Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommended titles that have cool Blu-Ray features?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I just got a blu-ray player (Samsung BDP 1600) and I am looking for movie titles that have cool Blu-Ray features (that are different than the normal DVD features).

For example, I have heard that (a) the new Watchman blu-ray disc has a feature where you get to see the director analyze the film during the middle of the film. And I have heard that (b) the new Snow White blu-ray has some been enhanced with new background paintings to allow for a widescreen presentation and not just a 4:3 ratio. And I have heard (c) that the new Star Trek Original Series blu-ray has a feature that allows you to see the new special effects or the old special effects.

All of those special features are *not* available on the standard DVD.

Do you have any other suggestions?

thanks
Stan
Old 10-10-09, 07:13 PM

Re: Recommended titles that have cool Blu-Ray features?

I had done search before, but I think I didn't get the right keywords. Now, when just browsing, I ran across this link.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/562...ggestions.html
Old 10-10-09, 08:00 PM

Well, it looks like I am answering my own question.

That dvdtalk link above link led to http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/560...t-brs-get.html but it was specific to movie titles that had great picture quality and audio quality. There weren't any recommendations for blu-ray discs that have unique/awesome special features.

If anyone has any titles with unique/awesome special features, then I would still love for you to list them.

With all of that being said, the dvdtalk link http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/16...omer-help.html led to an external link ( http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/reviews_supps.html ) that rates the special features of blu-ray discs. And one section in their reviews is a section entitled "HD Bonus Content: Any Exclusive Goodies in There?" Hopefully, that will answer what I am looking for.
Old 10-11-09, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Enchanted's 'Disneyfile' mode was really awesome. It's a trivia game and kinda/sorta commentary that runs over the feature film and even has its' own host (the "dwarf" from the film).
Old 10-11-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For some reason the BD features don't seem to be a topic of conversation unless the BD is missing some of the features from previous versions.
Old 10-11-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
For some reason the BD features don't seem to be a topic of conversation unless the BD is missing some of the features from previous versions.
I think some of that could be that people were mostly satisfied with DVD special features. It seems like they're still trying to find compelling applications for stuff like BD-Live, which has often just been used to make you download featurettes that should have been on the disc in the first place. There have been some gimmicks like showing the local weather. As for PiP, some people think it's nice, but I'm not really a fan because I think it's just too much to take in at once. An audio commentary and separated documentary/featurettes will suit me fine.

BTW, the Pinocchio disc also has the side art. I'm not sure why they felt it necessary, as I don't think there's been a call for something to fill in the top and bottom of a 2.40:1 movie. It seems like some people have an aversion to side bars for some reason. Maybe people have just become accustomed to letterboxing over the years, but pillarboxing is relatively new and they haven't gotten used to it yet.
Old 10-11-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
There have been some gimmicks like showing the local weather. As for PiP, some people think it's nice, but I'm not really a fan because I think it's just too much to take in at once. An audio commentary and separated documentary/featurettes will suit me fine.

If I'm sitting down to watch a movie I already know the weather.

I liked the PiP commentary for Band Of Brothers however I didn't see it as any improvement over similiar commentaries I've seen on SD. I know on Mamma Mia, the BD live lets me chat with my friends and send each other my favorite scenes. If I'm watching a movie, I just want to watch, I have no more interest in an online chat than I do listening to yuk yuks in the theater discuss the movie.
Old 10-12-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Transformers - The BD-Live: "Intelligence Center" is pretty cool. Activate this feature, and the film begins, but it's rescaled to a smaller size and wrapped in a custom skin. You can now watch the movie with the assistance of five different "Widgets." The "Robot Status" widget lists icons on the left side of the screen for each Autobot and Decepticon in the movie. The icons will activate whenever a particular robot is on the screen, and will keep track of their "damage," allowing you to literally "keep score" as the movie plays. Other widgets include "Data Manager," which provides a detailed pop-up of various tech info on each robot (vehicle type, weapons, etc); and "Alerts," a sort of extension of a subtitle fact track that provides somewhat snarky info on various events as they happen on screen (at one point, our attention is pointed to a seemingly random extra, who it is claimed was seen in Michael Bay's 'Armageddon' "over 24 times").
Old 10-17-09, 07:21 PM

I don't mean to send readers to other forums, but a little 'google'-ing has let me to some interesting websites.

In case you are interested:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=118193 talks about cool features for blu-ray movies, but doesn't specifically compare blu-ray vs DVD. And Blade Runner is their favorite in blu-ray special features.

And http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=118261 talks about the features of the new JJ Abrams "Star Trek" . The thread focuses on the differences between different blu-ray editions from different countries and the features that are exclusive to U.S. stores. However, it does list the Paramount press release and the special features, and specifically mentions which features are BD-explusive.

I suspect I will need to go read individual reviews / press releases of several movie titles.
Old 10-17-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Though I can't recommend the film, I hear the IMDb BD-Live feature on Wolverine is pretty damn cool. I hope to see it on a title I care about in the future.
Old 10-17-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stanl2
I don't mean to send readers to other forums, but a little 'google'-ing has let me to some interesting websites.

In case you are interested:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=118193 talks about cool features for blu-ray movies, but doesn't specifically compare blu-ray vs DVD. And Blade Runner is their favorite in blu-ray special features.
Well, funny you should mention BR, considering that most (or all?) of the special features are also available on the DVD version. And, most everything but the commentaries and introductions (naturally) are actually on DVDs! Yes, the 2 supplemental discs are the same as what's included in the DVD version. It's not what you were looking for, despite having great extras.
Old 10-18-09, 10:13 AM

Yes. As I was reading about Blade Runner, I can't find a special feature on blu-ray that is not already on the DVD. There might be, but I don't see it. And that is what I was curious about.

On a side note: However, one big advantage to the 5-disc blu-ray of Blade Runner is that you don't *have* to purchase that suitcase and the trinkets inside. If you want Disc #5, the WorkPrint version of Blade Runner, then you have to get one of the 5-disc collections ... either the 5-disc blu-ray sans the briefcase ... or the 5-disc DVD with the briefcase. I know there are a lot of people who like those non-disc extras, the plastic trinkets, but I don't. I love the extras (beyond a movie), but I want them to be on the disc, and I want them to fit on my shelf. But, that is just my pet peeve.

Humorous question: What is the appropriate short hand notation for the blu-ray of Blade Runner? BD of BR ? or BR of BR ? :
Old 10-26-09, 09:05 PM

Well, I can remember not being impressed with Terminator Salvation when it was in theaters. (perhaps I should give it a second chance).

But, given the original question about special features in blu-ray vs the special features in the DVD, then I think this title would be one to consider. The blu-ray version's extras seem to be vastly superior to the DVD's extras.
Old 10-28-09, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by stanl2
Humorous question: What is the appropriate short hand notation for the blu-ray of Blade Runner? BD of BR ? or BR of BR ? :
I was thinking the same thing reading this thread before I reached this point and found you had already asked it!

I like to call it BR<sup>2</sup>