (considering that Eddie Murphy was probably taking notes while watching) than the actors playing their own ancestors in the third. Though I'd still rank the third the lowest.
Old 05-05-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I thought the scene where Marty played almost every single character in his futuristic family (and act ridiculous while asking a robot for grapes) to be way worse (considering that Eddie Murphy was probably taking notes while watching) than the actors playing their own ancestors in the third. Though I'd still rank the third the lowest.
To be fair, in an alternate universe, at least one of those characters would've been played by Crispin Glover, I assume. And in that case, would they really have had Michael play his own daughter?
Old 05-05-10, 04:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

She must have just done those interviews because when asked this past February in Chicago, I think it was her that responded "aren't they already on Blu-Ray?" so I'm skeptical at best.
Old 05-05-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 351 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLutter
BTTFII is one of my favorite films... cmon, it's the dark side of Time Travel.
I agree...I couldn't believe all the critics who came out and said it was essentially just a long trailer for Part III. I mean, unless you were buried under a rock, you KNEW going in that another part was coming and this one would most likely end in a cliffhanger (ala EMPIRE STRIKES BACK).

Besides, how can you not love that ending:

"Kid, you all right? You need any help?"
"There's only one man who can help me now."

BTW, they should just wait and release these in 2015. When they can be packaged with a hoverboard.
Old 05-05-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I couldn't believe all the critics who came out and said it was essentially just a long trailer for Part III. I mean, unless you were buried under a rock, you KNEW going in that another part was coming and this one would most likely end in a cliffhanger (ala EMPIRE STRIKES BACK).
That is true. Especially when it was widely publicized that Michael J. Fox wanted to get finished with the back two so he could make other movies. So they essentially filmed 3 immediately after they finished shooting 2.

Personally, I missed 2 in the theaters (I was in college). When I got home for the summer, I was able to watch 2 on video and go see 3 in the theater that afternoon. Maybe that's why 2 doesn't bug me at all (in fact it is my favorite of the series).
Old 05-05-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I agree...I couldn't believe all the critics who came out and said it was essentially just a long trailer for Part III. I mean, unless you were buried under a rock, you KNEW going in that another part was coming and this one would most likely end in a cliffhanger (ala EMPIRE STRIKES BACK).
IIRC, both were greenlit at the same time and shot back-to-back. One thing I distinctly remember is the trailer for III being attached to II.

Oh, and III? It's just as fun as the other two.
Old 05-05-10, 12:42 PM

I remember when part 2 was out and for some reason I had the novel based on the movie. I wanted to read it before I saw the movie (knowing I would never read the book once I saw the movie). When I finished reading it, I was so excited about going to see it. But the theater just got rid of it! Doh! I was pretty sure, though, that they had part 3 already, but now I realize there were 6 months between movies. Though back then, movies seemed to stay in the theaters for months at a time, instead of weeks like they do now. So it's possible that they did have part 2 up until part 3 came out. I was pretty sure that Home Alone was in the theater for like 6 months.

Edit: According to boxofficemojo.com, Home Alone was released for, at least, 5 months (even staying in the top 10 for that long). Back to the Future II seemed to drop out after 3 months and no results after 4 months, so I guess I was wrong about that. I guess it's possible that it left the theater in March and they just posted "Back to the Future III Coming Soon" or something since it came out in May.

Last edited by obidawsn; 05-05-10 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-05-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheKobra
Am I the only one that liked 1 and 3, but hated 2?
I don't hate 2, but it's my least favorite of the series. 1 is one of my all time favorite movies.

BTTF is my favorite movie trilogy. Like it better than Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Lord of the Rings.
Old 05-05-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by obidawsn
I remember when part 2 was out and for some reason I had the novel based on the movie.
Lol, I read the book as well, did a book report on it actually...

