Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which aspect ratio for Avatar Blu-ray do you reckon?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Which aspect ratio for Avatar Blu-ray do you reckon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: Which aspect ratio for Avatar Blu-ray do you reckon?

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Your argument doesn't hold water. Why did Cameron choose 2.35:1 for non-3D and even some non-IMAX 3D presentations? It would seem he likes the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. He could have chosen to present "Avatar" at 1.85:1 across the board, in all theaters, but he didn't. And every commercial and clip I've seen on TV has been in 2.35:1. I'm willing to bet we'll get 2.35:1 for home, at least until 3D becomes available.
The reason your argument doesn't hold water is because you're talking about theatrical and I'm talking about home.

Ideally, and most typically, the 2:35 canvas in a given theater is bigger/wider than the 1:85 canvas. But on a 16:9 TV, 2:35 is the same width as the 1:85 and always smaller. The picture I posted is the difference for home and Imax screens - in a normal theater the 2:35 image would be wider.
Old 12-28-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
The reason your argument doesn't hold water is because you're talking about theatrical and I'm talking about home.

Ideally, and most typically, the 2:35 canvas in a given theater is bigger/wider than the 1:85 canvas. But on a 16:9 TV, 2:35 is the same width as the 1:85 and always smaller. The picture I posted is the difference for home and Imax screens - in a normal theater the 2:35 image would be wider.
I can speak only for the theater I frequent, but every screen in that place seems to have a 16:9 aspect ratio. For scope films, a "matting bar" slides down from the top to create a 2.35:1 frame. So every feature presentation has the same width.

--THX
Old 12-28-09, 09:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Movie screens come in either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 ratios. If they're the former, then the masking will come down from the top and the bottom to create a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. If it's the latter, the masking comes out from the sides to make 1.85:1.
Old 12-29-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I said, ideally - the whole point of the 2.35 ratio is to be wider than 1.85, not more squat.
Old 12-29-09, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dak
Wasn't it said that PS3-s and some players just get a firmware update for 3D playback? The question is when are we going to see 3D TVs (that don't cost a million hehe).
Well some are already out there. Some people say you just need 120hz. Others say it's more than that. Mitsubishi DLP's say 3D ready, but who's to say if they are RealD 3D ready? We just won't know for sure until the first wave of RealD players and BDs are about to come out.

One thing I'm pretty sure about, no 60hz tv will beable to work with RealD. And maybe alot of 120hz tvs too. They probably won't cost that much depending if there are TVs out now that are actually ready. You could just buy an older floor model or something. My problem is bigger is better for 3D and movies for me and it would cost me an arm and a leg to replace my 67" DLP if I wanted to atleast have the same size or larger.
Old 12-31-09, 11:19 PM

I saw it in a real Imax theater and the image was cropped on the sides. Unlike the non-Imax camera Dark Knight scenes, they did not letterbox the top and bottom for any of this film.

Real Imax's aspect ratio is 1.44:1 not 1.78:1 (or 16:9). So the screen is MUCH squarer than seeing it at any normal theater. They need to mask off the top and bottom for a 1.78:1 or a 2.35:1 projection. In my King of Prussia, PA Imax theater they didn't do that. Instead they blew up the image to fill the whole screen and cropped off the sides. That means a 19% loss of image on the left/right. The Thanator chase inparticular was impossible to follow with the cropping, as compared to the online clip or the Avatar Day preview, which I saw in a fake Imax theater, which are all sized as standard movie screens, not in the squarer original Imax 1.44:1.
Old 12-31-09, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well at a L.A. Times envelope series screening of the film which was hosted in Hollywood prior to the films release James Cameron stated his perferd directors Version of Avatar was the 16x9 Flat apsect ratio version. (which is the version that was screened at that event even though the theatre hosting it was not an imax theatre)
there was a Q&A with James Cameron,Sam Worthington,Sigorney Weaver,Zoe Saldona,and Michelle Rodriguez that followed the screening.

