Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner to make ALL Theatrical releases in 2010 "Combo Packs"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Warner to make ALL Theatrical releases in 2010 "Combo Packs"

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Warner to make ALL Theatrical releases in 2010 "Combo Packs"

Originally Posted by Eddie W
If this works, I'd expect we could see the end of standalone DVD releases within a year.
Let's not get too carried away...
Old 12-17-09, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W

If this works, I'd expect we could see the end of standalone DVD releases within a year.
Old 12-17-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
A DC is 3 gigs? I have 3 DCs in iTunes
Twilight (121 mins; 1.6GB)
Fired Up (90 Mins; 1.3GB)
Forgetting Sarah Marshall (110 mins; 1.2GB)
Unless there is a bunch of extra 'fluff' on the Digital Copy disc?
You know, something I don't understand is why the disc is even needed for the digital copy. The few I've done always just open up iTunes, I enter the code, and it downloads to my computer from the disc (I assume). Since it's going through iTunes, why not just include the code and let me download it from the regular iTunes server?
Old 12-17-09, 10:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by milo bloom
You know, something I don't understand is why the disc is even needed for the digital copy. The few I've done always just open up iTunes, I enter the code, and it downloads to my computer from the disc (I assume). Since it's going through iTunes, why not just include the code and let me download it from the regular iTunes server?
IIRC, it's because it's cheaper for the studios to include the DC on the disc rather then paying whomever to store to file digitally. The only thing the code does is 'unlocks' the file and it allows it be transferred. Plus, it would likely take 5x-10x longer to 'download' if through iTunes.

Some studios have done it that way though (Warner with Supernatural S4/One Tree Hill S6).
Old 12-17-09, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the original quote in the first post, it doesn't look like the dvd will get any additional content. I could see dvd buyers who mostly only care about the movie ok with this, but I wonder how many who like "special editions" with all the goodies are going to buy this if they can't watch the extras right now. You know some of these "theatrical" releases will warrant a 2 blu disc special edition. I can't see Warner giving you 2 blus, 2 dvds and the digital copy. I'm curious if the dvd version will even get a matching commentary track?

It's hard to make everyone happy, but if Warner can get the "movie only" people to buy in to this and keep the 2 disc sd dvds for the other group, then maybe in the future they could start phasing out "bare-bones" dvds. That's a good start which would save them money.
Old 12-17-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Then seriously, make it optional!
If they made 2 versions, 1 with JUST the Bluray disc version.
Another with a Bluray disc/DVD combo for $5 more. Then there's no problem.

There was a reason why in the old days the CD/cassette combo releases were hopeless in sales....
One of the ideas behind this is to reduce the SKUs needed at retail, giving more available variety to consumers.

CD/Cassette is not analogous to BD/DVD
Old 12-17-09, 01:17 PM
Suspended

Apparently, and some are trying to confirm this, Combo packs will be the only way to get Warner Theatrical movies in 2010. So if you are a DVD buyer, you'll be getting a BD and DC as well. And likely the DVD will have no Special Features
Old 12-17-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Yes, if that person actually wants to watch it in SD at times. Personally, if I have a movie in HD, that's the only way I'll watch it from then on.
Yeah, but there's also families on road trips to consider, prolonged business engagements where a Blu-ray player isn't available, going over to friend's houses for a casual movie night, and a bunch of other secondary use reasons that make the additional disc a positive. We've used one of the Disney DVDs included when going over to the in-laws house. I like it.
Old 12-17-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

If we're seeing the beginning of the end for standalone DVD releases, how long before DVD-only players are phased out?
Old 12-17-09, 05:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If we're seeing the beginning of the end for standalone DVD releases, how long before DVD-only players are phased out?
Not in the next decade. DVD players are to cheap to make and continue to sell. You might see big CE's stop making them, but they will still be on store shelves for a long time.
Old 12-17-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Probably by next Tuesday at the latest.
Old 12-17-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It doesn't download from iTunes servers per say. The digital copy included on the "disc" includes an MPEG-4 version for those people using iTunes and a WMV version for those people not using iTunes.

