Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

Bitch, moan, groan, Lucas-raping-childhood.......................I'll still pick it up to watch with my supermodel wife after I've driven the Ferrari to the store 50 miles away that saves me $2.32 over all other stores within a mile radius of my super mansion. And then I'll tell the BD disc association, which I am a charter member of, what they should have done with the set. Signed, the average DVDtalker.
Old 04-18-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
You do realize that a business is about more than just the president of it making enough money for themselves personally right?
And even if it were, what's the problem with it...lol. I'm sure Lucasfilm is pretty self sufficient, it's not like profits are going into Lucas' bank account.

Speaking of extras, it's been so long since I've watched the bonus disc, were most of the deleted scenes from ANH included? I guess I'd like to see all of the extra footage, esp from the initial cut of the film and and extended versions of the Empire and prequel documentaries. It'd be a cool Easter Egg if they put "From Star Wars to Jedi" somewhere in there too, and Bill Murray's lounge singer.

As far as the films, I hope they've at least fixed the errors that came up for the DVD release.
Old 04-18-10, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
You do realize that a business is about more than just the president of it making enough money for themselves personally right?
Which is why our best hope is to outlive Mr. Lucas. When he dies, the original films will be released with enormous fanfare, and enormous profit. No corporation can say no to that much money.
Old 04-18-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Nocturnaloner
Which is why our best hope is to outlive Mr. Lucas. When he dies, the original films will be released with enormous fanfare, and enormous profit. No corporation can say no to that much money.
I would love to have the originals, but I'm not convinced they would generate any kind of big profit, especially if another version of the trilogy is already out on Blu-ray. Except for those of us who watched the originals, you have people whose first experience was the SE's or saw them after seeing the prequels. In their eyes the originals would likely be deficient due to "dated" looking effects.
Old 04-18-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nocturnaloner
Which is why our best hope is to outlive Mr. Lucas. When he dies, the original films will be released with enormous fanfare, and enormous profit.
Don't be so sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts some very specific language in his will as to the future handling and distribution of his masterwork.
Old 04-18-10, 01:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
As far as the films, I hope they've at least fixed the errors that came up for the DVD release.
You call them "errors," but unfortunately Lucas calls them "improvements."
Old 04-18-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Seems to me the best way to experience Star Wars on Blu Ray is rent it and wait for the better "we keep finding stuff" edition later on.
Weren't the DVD re-releases just new box art and the original trilogy added? I would wait for that release if they included both versions on Blu-ray.
Old 04-18-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't bought any of the dvd's yet, So I will be waiting for this release.
Old 04-18-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

A little late to the thread, but I definitely agree that Sansweet's remarks can be taken as concrete. If Lucasfilm has already been actively compiling new supplemental materials--and we've known for five years now that they've been tinkering with a digital Yoda for The Phantom Menace--then I think it's pretty clear this is happening. I won't get into the endless spiral of complaining about George Lucas; there's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, and I know better than to think I'm going to influence anyone into changing his or her opinion on the matter.

What I will say is that for the most part, I enjoyed these movies and I look forward to having them on Blu-ray. And I also look forward to reading the responses to the third generation fans, who grew up with the Prequel Trilogy, to the inevitable changes from the versions that were released theatrically and on DVD to what will be on Blu-ray. (One thing I suspect we'll see is one of the two death scenes of Shaak-Ti re-inserted into Revenge of the Sith and digitally reconstructed to depict the on-screen death of Ahsoka Tano.)

Someone mentioned From "Star Wars" to "Jedi" as a desired bonus feature/Easter egg, and while I agree that it would be great if it were included, there's just no way that's going to happen. All you have to do is watch that back-to-back with Empire of Dreams to see how much Lucas contradicts himself with his revisionist history of these movies. For instance, he says on camera in the earlier documentary that the relationship between Luke and Leia was plucked out of thin air to address the issue of what Darth Vader could possibly say to incite Luke into attacking him at the end of Return of the Jedi. In the more recent doc, however, Lucas tries very hard to sell the idea that these story elements were all in place back in the 1970s when he first began shopping the property around to studios. That's the most glaring example, but there are some other little things that don't align very well between what he said then and what he's been saying lately.
Old 04-18-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

God, we're going to get added scenes of Jar-Jar in 3D ...

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 04-18-10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

digitally reconstructed to depict the on-screen death of Ahsoka Tano.)
I really doubt that with the Clone Wars still going. That's too much of a spoiler.
Old 04-18-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Weren't the DVD re-releases just new box art and the original trilogy added? I would wait for that release if they included both versions on Blu-ray.
Unfortunately the original cut of the OT wasn't in anamorphic widescreen. I do hope he includes those cuts on the BD format. He can put whatever screwed up changed editions he wants on there as long as the original cuts are included in high def.