Did they ever take out the part3 preview at the end of 2? Always thought that was pretty dumb being included in the film...
Old 05-06-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

While obsessively picking over one of my Twitter lists, I happened to glance at Mary Steenburgen's Twitter (@MSteenburgen), and I spied the following Tweet:
Originally Posted by MSteenburgen
Went to amblin to do interview for special blue Ray edition of Back to the Future series. Really. 20 years? Feels like time travel!
7:19 AM Apr 17th via Echofon
Sounds good to me. I wonder if Universal is making their own documentary, or adding to the full version of Looking Back at the Future, which they bought and chopped up (only the segments relevant to the first movie made it onto the 2-disc DVD, and I expect to see the rest on the BD versions).
Old 05-06-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
While obsessively picking over one of my Twitter lists, I happened to glance at Mary Steenburgen's Twitter (@MSteenburgen), and I spied the following Tweet:Sounds good to me. I wonder if Universal is making their own documentary, or adding to the full version of Looking Back at the Future, which they bought and chopped up (only the segments relevant to the first movie made it onto the 2-disc DVD, and I expect to see the rest on the BD versions).
Good thing she's not posting at DVDTalk, as she would have gotten hammered for writing blue ray.
Old 05-07-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I don't hate 2, but it's my least favorite of the series. 1 is one of my all time favorite movies.

BTTF is my favorite movie trilogy. Like it better than Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Lord of the Rings.
Same here. I've been a huge Back to the Future fan since I was just a little kid too, and my opinion has remained the same even with the amazing Lord of the Rings saga.
Old 05-07-10, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Gdrlv

I think Star Wars is probably at least as good in terms of quality, but I definitely grew up on Back to the Future. They're practically ingrained into my brain. I have a friend who likes them as much as I do, and I think we once wasted 30 minutes just quoting lines back and forth to each other.
Old 05-07-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts

I bet this will come out in conjunction with the theatrical release of BTTF4.....
Old 05-07-10, 10:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel like it's late 2001/all of 2002 all over again!
Old 05-09-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Did they ever take out the part3 preview at the end of 2? Always thought that was pretty dumb being included in the film...
Really? I always loved the preview. I remember when I saw it at midnight on opening night and that came at the end, I COULDN'T WAIT to see the third one. So seeing it now, I am reminded of how I felt in November 1989.

I know that when they show Part II on the HD channels, it is gone. I hope it is on the Blu-ray versions.

< Off Topic Alert > Part II doesn't always bring up good memories for me... I was working at a movie theater at the time and I was elected to change the marquees outside. I had to use was the stupid suction cup pole and because it was below freezing, the letters would not stick to the pole. I cracked about 4 or 5 letters trying to get them to suction. FINALLY after a few hours, the manager let me take a break and sent me and two girls to go get hot chocolate. Somehow, we ended up back at one of the girl's house and as we drank our hot chocolate, they both kept telling me how much they wanted to "take advantage of me" but couldn't because I was only 16 (they were 18). Being the stupid naive kid I was, I didn't press the issue or make a move on either of them. So Kris and Stacy... if you are reading this... sorry I was so stupid and didn't pick up on your hints. I'd be telling a MUCH BETTER story right now if I had.
Old 05-09-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Darth Maher

< Off Topic Alert > Part II doesn't always bring up good memories for me... I was working at a movie theater at the time and I was elected to change the marquees outside. I had to use was the stupid suction cup pole and because it was below freezing, the letters would not stick to the pole. I cracked about 4 or 5 letters trying to get them to suction. FINALLY after a few hours, the manager let me take a break and sent me and two girls to go get hot chocolate. Somehow, we ended up back at one of the girl's house and as we drank our hot chocolate, they both kept telling me how much they wanted to "take advantage of me" but couldn't because I was only 16 (they were 18). Being the stupid naive kid I was, I didn't press the issue or make a move on either of them. So Kris and Stacy... if you are reading this... sorry I was so stupid and didn't pick up on your hints. I'd be telling a MUCH BETTER story right now if I had.
This story should be on the Blu-Ray.
Old 05-09-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I really like the fact that they're doing new interviews. Looks like they are really putting effort into this release and not just releasing with the same old extras and subpar PQ *cough*LOTR*cough*.
Old 05-09-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 233 Posts

You better go BACK and fix this! Get the Flux Capacitor ready as Darth needs two rectify his past.
Old 05-09-10, 01:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Really? I always loved the preview. I remember when I saw it at midnight on opening night and that came at the end, I COULDN'T WAIT to see the third one. So seeing it now, I am reminded of how I felt in November 1989.

I know that when they show Part II on the HD channels, it is gone. I hope it is on the Blu-ray versions.

Well, good news I tracked down Kris and Stacy:

Consider it a bullet dodged my friend.
Old 05-09-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Well, good news I tracked down Kris and Stacy:

Consider it a bullet dodged my friend.
Nasty!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.