Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Puppet Master and Puppet Master: Axis of Evil Coming to BLu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Puppet Master and Puppet Master: Axis of Evil Coming to BLu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Puppet Master and Puppet Master: Axis of Evil Coming to Blu-Ray

Last edited by LosingMyMind; 03-22-14 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-05-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Puppet Master and Puppet Master: Axis of Evil Coming to BLu-Ray

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-10, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

WTF? I'm so confused. There is a new Puppet Master movie? And they are releasing that and the first film on BD? And it will run $70?
Old 03-06-10, 11:07 AM
Suspended

http://www.fullmoondirect.com/LIMITE...E41_p_371.html

Old 03-06-10, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Cool looking, but $70 for 2 BDs? Probably pass.
Old 03-06-10, 11:30 AM
Suspended

I dont think it comes with the other movies on DVD. Just some trading cards.
Old 03-06-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Can these films look any better than they already do?

Also I LOL anytime Full Moon talks about limited quantities
Old 03-06-10, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Can these films look any better than they already do?

Also I LOL anytime Full Moon talks about limited quantities
"Whoops! We pressed 18,000 instead of 1,800!"
Old 03-06-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting, but I think I'm just fine with my gargantuan Puppet Master box set which has only had one film viewed from it one time.
Old 03-06-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't imagine paying $70 for any Charles Band production on any format no matter what kind of crap it came with.

Well, except maybe Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn.
Old 03-06-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

You guys, nobody buys Full Moon at list prices, they wait till the half off sales, making it $35 for 2 blu-rays. Still a bit pricey, at least for me.
Old 03-07-10, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

In a stateside hotel during the height of World War II, young DANNY COOGAN dreams of joining the war effort. Following the murder of hotel guest Mr. Toulon by Nazi assassins, Danny finds the old man's crate of mysterious PUPPETS and is suddenly thrust into a battle all his own. He discovers that Nazis MAX and KLAUS, along with beautiful Japanese sabateur OZU, plan to attack a secret American manufacturing plant. After his family is attacked and his girlfriend BETH is kidnapped, it is up to Danny and the living deadly Puppets to stop this Axis of Evil....
So the new movie takes place in the gap between the prologue and the film proper of the first movie?
Old 03-07-10, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Keep in mind, this $70 set includes the two blu-rays plus a bunch of 'collector's' crap. I would assume/hope they will be available to buy on there own for much less.
Old 03-07-10, 07:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that was certainly a painful post to read.

With the list of Full Moon offerings since Paramount dumped them nearly two decades ago, I wouldn't be surprised if this was written by someone who actually worked for the studio. The movies are terrible!

The first Paramount Puppet Master film is marginal (maybe even the 2nd), but Puppetmaster: Axis of Evil is probably shaping up to be one of the very worst movies of 2010 -- much like nearly every other film in Full Moon production.

$70? Pass for me.
Old 03-07-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly doubt the original will look any better on blu. I doubt Band has any of the original materials. Probably a LD transfer, lol. Neat package though, don't care for the gimmicky stuff like stickers and cards. Probably get the SD as all my other FM stuff is SD.
Old 03-07-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
"Whoops! We pressed 18,000 instead of 1,800!"
"We found the last batch in a warehouse"

As KillerCannibal mentioned, I'm also happy with my SD set of the Puppet Master films. Probably won't upgrade
Old 03-07-10, 11:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cocacoladude78
Well, that was certainly a painful post to read.

With the list of Full Moon offerings since Paramount dumped them nearly two decades ago, I wouldn't be surprised if this was written by someone who actually worked for the studio. The movies are terrible!

The first Paramount Puppet Master film is marginal (maybe even the 2nd), but Puppetmaster: Axis of Evil is probably shaping up to be one of the very worst movies of 2010 -- much like nearly every other film in Full Moon production.

$70? Pass for me.
I didn't even know they were working on another Puppet Master film. The last one was some random clips from the films with Corey Feldman.
Old 03-07-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think the Puppet Master mythos has been fully explored yet, there's still a lot of good material left to work with.
Old 03-07-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If a franchise ever needed a reboot it's this one. Or at the least a sequel that retcons every movie released after the second.