Honestly, I'd say ditch the digital copy disc and include a download link from iTunes only. However, then you piss off those who have non-iPod devices; but fuck em. OR ditch the digital copy all together, but for some odd reason, people love them.
Old 12-17-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Apparently, and some are trying to confirm this, Combo packs will be the only way to get Warner Theatrical movies in 2010. So if you are a DVD buyer, you'll be getting a BD and DC as well. And likely the DVD will have no Special Features
That just seems borderline-suicidal.

1) If they price the combo the same as a Blu-ray disc, the inflated sticker price will almost certainly throttle sales for people who just want the DVD. They'd be leaving a mindboggling amount of money on the table doing this.

2) If they lower the price of the BD/DVD combo to be the same as a day-and-date DVD, they'd presumably be lowering the price of their catalog BD titles accordingly as well. (At least, they've been charging less for their catalog titles than they have been for their day-and-dates; surely if the price of the day-and-dates plummets, the catalog titles would follow suit.) What would they stand to gain?

3) There's no question that there'd be a colossal backlash from consumers who feel abandoned when it comes to extras. It's not a matter of a handful of titles lacking extras or a feature or two missing, but a sweeping change that leaves the overwhelming majority of their user base in the dust. Is that sort of ill will worth it?

I can't imagine that there's any chance that there won't be standalone DVD releases. I don't see where there's even any financial incentive from Warner to do this.
Old 12-17-09, 09:27 PM
Suspended

Yeah, I didn't buy it either, but the person contacted multiple people in the retail world and that's what they believe as well from the press release. After a few of us (myself included) told him how crazy that was, he shot off a few e-mails to Warner. Still no response yet. I think he misunderstood what the press release said, as did many others.
Old 12-18-09, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

They need to also include a laserdisc copy- a VHS or Beta copy would be nice too, but you could just record the laserdisc onto one if you needed that.
Old 12-18-09, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
They need to also include a laserdisc copy- a VHS or Beta copy would be nice too, but you could just record the laserdisc onto one if you needed that.
A completely irrelevant argument (unless it's just a joke, but still). Very few people still watch movies on VHS (if they even have a VHS player still). But a lot of people still have DVD players. And a majority of people who have blu-ray players still have DVD players that they use for various applications. I'd say this will be the way it is for a long time. DVD itself will last a long time as a lot of people will see no reason to buy into blu-ray since they don't have HDTVs. Will it be possible for blu-ray players to get so cheap (and I mean $30 or less as DVD players are getting) that people will buy them anyway to play DVDs, even if they don't have an HDTV player? Probably, but not for a long time. Plus blu-ray player manufacturers are minimizing the outputs toward just one output, so having blu-ray players compatible with older TVs will be a huge factor. Until SDTVs and screens (including portable devices) completely phase out, DVDs will still have a place in the market. This is a different transition that it was for VHS -> DVD. Plus it's easier to package a DVD and blu-ray together.

As for the other mentions, do I need to even argue the point? Beta and Laserdisc (as well as HD DVD) are practically failed formats (meaning for the mass market, even though beta and laserdisc may have found their place). There's no reason that studios should continue to manufacture those.

As for people who believe this is bad for the studios, I don't completely agree, but understand your point. But really, does it matter to us? We don't complain when we get a blu-ray for $5 (knowing someone's losing money on it), so I say we should enjoy the benefit of the combos while it lasts.
Old 12-18-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Okay, just so I understand the complaints....

1) The "I don't want to/can't afford to go Blu" camp is upset that, to continue to buy Warner movies next year, they have to buy BD's and DC's with their DVD's that likely will not include the same bonus content found on the BD portion of the combos.

2) The "Digital Copies are the greatest abomination mankind has spawned yet" camp is upset that digital copies are going to continue to exist and be included in their purchases.

