Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

If you're recording the Starz showing, I turned it on and noticed it want letterboxed, nor did it look cleaned up in any way. Very weird since the last time I turned it on months ago, it was letterboxed and very clean looking.

And who said its never going to happen? I'm sure it will at one point. There's been chatter it's supposed to come out on 4K and whatnot. And it's been confirmed The Abyss will be coming out on blu/4K.
Old 09-04-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
2014 can't come soon enough!

Starz or Encore was playing The Abyss in HD a year or so ago as well. Don't remember if it was the director's cut or not but it looked wonderful!
I'm still waiting for the anamorphic 5-star collection version due in late 1999 or early 2000. Are they still working on that?

It's a good thing other consumer items don't depend on self-absorbed directors to oversee their release. We'd still be waiting on the latest version of the brick phone and the new 1999 Pontiacs should be hitting showroom floors any day now.
Old 09-04-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

If it only came out in 4K how many of you would convert to the new format? Serious question. Would you go 4K for True Lies & The Abyss?
Old 09-04-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
If it only came out in 4K how many of you would convert to the new format? Serious question. Would you go 4K for True Lies & The Abyss?
I didn't dislike The Abyss but I remember thinking it was good but didn't live up to the hype. So that leaves True Lies. When ever my system goes, 4K being the new standard of course I will but not before my TV craps the bed. That being said I got the Panasonic which I love back in 07 so it may go another 10 years, it may die in 10 minutes. The life expectancy claim is 100,000 hours which translates to 34 years. I don't see that happening.
Old 09-04-16, 02:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

The Abyss had been my second favorite movie, might have slipped a few notches, but still might be (have to check my list). Saw it in theater and was blown away. Really wish this would come out. I really enjoyed True Lies as well...
Old 09-04-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

ABYSS used to be one of my favorites, still is, but now is to a lesser degree due to the arrogance and egotism of its director. I didn't know it was possible for such things to affect one's liking of a film decades after the fact, but there it is...

If we would ever get a proper release of the damn movie, with original theatrical color-timing intact, my opinion of him and the movie might be properly restored!

This, along with 4k releases of BLADE RUNNER, TERMINATOR, ALIENS, T2 (all non-tealified, and intact with film grain and original theatrical color-timing, of course!) would put me over the edge, and I'd gladly upgrade to 4k then. Not a moment before.

All of this is, probably a pipe dream, so no 4k conversion for me!
Old 09-05-16, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe if it wasn't teal .
Old 09-06-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

For me, the answer is no. I enjoy The Abyss, but I didn't see it until I got the Special Edition DVD, so it doesn't hold any special memories from my childhood for me. I've watched it maybe twice since I got it, and don't really see a need to purpose another copy. On the other hand, True Lies I did see as a kid, and have fond memories of. That and Last Action Hero. I currently own both on dvd and have watched each probably about 10 times since I got the dvds. I probably should get the blue ray of Last Action Hero, and would buy a blue ray of True Lies, but neither would get me to buy a new TV, player or receiver, before my current ones shit the bed.
Old 09-16-16, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

HDNet just played the theatrical cut of the Abyss in it's original aspect ratio & Dolby 5.1 with the HDNet logo only appearing 2 or 3 times throughout the film for a few seconds. I Tivo'd it, transferred to my PC & re-encoded to mkv & slightly shrunk it.
I've had my Tivo set to record it whenever it's on for the last 4 or 5 years & it's either been cropped to 16x9, 2 channel audio, or the channel's logo was displayed the entire time. Never once have I seen the Director's Cut aired though.
Still can't decide which version I prefer.

As far as True Lies, there is an excellent D-Theater version available if you know where to look that I have had for years. Of course, I'd prefer Blu Rays but I'm happy with these.
Old 09-16-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

D-Theater

True Lies was available for purchase in HD via Ultraviolet Disc-to-Digital for a couple years.
Old 09-16-16, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang
D-Theater

True Lies was available for purchase in HD via Ultraviolet Disc-to-Digital for a couple years.
Since when? So if I have the DVD I can get the HDX version? Why can't that be purchased without disc?
Old 09-16-16, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Since when? So if I have the DVD I can get the HDX version? Why can't that be purchased without disc?
Note the past tense "was". It was available for D2D (yes, in HDX) from about 2013 to 2015. It was not available for purchase outside the D2D program, for unknown reasons. It was removed from D2D eligibility for unknown reasons sometime in 2015.
Old 09-16-16, 08:29 PM

Eh, I'm watching it now taped from Starz. Looks and sounds good.
Old 09-17-16, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
D-Theater

Why the 'LOL' for D-Theater? My D-Theater copy looks awesome. Quality is in between DVD & Blu. I'd post some screencaps but I'm not sure if that is allowed.
Old 09-19-16, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Why the 'LOL' for D-Theater?
Just the thought of anyone (besides Alan Smithee) seeking out an obsolete tape-based digital format.

I actually have a D-VHS deck, but no D-Theater titles.
Old 09-28-16, 11:36 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Abyss still tops my list. I have always been into underwater stuff whether it be regular scuba diving or wreck diving or research work, it all fascinates me. The movie blew me away.

I also went and saw Abyss in the theater opening night. They had a special viewing for it where they brought some navy divers, researchers and sub drivers to talk about the movie and the tech in it. It was all fascinating as hell.

