Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

Originally Posted by Groucho
All I care about is the original UN-EDITED trilogy on BD in OAR.
Unfortunately I doubt we will ever see that, I know I would pay full price for that and not worry about any coupons/deals. One can dream though.
Old 04-17-10, 06:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I would think that putting out an all-new box set of all 6 SW films on Blu-ray with BD-exclusive extras and such would entice more people to buy players.
Player sales are not really an issue anymore since they can be had for sub $100 (if not free with buying your first HDTV). It's software. Catalog titles, as a whole, are not doing very well. Anyone that tells you otherwise is likely going to cherry-pick some extreme examples. New Releases are doing just fine (thanks to included DVDs/Coupons or retailer incentives like stocking more copies, guaranteed buy-backs or a better price to stock BDs), but catalogs are not moving as fast as they did on DVD. It's why we are seeing silly bundles like BD+DVDs in the case, BD+DVDs 'rubber banded' together, "Flippers" from Universal and other cute marketing gimmicks. If priced low enough, they sell (Lionsgate). When they get prices a but too high (DigiBooks, The African Queen, Disney catalog titles) they seem to flounder. Again, I'm sure there are going to be exceptions to this rule, but in general catalog is just not moving as fast and studios are very hesitant to release anything. Just look at Universal with their lack of releases (especially HD DVD titles which have been Blu-ray ready for years like Adam Sandler flicks).

It may not be a catalog title, but look at Pandorum by Overture. It was sub $20 on release week and dropped to $10 a month later. It's been an Amazon top-seller since.

Warner is the only studio that found a way to move crap titles, and that way is Double-packs. I see Sony (atleast on he release schedule) and a few other studios are realizing this as well and will be doing a similar approach.
Old 04-17-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah so, instead of talking about stuff that's already been discussed in other threads, I'll talk about the thread itself.

I can't wait. I anticipate 'not too distant future' to mean a possible fall 2011 release. Fall is usually the sweet spot for Lucasfilm stuff. At least Star Wars items.
Old 04-17-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Schloob1
slop101, I love how you only pull the above qoute from the article you listed.
I took a look at it for reference and noticed the very 1st sentence before what you listed was this:

"There is not a single first-run wide release on this week's list. The biggest new release of the week is Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, which made less than $2 million in theaters."

WOW, it really had some tough competition to be the #1 release last week
It's still the #1 selling blu-ray up to a few days ago. Regardless of competitions, and considering it's a multi-disc set of previously available titles, being #1 means that it's sales are far from "pathetic". Basically, good sales or not, Gizmo's statement is pure internet-hyperbolic bullshit.
Old 04-17-10, 07:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
It's still the #1 selling blu-ray up to a few days ago. Regardless of competitions, and considering it's a multi-disc set of previously available titles, being #1 means that it's sales are far from "pathetic". Basically, good sales or not, Gizmo's statement is pure internet-hyperbolic bullshit.
When the #1 release of the week has a MSRP of $99, it's not hard to see why it would be #1 when it's 3x (since it was $60ish most places) the price of other releases. And the other titles released that week were laughable (some Nicholas Cage crapfest that made $2 mil at the box office and the animated LOTR). But hey...believe whatever you want to. Looking at the numbers and the hype surrounding LOTR, I call the sales to be poor in my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree, but it's the first week where Blu-ray did not match (or go higher) then the year before. I hope it doesn't sour Warner from bringing other big titles to Blu-ray like what happened with Paramount.
Old 04-17-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Again what exactly happened to the "original" trilogy? The one sans new stuff. I grew up w/ the new editions aka Han shoots first etc. And it just doesn't fit right w/ what's on the actual film. All the editions look odd w/ Lucas' add-ons. Though there are some neat things I don't mind but...I'd like to see the ORIGINAL non new edition of Star Wars in HD. I'd like to see what I have never seen.
Honestly, I don't care what versions we get. It's Star Wars, and I'm gonna buy it no matter what{plus I'm not a SE hater}.

I do wonder if the Blu-Ray version of Episode 1 will include the digital Yoda.
Old 04-17-10, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a hater per se but...I mean. Even with the Han shooting first thing it's sloppy work. I just want to see it in a "regular" version. Also...some of the stuff they did add in RoTJ looks horrid.
Old 04-17-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
And the other titles released that week were laughable (some Nicholas Cage crapfest that made $2 mil at the box office
Off topic, but I don't think a Werner Herzog movie (with an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes) is a "crapfest".

And I do think Sansweet's announcement is relevant. If more context helps, his previous statements were more like "Don't know. Not currently thinking about it. Want to see how the format does." and today's was "We're actively working on compiling special features specifically intended for a Blu-Ray set that will be released in the relatively immediate future."
Old 04-17-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Unfortunately, I think the crappy, non-anamorphic "bonus" release of the OOT's we got a few years back, (thrown in with a re-release of the SE's), is as close as we'll ever get to the Holy Trinity on official release.

It's clear Lucas & Co. have no respect for those versions, and could give f*ck all about what the fans want.