Although I enjoy the third movie (Toulon's Revenge) the best, the heroic portrayal of Toulon and his puppets in 3, 4, 5, and Retro Puppet Master go against the villainous portrayal of these in the first two movies. Puppet Master Legacy pretended to address this inconsistency when Toulon's motives were put into question only to then half-ass a twist where it's revealed the puppets want to die and hate anyone who is the Puppet Master.
Old 03-08-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Keep in mind, this $70 set includes the two blu-rays plus a bunch of 'collector's' crap. I would assume/hope they will be available to buy on there own for much less.
Don't knock 'collector's' crap. Tons of people here cream their pants over a steelbook or go crazy if they can't find a slipcover or a few years ago when DVDs started to not have inserts anymore.

Originally Posted by xfilekr
I highly doubt the original will look any better on blu. I doubt Band has any of the original materials. Probably a LD transfer, lol. Neat package though, don't care for the gimmicky stuff like stickers and cards. Probably get the SD as all my other FM stuff is SD.
They were showing the first one in HD on one of the movie channels. Just need to track down someone that's seen it.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
If a franchise ever needed a reboot it's this one. Or at the least a sequel that retcons every movie released after the second.

Although I enjoy the third movie (Toulon's Revenge) the best, the heroic portrayal of Toulon and his puppets in 3, 4, 5, and Retro Puppet Master go against the villainous portrayal of these in the first two movies. Puppet Master Legacy pretended to address this inconsistency when Toulon's motives were put into question only to then half-ass a twist where it's revealed the puppets want to die and hate anyone who is the Puppet Master.
I saw the third one first and really liked it. First two were ok and any after the third kept going downhill. Not as downhill as Nightmare on Elm Street went but they both did the same thing of changing(ruining) the character(s) after they got popular.

The idea that the puppets don't want to live and hate their creator isn't a bad one. I mean they've been alive for a long time and forced to work as slaves, though I'm sure the execution of it didn't go off as well.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 03-08-10 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-08-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Don't knock 'collector's' crap. Tons of people here cream their pants over a steelbook or go crazy if they can't find a slipcover or a few years ago when DVDs started to not have inserts anymore.
I didn't mean that in terms of anything for collector's, I have no problem with decent things like steelbooks, I specifically was referring to what comes in here. I mean, trading cards and stickers, really?
Old 03-08-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joltman
I didn't mean that in terms of anything for collector's, I have no problem with decent things like steelbooks, I specifically was referring to what comes in here. I mean, trading cards and stickers, really?
I never got why they call them trading cards when everyone gets the same thing.

As for me, I'm sure I'm in the minority thinking steelbooks are overpriced and don't really care about them. They're not bad but for me they aren't worth it unless I have no choice but to get it. I just have too many movies for something as simple as a case that can get dented easily and at some point start rusting, for me to appreciate.
Old 03-08-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The idea that the puppets don't want to live and hate their creator isn't a bad one. I mean they've been alive for a long time and forced to work as slaves, though I'm sure the execution of it didn't go off as well.
That idea only works if we stick to Toulon's portrayal as an evil man cheating death at any cost, as seen in Puppet Master II. However, you also have to ignore the revelation in that same movie that the puppets were dying and needed Toulon to create more formula so that they'd live again.

Yes, the idea wasn't bad but only works if Toulon is evil and if the puppets hadn't gone out of their way to revive him.

This is like the Highlander franchise where you have to ignore major details in the previous films to make the sequels possible.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-08-10 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That idea only works if we stick to Toulon's portrayal as an evil man cheating death at any cost, as seen in Puppet Master II. However, you also have to ignore the revelation in that same movie that the puppets were dying and needed Toulon to create more formula so that they'd live again.

Yes, the idea wasn't bad but only works if Toulon is evil and if the puppets hadn't gone out of their way to revive him.

This is like the Highlander franchise where you have to ignore major details in the previous films to make the sequels possible.
Plots for the most of them are just a blur to me. Except the third, which was the best. One of the things that bothered me about Retro was they had a blade one but it wasn't really created until WW2 and only because of that one guy.
Old 03-08-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, part 3 is the absolute best. Especially how Blade is introduced at the end. Very iconic moment.

Apparently the Retro versions of Blade, Six Shooter, and Pinhead were meant to be different characters altogether. Very lazy as it was a missed opportunity to present new puppets that would predate the ones we already knew rather than essentially recycling the same designs we've already seen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.