3) The "I'm already Blu" camp...just what is your complaint, exactly? That you don't need a DVD because you're HD or nothin'?

Okay, in order:

1) I wouldn't be surprised if the feature is on a BD and a DVD, and the bonus content depends on how current the release is. For instance, with the recent Wizard of Oz release, most of the bonus content was in standard definition anyway. Why not save some coin and just put that stuff on a DVD? For current bonus materials (such as, say, those featured on The Dark Knight), HD content ought to be presented on a BD. By my reasoning, some titles would have a DVD bonus disc and others a BD bonus disc, then. Some people would have to get a Blu-ray player to watch their bonus discs, while others could stay SD.

2) Get over it. Your complaints are getting old.

3) Remember, there are unfortunate people out there whose children can only watch DVD's in their SUVs between school and the dentist's office. Try not to rub in their faces your good fortune; it's unbecoming.
Old 12-18-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
The "I don't want to/can't afford to go Blu" camp is upset that, to continue to buy Warner movies next year, they have to buy BD's and DC's with their DVD's that likely will not include the same bonus content found on the BD portion of the combos.
...but there's no clear indication that's what's happening.

The way I picture it, Warner is taking what they've been doing with some of their family titles -- like Shorts -- and expanding it to the entire line.

You can buy:

1) a standalone DVD with at least some extras, though the Blu-ray may be more extensive

- or -

2) a combo package that includes (a) a Blu-ray disc and (b) a DVD that includes both the movie with no extras and a digital copy

Warner isn't raising the prices, so at worst, you'll have a disc in your case that you never use. There's no reason for anyone to complain. Everyone gets what they want (with the possible exception of features creeping away from DVDs and onto Blu-ray discs, but I don't think you'll see a lot of special edition BDs and barebones standalone DVDs).
Old 12-18-09, 09:04 PM
Suspended

Well, MSRP may have not gone up, but retailers may see this additional 'value' and raise street prices. As it stands, everything after Christmas has gone back to Q2ish 'street' pricing of $27ish. Lame.
Old 12-19-09, 03:27 AM

2) The "Digital Copies are the greatest abomination mankind has spawned yet" camp is upset that digital copies are going to continue to exist and be included in their purchases.
Digital Copy per se was never an abomination, so long as I don't lose picture and audio quality to get it. The abomination is DC is designed to expire. That makes DC of no benefit to me, because I might want to watch the movie a few years from now. Worse, what if I buy a BD a year or two after release because it's now cheap, and the DC has already expired? Way to go, studios! To the extent that DC increases prices, it's a ripoff.
Old 12-19-09, 11:22 AM
Suspended

The first title will be The Informant in February.
Old 12-19-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first title will be The Informant in February.
According to the trade ad they put up at DVD Active, looks like standalone DVD-only releases will continue as well:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...informant.html

Looks like the whole "combos only" just applies to BD releases going forward....
Old 12-19-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
The abomination is DC is designed to expire. That makes DC of no benefit to me, because I might want to watch the movie a few years from now.
The code expires; the DC itself does not. Once you've downloaded it, it's yours forever.

Worse, what if I buy a BD a year or two after release because it's now cheap, and the DC has already expired? Way to go, studios! To the extent that DC increases prices, it's a ripoff.
Look; we will likely never be able to legally import a DVD or Blu-ray in iTunes the way we can import a CD because the studios are never going to allow it to happen. Digital Copies are a compromise offer to fans who want their movies on disc and their iPod and don't want to have to buy them twice to have them there. Yes, they could do a better job of keeping the codes active, but remember this is still a fairly new system.

It's also worth noting that DC's appear to only be included with initial shipments of most titles, expected to sell through before their expiration date. I know fans have found titles for sale, brand new, at retailers with expired DC codes, but I suspect these purchases are in the striking minority.
Old 12-19-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's also worth noting that DC's appear to only be included with initial shipments of most titles, expected to sell through before their expiration date..
That really only applies to Warner's Digital Copy Special Edition line.