Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Old 11-17-15, 04:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
(Personally I'm more interested in finally having a 16x9 version of The Abyss).
A million times this. The lack of a proper release of this film on DVD or Blu-ray is absurd at this point.
Old 11-17-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Especially since the cable channels have been showing a good HD transfer of it for a while now.
Old 11-17-15, 05:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Not up here, they haven't. I recorded it on AMC HD Canada, thinking that it'd be a sub-par HD transfer at worst. Nope... it was 4x3 P&S SD... on an HD channel.
Old 11-17-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, I guess I should have called out its been on the premium channels like Encore. Yeah, I saw it on AMC HD a while ago and it had that ugly washed out 4x3 transfer.
Old 11-17-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I believe I've recently seen both True Lies and The Abyss on Encore in HD. Didn't make note of which version of The Abyss it was, but it was most certainly in HD. Both movies looked great despite the dated effects.
Old 11-17-15, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its kind of weird that True Lies only got one bare bones Non anamoprhic dvd release. It feels like its been buried ever since. I dont even care if there is no extras, just give us the movie on bluray with awesome picture and audio and I will be happy.
Old 11-17-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems JC doesn't really care about either film anymore. Abyss hit the theaters over 25 years ago and True Lies over twenty years ago. Neither film was released on a anamorphic DVD in those years. What more blu-ray. Sadly, JC will probably give another version of Avatar and Titanic on blu-ray. I'm not holding my breath for either True Lies or Abyss on blu-ray. I'll only believe it when I see them on store shelves.
Old 11-18-15, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Me projecting True Lies on 35mm. I first saw The Abyss here too (yes, the screen cropped 2.35 to about 2:1, but the theater is gone now.)
Old 11-18-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, maybe after that we can get Gone in Sixty Seconds with be original soundtrack .

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
If, as has long been the rumor, James Cameron grew disenchanted with True Lies after the real terrorism events on 9/11, it seems highly unlikely that this right now would be the week he changes his mind about it.
Why does he get to dictate that? I know it was made through his production company, but does Cameron also get a say over the distribution as well? Wouldn't Fox have the final say?
Old 11-19-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Well, maybe after that we can get Gone in Sixty Seconds with be original soundtrack .

Why does he get to dictate that? I know it was made through his production company, but does Cameron also get a say over the distribution as well? Wouldn't Fox have the final say?
Hasn't the reason for the lack of 16x9 DVDs of True Lies and The Abyss been because JC hasn't approved transfers for them? If he has that kind of veto power, I wouldn't find it unusual for him to be able to stop the release of TL due to current events.
Old 11-19-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Hasn't the reason for the lack of 16x9 DVDs of True Lies and The Abyss been because JC hasn't approved transfers for them? If he has that kind of veto power, I wouldn't find it unusual for him to be able to stop the release of TL due to current events.
It may well be. I'd hate to blame Cameron since I already blame Lucas for so much . Both films were produced under Cameron's production company Lightstorm Entertainment with Hurd and himself as producers, so I'm assuming that they had control over the distribution proper. Exactly what level that would in turn give them over distribution rights, I don't know, I wasn't there when contracts were signed. Also, exactly why Vudu managed to get a 1080 version of True Lies but not The Abyss, I've never quite understood. There IS apparently a new remastered version of The Abyss running on movie channels of the theatrical cut (In the right aspect ratio!), so presumably there is SOME master for it. This doesn't do me much good since A) I only have basically cable, B) it's not the director's cut, and C) I still cannot find a goddamn cost-effective way of getting stuff of my DVR. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some intrepid fan editor may well have tried to Frankenstein together the 1080i video of the current TV version and stretched-to-anamorphic footage of the director's cut ala the Star Wars Trilogy: Despecialized Edition or the Waterworld: Ulysses Cut. It might help if originaltrilogy.com had a search function which was worth a fuck.

Both were shot on Super 35 back before Cameron joined the "film is dead" party to dance on celluloid's grave, as he preferred the way he could composite VFX into it as compared to anamorphic, and to have composition for both scope and the 1.33 format for when the films got released on VHS and shown on CRT TV, which was of course 4X3 at the time. Someone like Josh who actually knows what the hell he's talking about is probably more qualified than I am to talk about this, but wouldn't that meant that mastering would've been on on an interpositive as opposed to the original negative?

That's also presuming Cameron doesn't wash them in teal, which he's sure to do, and it doesn't factor in T2, from entirely different rights-holders which has long needed a remaster as well, and in any case, Cameron seems like he will be busy with Avatar sequels for the next decade or so.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-19-15 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As I understand it, Cameron has a clause in his contract that requires his approval for the home video masters of his movies. Fox struck HD masters for The Abyss and True Lies several years ago, but reportedly couldn't get Cameron to sign off on them. The story at the time was that Cameron was too busy with Avatar and its upcoming sequels to spend the time to do that. Nothing has changed since then, though he did approve new masters for Aliens, Titanic and the first Terminator in the meantime.

(While it might seem ridiculous that the guy couldn't find a couple hours to watch one of his movies, keep in mind that Cameron is a nit-picking perfectionist with a history of going through his movies frame-by-frame and adjusting them to his current preferences. He also very likely would insist that some of them be converted to 3D.)

