Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Heads up on the Ong-Bak (1) blu-ray (it sucks)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I only have the region 2 dvd to compare it to, but the DVD has a superior transfer to the blu-ray.

The blu-ray is a soft, almost out-of-focus, mess. The movie doesn't have the strongest color palette, but the blu-ray is practically black&white compared to the DVD. Just embarrassing all around - and that's not even mentioning the incorrect subtitles.
Old 02-02-10, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Heads up on the Ong-Bak (1) blu-ray (it sucks)

well to add on to that. The film is really a weak film. See it once and you're good. God, I hate Jaa. Respect his physical talent but...that man is as single note as he can be. Also...no more elephants. Yes, I know you like them, Jaa. Yeah, it's kinda cool and exotic to us the 1st time I guess but after that...stop.
Old 02-02-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
well to add on to that. The film is really a weak film. See it once and you're good. God, I hate Jaa. Respect his physical talent but...that man is as single note as he can be. Also...no more elephants. Yes, I know you like them, Jaa. Yeah, it's kinda cool and exotic to us the 1st time I guess but after that...stop.
What are you talking about? The first Ong-Bak (which is the blu-ray I'm talking about - read the title) is awesome, and infinitely rewatchable. It's the new Ong-Bak 2 movie that's weak and totally lost the sense of fun and excitement that the first one had.

Also, according to dvdbeaver, the sequel looks great on blu-ray. Unfortunately, they didn't review the first one.
Old 02-02-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love Ong Bak, I could watch it over and over.
Old 02-02-10, 11:49 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

The DVD reviewer gave it a recommended so it can't be all bad. Either way they're both $12.99 if you pick them up @ Best Buy so I figured what the hell.
Old 02-03-10, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sort of had a feeling this would happen.

They "announced" it on Jan. 21st and released it Feb. 2nd. Seemed like a last-minute idea to release it alongside the sequal (brought by another company).

I wasn't expecting a big improvement, but was definitely expecting some type.

I do hear that it's better than the R1 (better color accuracy, sharper, no video troubles (artifacting/EE)), but I haven't put mine in yet.

I figured if I'm spending $18 for OB2, it would only be $8 more for OB1. I'm really hoping the improvements are noticeable, but have some serious doubts.
Old 02-03-10, 12:11 PM

After checking it out - the quality is VERY BAD by Blu-Ray standards. Heavy grain throughout, very soft/not sharp or detailed, crushed black levels.

..But then after popping the R1 DVD in, it's a huge improvement. The R1 DVD was apparently REALLY bad, and the only thing the BD has going for it is that it isnt as bad.
Old 02-03-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really enjoyed Ong-Bak on a DVD I had ordered from a less-than-respectable Malaysian site. When I picked up the Fox DVD later, I was distressed to find the movie was slightly unwatchable for me, because they had replaced all the music. It's not that I hated the music that the RZA had created, it's just that I was so used to the original Thai tracks that I found it completely distracting. I sold that DVD but ended up with it again as a double feature with Kiss of the Dragon, and it's been years since I watched it. I wonder if I could make it through, now.

I'm disappointed that they messed this up, because Blu-Ray seems like a good chance I'd get the original music back, since they can include more audio options. This is actually a US BD?
Old 02-03-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's a domestic blu-ray release from Fox.

I would love a blu-ray that just replicated the 2-disc R2 dvd, which had all the different audio options (I don't like the RZA soundtrack either - it's pretty annoying and inappropriate), along with a bunch of extras.

One of the really lame things about the dvd is that when you fast forward or skip chapters, the counter along with the chapter marker overlay is right in the middle of the freaking screen instead of at the bottom like it is on every other blu-ray.
Old 02-03-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
The DVD reviewer gave it a recommended so it can't be all bad. Either way they're both $12.99 if you pick them up @ Best Buy so I figured what the hell.
I believe the OP is talking about Ong Bak 1.
Old 02-03-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, but to clear things up:

Ong-Bak ONE: great MOVIE, shitty BLU-RAY
Ong-Bak TWO: "meh" MOVIE, good BLU-RAY
Old 02-03-10, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I believe the OP is talking about Ong Bak 1.
Yes I know, and if you keep reading the following posts go on to slam 2, which I point out was given a "recommended" by the DVDTalk reviewer.
Old 02-03-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

That's a bummer to hear.

Oh well, I'll hold onto the R4 DVD I have and pass on the BD Upgrade.
Old 02-03-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
Yes I know, and if you keep reading the following posts go on to slam 2, which I point out was given a "recommended" by the DVDTalk reviewer.
That's just on lone reviewer though.

If you look at a consensus, compare the the 85% O-B 1 got on RT to the abysmal 48% O-B 2 got, you'll get an idea of why it's considered a disappointment.
Old 02-05-10, 01:26 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the warning. I was considering it. I think I'll rent.
Old 02-05-10, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wow, i have the region 4 austrailian dvd version, its as good as it gets. correct subtitles, both versions of the movie (the original thai version which is 3 min longer, and the regular theatrical version) as well as a 2nd disc with lengthy extras on the making of the movie.
Old 02-06-10, 12:34 PM

How's the A/V presentation on that? I've read compression artifacting run amuck on that disc.
Old 02-06-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is the UK dvd I have:

It's a 2-disc set that has all the content Rypro detailed for the Aussie disc and more. It has a pretty damn solid (pal) transfer. It's out of print, but still available for a good price. It beats the pants off the new blu-ray, in A/V and especially in the extras.
Old 02-06-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dragon Lee
How's the A/V presentation on that? I've read compression artifacting run amuck on that disc.
if there is compression, i didn't notice any, or at least it wasn't too bad.
Old 02-07-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
This is the UK dvd I have:

It's a 2-disc set that has all the content Rypro detailed for the Aussie disc and more. It has a pretty damn solid (pal) transfer. It's out of print, but still available for a good price. It beats the pants off the new blu-ray, in A/V and especially in the extras.
It doesn't have the original score and Bey Logan saying the UK track that was added was better on his commentary track on the DVD. I thought his comment was BS because he's always talking about how people should watch movies in their original form. The Aussie disc is the best original version available.
Old 02-07-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It should be renamed to "The Jungle Book"