Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

To Play This BD, You Must Renew...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

To Play This BD, You Must Renew...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: To Play This BD, You Must Renew...

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Where I keep my PS3 is out of range of my Wi-Fi router, but since I don't play any multiplayer games on my PS3 and I don't care about BD-Live, it's not a big deal. But then something like this crops up, and I have to carry my PS3 into another room just to get the update.
IIRC you can update the ps3 from a thumb drive.
Old 12-10-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Seriously doubt it. In this thread is the first person that I have ever met that has a bluray player with only dial up. I'd say that it is very rare.
Oh come now. There are millions of people with dial-up; the idea that almost none of them buy Blu-ray Disc players is absurd. Not everyone wants to waste money on broadband (or cable/satellite TV, for that matter). A high speed internet connection is not required to enjoy home theater. It shouldn't be a requirement to enjoy Blu-ray Discs, which is the salient point here.

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Maybe, most of the people with dial-up aren't spending their limited surfing time on these sites.
While it is probably true that vast majority of people here have broadband, whether at home, school, or at work, DVD Talk works fine on dial-up. The secret to dial-up is to open numerous windows and tabs and be working/reading one while the others are loading, then toggle to the next. Even on dial-up it isn't necessary to do the "World Wide Wait" if one knows how to avoid it. The only limitation is that large files — movie trailers, for example — are impractical to download/stream on a slow connection. Those have to wait for a broadband connection; I use the library and a one day a week volunteer job for broadband. It isn't much of a sacrifice.

Perhaps JamesDFarrow and I are the only two on dial-up here, but I doubt it.
Old 12-10-09, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone thought of tethering? Technology exists today to tether your PC to your smartphone in order to get high speed internet accessvia your phone. Just need to get Sony onboard with getting the PS3 to support that technology.
Old 12-13-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hadn't realized that there had to be constant updates for even the movie portion of a blu-ray to work ... I guess that means I have to stop badgering my parents to upgrade to blu because unless they are in the middle of nowhere and pretty much stuck with dialup.
Old 12-13-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by silentbob007
I hadn't realized that there had to be constant updates for even the movie portion of a blu-ray to work ... I guess that means I have to stop badgering my parents to upgrade to blu because unless they are in the middle of nowhere and pretty much stuck with dialup.
I've never had a movie not work on my Panny BD80. I think it depends on the movie and player.

If you are willing to keep an eye on firmware updates, you could burn update CDs and give them to your parents from time to time. Just a suggestion.
Old 12-13-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lizard
I've never had a movie not work on my Panny BD80. I think it depends on the movie and player.

If you are willing to keep an eye on firmware updates, you could burn update CDs and give them to your parents from time to time. Just a suggestion.
Definitely must be the players. I had a Sony with no updates for at least 9 months and it played about 200 BDs with no problem. Heck, I only did the first update because I was getting curious if anything would improve or change when I did. As far I can tell, nothing changed.

We are looking for a house to buy right now and we found this beautiful community where the the houses have smart boxes. They put your router in there with the cable modem and with ethernet connections in all of the rooms, you can be wired to all your computers and blu-ray players. It's pretty cool.
Old 12-14-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Ouch. What a cluster. What's someone supposed to do who doesn't have an internet connection at all?
I agree with you in that it is crazy that you have to have internet access to watch a movie on a stand-alone BD player (the PS3), but I guess that's the way it is.

In the future, do downloads like that at your local library, 150 GB will download in ten or fifteen minutes, while you are surfing DVDTalk.

Until earlier this year I was also a dial-up customer but luckily I had a low-cost wireless DSL move into my town. For $20 I can download at about 65 kbps - not cable internet speeds, but less than half the price of cable internet ($45 to $50 around here). It's all about saving the money to spend where I want to. Think of it as my getting a "free" BD each month.
Old 12-14-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamers
Has anyone thought of tethering? Technology exists today to tether your PC to your smartphone in order to get high speed internet accessvia your phone. Just need to get Sony onboard with getting the PS3 to support that technology.
You can do it. It'd be easier to just go to a computer at the library or from work or a friend.

To do it:
Install linux, use your tethering gadget. Download file. Copy to usb drive. Boot back to the PS3 menu. Load update.
Old 12-15-09, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
It's DRM. My PS3, which hadn't been used since September 2008, required a firmware update for Terminator Salvation. I'm not sure if it's AACS or BD+ that's to blame, but I wasn't aware of Warner using the latter.