There may be a loophole that allows the unapproved HD masters to be used for broadcast or streaming. I'm not a lawyer but that could explain why they've turned up in those venues but not on Blu-ray.
Old 11-19-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both were shot on Super 35 back before Cameron joined the "film is dead" party to dance on celluloid's grave, as he preferred the way he could composite VFX into it as compared to anamorphic, and to have composition for both scope and the 1.33 format for when the films got released on VHS and shown on CRT TV, which was of course 4X3 at the time. Someone like Josh who actually knows what the hell he's talking about is probably more qualified than I am to talk about this, but wouldn't that meant that mastering would've been on on an interpositive as opposed to the original negative?
Any remaster performed today would likely be scanned from the original negative at 4k. The entire film frame would get captured in a new Digital Intermediate, and Cameron (or whoever's doing the transfer) would adjust the aspect ratio and composition in the digital domain.
Old 11-19-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As I understand it, Cameron has a clause in his contract that requires his approval for the home video masters of his movies.
If it also covers digital transfers, then he was very forward-looking. Is it commonplace for directors to make such demands? I guess that riding high on big box office hits meant that Cameron could make demands like that.

Fox struck HD masters for The Abyss and True Lies several years ago, but reportedly couldn't get Cameron to sign off on them. The story at the time was that Cameron was too busy with Avatar and its upcoming sequels to spend the time to do that. Nothing has changed since then, though he did approve new masters for Aliens, Titanic and the first Terminator in the meantime. (While it might seem ridiculous that the guy couldn't find a couple hours to watch one of his movies, keep in mind that Cameron is a nit-picking perfectionist with a history of going through his movies frame-by-frame and adjusting them to his current preferences. He also very likely would insist that some of them be converted to 3D.)
Yes, and washing them in teal, and doubtlessly Lucasing some of the obvious stuntmen out for future releases too. It wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to make some adjustments like that, like his tweaking of Bishop for the finale of Aliens.

There may be a loophole that allows the unapproved HD masters to be used for broadcast or streaming. I'm not a lawyer but that could explain why they've turned up in those venues but not on Blu-ray.
Clearly, it hasn't spurred Cameron to move any faster, whatever the reason.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-20-15 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any remaster performed today would likely be scanned from the original negative at 4k. The entire film frame would get captured in a new Digital Intermediate, and Cameron (or whoever's doing the transfer) would adjust the aspect ratio and composition in the digital domain.
Interesting. I'd say 2K masters are more likely though. So even on Super 35, compositing of VFX and CG was done in negative (as opposed to IP) pre-DI?

Of course, that still doesn't explain the lack of the mono on T1...

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-19-15 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Interesting. I'd say 2K masters are more likely though.
A good number of 2K masters are still initially scanned at 4K to take advantage of that oversampling magic, even though the rest of the workflow is done at a lower resolution. I don't know how common that is, exactly, but I've definitely come across that in liner notes more than a few times.
Old 11-20-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So even on Super 35, compositing of VFX and CG was done in negative (as opposed to IP) pre-DI?
Digital effects have to be composited digitally. In the days before the full-blown Digital Intermediate process we have today (which started in 2000 with O Brother, Where Art Thou?), the specific shots that needed VFX would be scanned, composited, output back to 35mm, and then inserted into the movie during the negative-cut. The trims with the original footage prior to VFX would either be put into storage or discarded, depending on how much the studio valued them.

The cut negative as it exists today should include all the shots with composited VFX. The entire negative, VFX shots included, can be rescanned at 4k or higher resolutions. However, the quality of the VFX shots is inherently limited by the resolution they were rendered and composited at before they were output back to film.
Old 11-20-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it commonplace for directors to make such demands?
No, certainly not. Only the real powerhouse directors get that kind of control of their movies.
Old 11-23-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
A million times this. The lack of a proper release of this film on DVD or Blu-ray is absurd at this point.
Sadly, any future release of THE ABYSS will not be a proper release, because it will be slathered in teal, completely misrepresenting how it was seen in theatres. This, because it will cater to the whims of an egotistical director who thinks he owns his fans.

Once I greatly admired Cameron, I really did. Post- TITANIC, he's been getting crazier and crazier every year.
Old 12-20-18, 04:46 PM

I'm sure most have given up hope at this point....but if you haven't, Cameron mentions it might happen in 2019.

From an interview with Empire magazine.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...james-cameron/

Man, its on my to-do list, Cameron admitted. Its a question of time-management. True Lies and The Abyss both have Blu-ray transfers that are complete for my review. The problem is the next 14 hours when I have to go back and trim the color and get each one perfect. Thats 28 hours. I dont have 28 hours. He added that hes hoping to take a look at them before 2019 arrives: Ive put it on my list to try to get it done before the end of the year.
Old 12-20-18, 11:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ already mentioned in the other Abyss / True Lies thread here:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13453223-post88.html

It ain't happening. Cameron is full of shit.
Old 12-20-18, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
I'm sure most have given up hope at this point....but if you haven't, Cameron mentions it might happen in 2019.

From an interview with Empire magazine.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...james-cameron/
For Christ’s sake, James! Farm that job out to someone else and then sign off on the new transfer, you megalomaniacal Fuck!
Old 12-21-18, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Old 12-21-18, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cameron won’t trust anyone but himself to tint the movies teal and orange.
Old 12-28-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love True Lies, probably more than most, but good Lord, give it a watch and call it good. 14 hours on it? Why?

The Abyss I can understand a little more since it's so effects heavy, it might take some babying, but still.