I'm certainly not shelling out any money for the SE's on Blu-ray, especially if I have to buy them as part of a complete set with the dumb "prequel" movies included.
Old 04-17-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
And I do think Sansweet's announcement is relevant. If more context helps, his previous statements were more like "Don't know. Not currently thinking about it. Want to see how the format does." and today's was "We're actively working on compiling special features specifically intended for a Blu-Ray set that will be released in the relatively immediate future."
But didn't he also say that they've been working on it for a couple of years now? So one way or another, he's full of it.
Old 04-17-10, 11:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Awesome. Lucas releases the "You Will Be Raped" edition. I'm betting there will be a separate 6 pack (or the 3 originals) as a 3D set. Fuck it all.
Old 04-17-10, 11:16 PM

Billy Hunt over at Digital Bits claims we should expect this puppy October 2011. I'll moan about it, but I'll still buy it. I'm sure at least the Pod Race will look purty.
Old 04-17-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

meh, lucas is a money whore. Expect to see at least 3 releases/re-releases on bluray before the next big media format hits.
Old 04-17-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Besides the obvious of wanting the OT the way I saw it in the theater, I would love it if the audio was perfect for Episode 3. If they could do that the opening battle scene would be truly incredible demo material for sure. Instead it soulds like I am wearing earmuffs and have to crank my system an extra 10 just to hear it at the same level I listen to the rest of my collection.
Old 04-17-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
meh, lucas is a money whore. Expect to see at least 3 releases/re-releases on bluray before the next big media format hits.
and your point? I get it your just saying it, but why would you not if you can make the money. I know I would.
Old 04-18-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

When the #1 release of the week has a MSRP of $99, it's not hard to see why it would be #1 when it's 3x (since it was $60ish most places) the price of other releases. And the other titles released that week were laughable (some Nicholas Cage crapfest that made $2 mil at the box office and the animated LOTR). But hey...believe whatever you want to. Looking at the numbers and the hype surrounding LOTR, I call the sales to be poor in my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree, but it's the first week where Blu-ray did not match (or go higher) then the year before. I hope it doesn't sour Warner from bringing other big titles to Blu-ray like what happened with Paramount.
All of that is irrelevant to my point and your initial hyperbole that I was criticizing.

You said: "pathetic sales"

While it's sales didn't blow doors down, it in fact met and slightly exceeded the studio's exceptions. So while not exceptional, it's hardly "pathetic" (though I do feel the release was pathetic). I just get irked when I see such ridiculous exaggerations around - it gives me cancer!
Old 04-18-10, 12:40 AM

I hope this comes out in 3 versions "Prequel Trilogy", "Original Trilogy", and "Complete Saga". Because with all this extra stuff, you should expect at least 2 discs per film, and the retail on the complete Saga will probably be around $120. These sets better be loaded with extras and multiple versions of each movie too or people won't buy, the video jump from DVD to Bluray isn't that noticable, and it often isn't worth the difference in price.
Old 04-18-10, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

So you want a bunch of raw footage and outtakes, including scene flubs and clapper intros?

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-18-10 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joseph B
The *only* reason I didn't purchase the LOTR set was due to the content. These aren't the LOTR films that I want.

This release *should* have included:
* The Theatrical Editions and the Extended Editions.
* All of the supplements which have already been released via the three previous DVD releases. In standard def, they would have easily fit on one BD-50.

I would have easily paid a street price of $99 for such a package.

Instead, we got only the Theatrical editions along with essentially the same DVD supplement discs which were included with the DVD Theatrical releases ... and for a "street price" of around $65.
Amen. That release you described is exactly what I'm waiting for, and precisely why I haven't picked up the TCs on Blu.

Originally Posted by JckRbbitSlim
Billy Hunt over at Digital Bits claims we should expect this puppy October 2011. I'll moan about it, but I'll still buy it. I'm sure at least the Pod Race will look purty.
I'm an admitted fan of the whole series, so I'll pick it up if it's true. I'd love the original theatrical cuts of the original trilogy to be included in HD, but I know not to expect it.

Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
These sets better be loaded with extras and multiple versions of each movie too or people won't buy, the video jump from DVD to Bluray isn't that noticable, and it often isn't worth the difference in price.
Speak for yourself. I find the difference in quality to be very noticeable.
Old 04-18-10, 03:24 AM

They're never going to release a set with everything. How else are they going to entice you to keep buying the same movies over and over again if they don't hold some special features back?
Old 04-18-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Never gonna happen, although I agree with you entirely.

It's sad that I have the feeling my Laserdiscs are still going to be the only way I'm watching Star Wars... in the year 2025.
Old 04-18-10, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Schloob1
and your point? I get it your just saying it, but why would you not if you can make the money. I know I would.
That's why you would be a sell-out and I wouldn't. Lucas has more money than he could ever spend in his life. I would either leave it alone or put out the RIGHT release, not keep re-releasing for more money I don't need.
Old 04-18-10, 10:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Imail724
Lucas has more money than he could ever spend in his life. I would either leave it alone or put out the RIGHT release, not keep re-releasing for more money I don't need.
This is one of the silliest arguments I've ever seen on DVDTalk, and it appears often.

You do realize that a business is about more than just the president of it making enough money for themselves personally right?
Old 04-18-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems to me the best way to experience Star Wars on Blu Ray is rent it and wait for the better "we keep finding stuff" edition later on.
Old 04-18-10, 11:14 AM

Wonder if he saw the pathetic sales figures for the LOTR set yet.

I just don't see Star Wars happening until at least 2012. There are not enough players in people homes, there are not enough HDTVs (or 3DTVs if he is still going to convert them) and physical media is way down. It just seems like a silly time to bring them to HD. But eh, I'll enjoy my HD rips which look pretty darn good.
That's because the LOTR trilogy is one of the worst sets of films ever made.

Yeah, I crapped there!

Last edited by packaok; 04-18-10 at 11:17 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.