Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

To Play This BD, You Must Renew...

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-05-09, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. I bought Angels and Demons on Blu. Pop in in my PS3 and get:

To play this BD, You must Renew the encryption key

Just lovely!

From what I can figure out as a layman I have to hook up my PS3 to the internet and upgrade the PS3 software as Angels and Demons was authored, or whatever the terminology is, is a newer software.

Can I do this with just a USB port? Or is this more complicated?

Can't find the manual that came with the PS3 so need to figure this out as I gather more movies are going to give me this same grief.

Do all blu-ray players require this "regular" updating?

What does your average person do that doesn't have internet, or does but has no way to figure out what's going on to do? There have to be thousands of people like that. And they want blu to become the standard?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James
Old 12-05-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: To Play This BD, You Must Renew...

Have you considered checking Sony's PS3 website?

http://www.us.playstation.com/Suppor...pc_update.html

Old 12-05-09, 10:53 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, you can do the update via a USB flash drive. Download the update and put it on the flash drive. It needs to be in a specific folder on the drive, something like PS3\Update. The Sony site should mention that so look for it. It's very easy to do via USB - I've done it many times. And, yes, virtually all players seem to require an update at some point.
Old 12-05-09, 11:03 AM

Thanks!

Yeah, Flash Drive it is. Just have to get one. There are some that are $10.00 to $15.00 so that's not bad. Will check out which ones are recommended.

James
Old 12-05-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you not have a wireless connection in your house? The PS3 is very easy to set up if you do, plus you would have access to the BD-Live features of your movies. Plus, I don't care how much you think you would never play games on it, there are a lot of free demos to try out. You really do owe it to yourself to have the PS3 online.
Old 12-05-09, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by collven
Do you not have a wireless connection in your house? The PS3 is very easy to set up if you do, plus you would have access to the BD-Live features of your movies. Plus, I don't care how much you think you would never play games on it, there are a lot of free demos to try out. You really do owe it to yourself to have the PS3 online.
I only have dial up. It's an old foggie thing.

James
Old 12-05-09, 11:41 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Welcome to Blu-ray!
Old 12-05-09, 11:54 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
I only have dial up. It's an old foggie thing.

James
Ouch. The updates are about 120MB, so it's going to take a while to download via dial up. You may want to see if there is a friend or library with a broadband connection that you can use.
Old 12-05-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Welcome to Blu-ray!
Old 12-08-09, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jim
Ouch. The updates are about 120MB, so it's going to take a while to download via dial up. You may want to see if there is a friend or library with a broadband connection that you can use.
Was 155mb. Took approximately 8 hours. Was nuts. Hope this doesn't have to be done to often.

James
Old 12-08-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was 155mb. Took approximately 8 hours.
Ouch. What a cluster. What's someone supposed to do who doesn't have an internet connection at all?
Old 12-08-09, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Ouch. What a cluster. What's someone supposed to do who doesn't have an internet connection at all?
There must be thousands of people in that situation. Eventually their Blu-Ray player will become a paperweight and they will probably switch back to DVD.

Maybe the studios could put updates on the DVD discs so your player could update, if needed, before it plays the movie. Don't know if this would work though as I don't know how many different players take different software updates. May not be feasible.

I've seen it with games (update included) but have not seen it mentioned anywhere concerning movies.

James
Old 12-08-09, 07:48 AM
Banned

i dont get why you can buy a blu ray player and then start building your blu ray collection but dont want high speed access. Unless your in a location where you cant get access, sounds a bit odd
Old 12-08-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bd...?
i dont get why you can buy a blu ray player and then start building your blu ray collection but dont want high speed access. Unless your in a location where you cant get access, sounds a bit odd
I have absolutely immense interest in watching HD movies at home. Meanwhile, I have zero interest in connecting my BD player to the internet (which would require a very inconvenient and awkward cord-run to my access point if I did want to do it).

Many people are in a location where they can't get access. My home internet connection was out for a couple of months due to various service provider snafus. If, during that time, I'd brought home a disc (with a Blu-ray logo on it) and put it into my player (with a Blu-ray logo on it), only to get a message telling me I need to go online, I would've been PISSED. I'd be pissed to get that now, even though my internet's back.

It'd be one thing if, say, some BD-Live features required an internet-based update to work. That makes sense. The main feature, though, should play when you put it into a player. PERIOD.
Old 12-08-09, 09:09 AM

I don't get why in order to have a blu-ray player and then start building your blu-ray collection you have to get high speed internet access.

James
Old 12-08-09, 09:10 AM
Banned

Oh I agree with bd live. Im not a fan of it at all. I think one of the main hinderences for blu ray is the fact that you have to update the firmware to play certain movies, or they wont play at all.
Old 12-08-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
It'd be one thing if, say, some BD-Live features required an internet-based update to work. That makes sense. The main feature, though, should play when you put it into a player. PERIOD.
I agree. Yet another prime example of misdirected corporations believing consumer-punishing DRM is the answer to their problems.
Old 12-08-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Money? I can't speak for JamesDFarrow, but I pay $99 a year for dial-up and wireless broadband (no cable here) is about $70 a month. Let's see... $99 or $840 a year. I can buy a whole lot of BDs with that $741 difference. For broadband there is always the local library. People who drop hundreds of dollars a year just for broadband must be rich, or need it to work from home.

I don't get why in order to have a blu-ray player and then start building your blu-ray collection you have to get high speed internet access.

James
Exactly. At least some BD player manufacturers will send out firmware on CDs and it is easy to burn one's own CDs if one has access to broadband somewhere.

-Another old foggie (who lives on a budget)
Old 12-08-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My player has had two firmware updates in the past two weeks. BD-Live is a joke as well. Blu-Ray isn't even half as good as I thought it would be. Too much shit required to do not a lot.
Old 12-09-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh I agree with bd live. Im not a fan of it at all. I think one of the main hinderences for blu ray is the fact that you have to update the firmware to play certain movies, or they wont play at all.
Use a home theater PC with Slysoft.
Old 12-09-09, 02:19 PM
Suspended

There must be thousands of people in that situation. Eventually their Blu-Ray player will become a paperweight and they will probably switch back to DVD.

Maybe the studios could put updates on the DVD discs so your player could update, if needed, before it plays the movie. Don't know if this would work though as I don't know how many different players take different software updates. May not be feasible.

I've seen it with games (update included) but have not seen it mentioned anywhere concerning movies.

James
Seriously doubt it. In this thread is the first person that I have ever met that has a bluray player with only dial up. I'd say that it is very rare.
Old 12-09-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Seriously doubt it. In this thread is the first person that I have ever met that has a bluray player with only dial up. I'd say that it is very rare.
Maybe, most of the people with dial-up aren't spending their limited surfing time on these sites.
Old 12-09-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
One of my brothers has a blu-ray player but no broadband. He refuses to pay for dial-up, so no internet at home whatsoever. He does not live in the city but there are areas near him with broadband, just not where he lives.
Old 12-09-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where I keep my PS3 is out of range of my Wi-Fi router, but since I don't play any multiplayer games on my PS3 and I don't care about BD-Live, it's not a big deal. But then something like this crops up, and I have to carry my PS3 into another room just to get the update.
Old 12-09-09, 07:39 PM

I wonder how long it will be that you won't be able to have a toaster, or microwave, or whatever without having high speed access to update the software.

But, when it gets to the point that you can't flush the toilet without it, that's where I draw the line.

James

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.