he also said the first dvd/bluray released would be 2D with a latter release being 3D.
He also mentioned his preference of Real-D over Dolby Digital 3D in 3D equiped theatres
and that there is a real good possiblity that he is going to work on a 3D rerelease of Titantic.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 12-31-09 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-01-10, 01:01 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't see much point in buying this movie in 2D at all, and being as I don't have the proper equipment to watch it in 3D I won't be purchasing it in any format.
Old 01-01-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know why this was released in two different aspect ratios? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which AR is used where.
Old 01-01-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
So, in your experience, by "most" you mean 50 percent.
The first showing I went to screen has a native ratio of 1.78:1, the second has a ratio of 2.35:1. Cameron has stated that he used the 1.78:1 aspect ratio because "most" theaters screens are naturally 1.78:1, and then matted to 2.35:1. But the theater were I saw AVATAR in 2.35:1 has a 2.35:1 screen, not 1.78:1. I'm assumeing this is because the image would actually be smaller at the second theater in 1.78:1, not larger.
Old 01-01-10, 04:03 PM

In the much-quoted statement from Cameron, he acknowledges that while they wanted as many Real3D screens as possible to be 1.85, it wasn't always possible and so there would be 2.35 3D prints made as well.

I saw the Real3D version in such a theater. The 2.35 screen was matted at the sides to 1.78 for all the pre-show material that was on video, and then the traveling mattes opened up to 2.35 for the film (and trailers).

It was wonderful. However, I will welcome a 2D version (for the sake of maximum clarity) on BD, and would wish for whatever aspect ratio crops out the least of what was shot.
Old 01-01-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Does anyone know why this was released in two different aspect ratios? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which AR is used where.
Cameron prefers 2.35:1 for 2-D, but he feels that 3-D works better at 1.85:1.
Old 01-01-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the first 3D DVD/Blu-Ray editions going to come with:

In other words, is AVATAR going to be released primarily as an old school 3D DVD/Blu-ray?
Old 01-02-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cameron has stated that Avatar will not be in anaglyphic 3-D.

When I saw the film in Cinemark's Extreme Digital theater, the presentation was 1.78:1.

It's also interesting for Cameron to state that he prefers Real-D over Dolby Digital 3D (only because Dolby Digital 3D is shit and it's surprising someone coming out and stating that publicly).
Old 01-03-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
1.85:1 3D prints have been made, so those digital files are already there. I have a feeling it will be 1.78:1 on BD, because Cameron's intent was to immerse you as fully as possible, and it's more immersive if it fills the entire screen.
Originally Posted by Dak
I get it, but like another poster said, if we're talking about immersiveness then 1:78:1 would be ideal for home entertainment.
I would like to understand this definition of immersive. Does it have anything to do with movies? Or just the amount of plastic you've purchased in your LCD?

I'm sure the plastic does indeed feel more immersed when all of it is used.
Old 01-03-10, 10:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Cameron prefers 2.35:1 for 2-D, but he feels that 3-D works better at 1.85:1.
and it works better on IMAX screens too - less annoying than having those goddamn black borders above and below the image - "thanks Cameron!"
Old 01-06-10, 10:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
No, most 3D theaters, not just IMAX kept the original 1.78:1 aspect ratio. A scope image was extracted for 2D theaters. Like I said before, I've seen it twice at different theaters, both RealD. One was 1.78:.1, the other 2.35:1.
IMAX-Digital screens are 1.78:1
standard IMAX screens are 1.43:1

as I understand it the IMAX framing is 1.85, why Cameron didn't use the original shot composition of 1.78 for the IMAX even more of the screen would have been utlized.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Cameron has stated that Avatar will not be in anaglyphic 3-D.

When I saw the film in Cinemark's Extreme Digital theater, the presentation was 1.78:1.

It's also interesting for Cameron to state that he prefers Real-D over Dolby Digital 3D (only because Dolby Digital 3D is shit and it's surprising someone coming out and stating that publicly).
really? I might have to trek over to the Egyptian where they are presenting this in 'Extreme Digital' - is 'Extreme' 2K or 4K digital projection?

Last edited by Giles; 01-06-10 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
really? I might have to trek over to the Egyptian where they are presenting this in 'Extreme Digital' - is 'Extreme' 2K or 4K digital projection?
Well the "Extreme Digital" doesn't really matter. It all depends on whether the theaters screen is native 2.35:1 or 1.78:1.
Old 02-07-10, 04:34 AM

Someone on IMDB reported the Academy screener DVD is in 1.78:1 ratio.
Old 02-07-10, 07:41 AM

I saw this on a true Imax screen and was wowed. I'll be buying a 3D capable set (probably the 72" Visio LCD) later this year as well as a 3D capable BD player. I'll wait for the Avatar 3D release; it's the only one I want, and I hope it's the 1:78.

Last edited by pmreed; 02-07-10 at 02:48 PM.