One other thing that happened (surely coincidence of course) but the scene where Lindsey drown in the freezing water it got super cold in the theater I mean downright freezing. It was really bizarre but enhanced what we were seeing on screen.

Will gladly purchase this on whatever HD format I can get it.
Old 09-30-16, 01:33 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Abyss on Blu-ray ever?

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Ummmm...its been years since I watched "The Abyss" but the extended edition is so hackneyed that I find the theatrical cut far superior. I prefer the intellectual curiosity and pure benevolence of the sea dwellers in a happenstance encounter with human beings. In my opinion, that idea serves as a better allegorical lesson of how man should treat man. Otherwise the sea dwellers' actions are no better than that of mankind by threatening us with violent extinction. The extended version simply turns it into yet another film preaching similar themes as "The Day the Earth Stood Still." I prefer the gentle approach of "wonder and awe" in the original cut over the same shovel full of bullshit we've had to endure in countless films and television shows for decades.
Apart from not agreeing with you on how I feel about the NTIs' motivations, I also don't remember them being as much of a presence in the theatrical cut, either. With the exception of the ending, however, I can't quite come up with any concrete reason as to why. Admittedly, I haven't watched the theatrical cut since the extended version was first released on VHS, but I remember that they were inadvertently responsible for the sinking of the submarine in the prologue, the water tentacle still showed up, and Coffey specifically sent the nuke to destroy them. All that said, I still didn't get the weight of their presence in the theatrical cut, most likely because everything felt so relatively rushed compared to the extended edition, and their arrival at the end felt like more of a deus ex machina than it should have. (Mind you, I first saw it when I was ten years old, and I felt that way.)

Last edited by mrm1138; 10-06-16 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 02:08 PM
Banned

Re: The Abyss on Blu-ray ever?

Originally Posted by mrm1138
Apart from not agreeing with you on how I feel about the NTIs' motivations, I also remember them being as much of a presence in the theatrical cut, either. With the exception of the ending, however, I can't quite come up with any concrete reason as to why. Admittedly, I haven't watched the theatrical cut since the extended version was first released on VHS, but I remember that they were inadvertently responsible for the sinking of the submarine in the prologue, the water tentacle still showed up, and Coffey specifically sent the nuke to destroy them. All that said, I still didn't get the weight of their presence in the theatrical cut, most likely because everything felt so relatively rushed compared to the extended edition, and their arrival at the end felt like more of a deus ex machina than it should have. (Mind you, I first saw it when I was ten years old, and I felt that way.)
Yes, the key word here is "inadvertently." However, I actually prefer as you put it, "not feeling the weight of their presence" in reference to the "non-terrestrial intelligence", or "NTIs" in the theatrical cut. That's precisely why I believe it's the superior version. I prefer they be benevolent rather than malevolent. Otherwise, the film becomes far too preachy in the vein of "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

Steven Spielberg realized that "less was more" when he eventually excised the ridiculous scenes inside the mothership from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Special Edition" He realized it took away a sense of awe. I'm not someone who wants everything spelled out for me on screen. I prefer directors that are willing to leave something for the viewer's own imagination and allows them to draw their own conclusion.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-30-16 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 08:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Skip to 04:00.

Cameron says now that he's got 1000 Avatar sequels in motion, he has time to focus on True Lies and The Abyss.

I call bullshit.
Old 08-10-17, 08:37 PM
Banned by request

He's only been working on the Avatarded movies since 2007. And I thought there was another interview where he said he had already supervised some restoration work on those movies.
Old 08-11-17, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple years ago Eliza Dushku also said she did a new commentary for it. So some shit has been in motion for True Lies for awhile now.
Old 08-11-17, 11:06 AM
Banned by request

Then there's this. Dollars to donuts we see Aliens 3D see the light of day BEFORE we see True Lies and Abyss in 4K or even blu.

Cameron revealed that pending a good reception to Terminator 2’s 3D release that Aliens would next on the agenda!

“We haven’t proven the business case yet so ask me again in a couple of weeks if T2 Judgement Day in 3D does well. I think the next title on my list, in terms of fan enthusiasm would probably have to be Aliens before I got to the other titles that you mentioned."

Aliens seems to really hold up in people’s minds and that would probably be my next one. But we’ve got to prove the business case here so people have to show up. So show up!”

http://facebook.com/story.php?story_...aliens%2F&_rdr
Old 08-11-17, 11:26 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Fucking hell. Aliens in 3D? No. Stop it, James Cameron.
Old 08-11-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Ugh, screw 3D!
Old 08-14-17, 01:11 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by E Unit
Then there's this. Dollars to donuts we see Aliens 3D see the light of day BEFORE we see True Lies and Abyss in 4K or even blu.

Cameron revealed that pending a good reception to Terminator 2’s 3D release that Aliens would next on the agenda!

“We haven’t proven the business case yet so ask me again in a couple of weeks if T2 Judgement Day in 3D does well. I think the next title on my list, in terms of fan enthusiasm would probably have to be Aliens before I got to the other titles that you mentioned."

Aliens seems to really hold up in people’s minds and that would probably be my next one. But we’ve got to prove the business case here so people have to show up. So show up!”
I thought The Abyss was supposed to be out by now. There's a new(?) HD cable version out there of the short version, which looks good. Are they doing a new scan, or is something else holding it up?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.