If he doesn't...if they only put some jacked up edited versions on there with a bunch of changes, there better be some REALLY good bonus features on there to pull me in. I am talking about original TV specials and other stuff that has sat in the vault for all these years and never made it to DVD
Old 04-18-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
I really doubt that with the Clone Wars still going. That's too much of a spoiler.
What would be awesome is if Ahsoka Tano is inserted at the end of Return of the Jedi in the ghost images that are looking at Luke.
Old 04-18-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I cannot imagine the Star Wars Holiday Special in Blu with 7.1 surround..
Old 04-18-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Bitch, moan, groan, Lucas-raping-childhood.......................I'll still pick it up to watch with my supermodel wife after I've driven the Ferrari to the store 50 miles away that saves me $2.32 over all other stores within a mile radius of my super mansion. And then I'll tell the BD disc association, which I am a charter member of, what they should have done with the set. Signed, the average DVDtalker.

But you forgot the part about tanning their ripped body.
Old 04-18-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
. (One thing I suspect we'll see is one of the two death scenes of Shaak-Ti re-inserted into Revenge of the Sith and digitally reconstructed to depict the on-screen death of Ahsoka Tano.)
I hope not. While that would be the kind of emotional trauma that would help turn Anakin to the dark side, there's nothing later in the film that would reference it (unless they alter the film a great deal more), and it would be seen as a cheap way of bringing her into the movies.
Old 04-18-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
and it would be seen as a cheap way of bringing her into the movies.
Any cheaper than the "hi, look at me here!" addition of Boba Fett to the special edition of "A New Hope", really?
Old 04-18-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This thread is exactly what I thought it would be when I clicked on it. A bunch of whiny bitches, whining and bitching about it. I love Star Wars, always have, always will, and it doesn't matter the release, it's all Star Wars. I can't wait to see what the Blu release holds for it, and I'll be picking it up, day one. I'm not some Lucas apologist, and a few things do piss me off (the dance number in Jedi...and the end song changing), but they are what they are at this point. There is no going back anymore...and repeating the same bitching on the same forum for the umpteenth time isn't going to change it. Give it a fucking rest.

If you're that die-hard for the Original Trilogy, you should own a laser-disc player, and the Definitive Collection box set, and be done with it. You're never going to get what you want from any release going forward. Or at the very least, get a DVD-Rip of the LD set. It includes From Star Wars to Jedi, and a whole ass-load of other features.

Back on Topic, I would hope that we get some new features on the Blu releases.
Old 04-18-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
I'm assuming this is very dry sarcasm and clever wit. Otherwise, I have no response.

Originally Posted by Jason
I hope not. While that would be the kind of emotional trauma that would help turn Anakin to the dark side, there's nothing later in the film that would reference it (unless they alter the film a great deal more), and it would be seen as a cheap way of bringing her into the movies.
So I guess the question becomes, if she exists exclusively in The Clone Wars, won't those fans feel cheated that she is never addressed on-screen in a canonical appearance? It means nothing to me personally, but I know there were message boards full of fans who lived and died by whether or not there would be a namedrop of Quinlan Vos in Revenge of the Sith. My reading of it is that Ahsoka greatly outranks Vos in popularity. But, hey, I'm not even rooting for this scene to appear--I'm just speculating that it's the kind of revision that awaits the Prequel Trilogy.
Old 04-18-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
This thread is exactly what I thought it would be when I clicked on it. A bunch of whiny bitches, whining and bitching about it. I love Star Wars, always have, always will, and it doesn't matter the release, it's all Star Wars.
I think I'd rather listen to a bunch of whiny bitches than a terminally-uncritical guy complaining about a bunch of whiny bitches.
Old 04-18-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I think I'd rather listen to a bunch of whiny bitches than a terminally-uncritical guy complaining about a bunch of whiny bitches.
Better than a whiny ***** complaining a whiny ***** complaining about a bunch of whiny *****es.
Old 04-18-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
But we've been hearing the same complaints over and over and over. This is a dead horse even the Death Star can't get rid of.
Old 04-18-10, 06:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm looking foward to this. I do hope that they fix the audio problems and lightsaber colors from A NEw Hope though.

I christened my LED tv with the dvd of Empire Strikes Back and it looked unbelievable. Better than it ever had before. With, Blu, it can only get better.
Old 04-18-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

2012 makes the most sense, since that will be the 35th anniversary of the original movie.

I dunno...the more tinkering George does with these films and the more re-releases they get, the less and less I care about the whole Star Wars universe. It used to be a good trilogy with two really great films. Now it's a series with two great films, two so-so films, and two awful films.
Old 04-18-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with the tinkering is the bad far outweighs the good. I love the changes to the Battle of Yavin and Cloud City, but then you get Han/Greedo, new Jabba's Palace song, etc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.