Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator Salvation Dec 1st

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Terminator Salvation Dec 1st

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Terminator Salvation Dec 1st

Also have seen it in the Walmart $5 bin.
Old 11-25-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

The blu rental copy is just disc one theatrical version and no menu other then language, not even a scenes option.
Old 11-30-09, 03:51 PM

saw this pop up on Amazon today had't seen anything about it here
Terminator Salvation [Blu-ray] (2009) Collectors Edition
Listed at $125.99

Includes a mounted model of a Terminator Cycle.
Old 12-01-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Al Kohal
saw this pop up on Amazon today had't seen anything about it here
Terminator Salvation [Blu-ray] (2009) Collectors Edition
Listed at $125.99

Includes a mounted model of a Terminator Cycle.
oh cool, I wish I knew if it were gonna drop to $50 any time soon.
Old 12-01-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked this up at WM for $19.98.

As this hasn't been mentioned yet, the way the discs are set-up:

Disc 1: Theatrical Cut, Maximum Movie Mode, and additional bonus material.
Disc 2: Director's Cut (no extras).
Disc 3: Digital Copy of Theatrical Cut.

Watching the Director's Cut while I clean the house right now. VC1 transfer averaging around 20 mbps looks pretty solid and the DTS-HD MA 5.1 track is loud and booming.

Really wish Warner would give you the digital copy of the Director's / Extended cuts on these discs rather than the Theatrical; but whatever. At least this one is compatible with a Mac unlike some of the last few Warner has put out (Observe and Report).
Old 12-01-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those that haven't picked this up yet...

Best Buy's ad says that the Blu-ray is $19.99, but you can order it online and do in-store pickup for $15.99 plus tax; cheaper than both Target and Amazon.
Old 12-01-09, 03:09 PM

Target has a $5 coupon off most Blu-Rays. I tried it today and got Terminator Salvation Blu-Ray for $14.99. Print out the coupon from their website and take it to the store. Click grocery coupons at the bottom, then movies on the left.

Last edited by christhn; 12-01-09 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can anyone explain this line on the front page of dvdtalk regarding T4:

a film that's filled with both jaw-dropping action and thought provoking, thematically driven concepts

Are they serious?
Old 12-01-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I pre-ordered mine at Amazon at the starting price of $19.99. They sent me a e-mail saying it shipped at final cost of $15.99. Thumbs up on Amazon.
Old 12-01-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki

a film that's filled with both jaw-dropping action and thought provoking, thematically driven concepts

Are they serious?
Sarcasm?
Old 12-01-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki

Are they serious?
I never comment on reviews but this one is so baffling that there has to be a bias of some kind behind that review. The review doesn't even make any sense. Salvation is the definition of an "empty" move with zero imagination. There is nothing thought provoking about it, unless the viewer desperately is trying to make the movie be something that it is not. There were so many "what's the point" moments that I lost count. It doesn't establish the future of the franchise or offer anything new outside of future glimpses of characters. Much like the last Indy movie the movie plays out like an uncalled for milking of a franchise which is the way Bale played his role. Like the stuntcasting that it was of Hollywood's "it" man to get more viewers to the theater. The speical effects were rock solid, but the you forget about what you saw 10 minutes after watching the movie because the film is so shallow.
Old 12-01-09, 05:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't compare this to Crystal Skull. Compared to Salvation, Crystal Skull was a deep examination of an aging archaeologist, searching for acceptance among dead cultures.
Old 12-01-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it isn't as bad as people make it out to be either. I do agree with the review in that McG at least took a chance and did something different than the "Arnold is sent back to protect John" storyline.
Old 12-01-09, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Don't compare this to Crystal Skull. Compared to Salvation, Crystal Skull was a deep examination of an aging archaeologist, searching for acceptance among dead cultures.
So how do you explain the aliens?
Old 12-01-09, 06:33 PM
Banned by request

George Lucas' inability to tell a coherent story?
Old 12-01-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fair point. Personally I was left with the same feeling by both films after leaving the theater. At least the special effects were solid if not derivative in Salvation as opposed to the high school film class production of the green screen on Skull.
Old 12-01-09, 06:54 PM
Banned by request

See, I saw it as at least Crystal Skull had the undeniable charm of Harrison Ford and Cate Blanchett, whereas Terminator Salvation had empty, drab, overwrought performances.
Old 12-01-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

See, I saw it as at least Crystal Skull had the undeniable charm of Harrison Ford and Cate Blanchett, whereas Terminator Salvation had empty, drab, overwrought performances.
I agree. Not sure if it would've made a difference or the screenplay was that bad, but Bale was completely miscast.
Old 12-01-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I never comment on reviews but this one is so baffling that there has to be a bias of some kind behind that review. The review doesn't even make any sense. Salvation is the definition of an "empty" move with zero imagination. There is nothing thought provoking about it, unless the viewer desperately is trying to make the movie be something that it is not. There were so many "what's the point" moments that I lost count. It doesn't establish the future of the franchise or offer anything new outside of future glimpses of characters. Much like the last Indy movie the movie plays out like an uncalled for milking of a franchise which is the way Bale played his role. Like the stuntcasting that it was of Hollywood's "it" man to get more viewers to the theater. The speical effects were rock solid, but the you forget about what you saw 10 minutes after watching the movie because the film is so shallow.
If it was just the war against the machines versus the Resistance and John Connor, well, I would have agreed with you. However, I thought the Marcus Wright character was what made this movie 'thought provoking' in its thematical implementation. As I mentioned in my review, I thought that if another Terminator film focused -solely- on John Connor, it would have been too old hat for anybody to care, especially with the way Bale played his role to an uncalled for extreme. It's almost as if he wanted to be Batman again at times.

Anyways, Marcus Wright was a very clever way to get around that same ole' storyline that would have undoubtedly bored the audience to tears. Marcus brought a whole lot of new elements to the war against the machines. One of the more interesting aspects of the Terminator franchise of a whole thus far has been the examination of what it means to be human - Why is it so important to save the human spirit? Can the human spirit be used to overcome the programming of a machine? What are truly the boundaries that separate man and machine, and can they be blurred? We've seen the human spirit show us love between Kyle and Sarah, and the will to survive, and we've seen it contrasted with a cold calculating machine that would stop at nothing to kill. We've seen a boy without a father figure use the machine not only as his bodyguard, but actually become its friend. The third film offered nothing, of course, but this film takes all of the ideologies that have been contemplated in the saga thus far and took it to the next level. Marcus Wright embodies the battle between good and evil and man and machine all at the same time, and Sam Worthington did an AMAZING job in my opinion of pulling it off to a T. To say this implementation wasn't creative is your opinion, but I highly beg to differ.

Anyways, that's all just my opinion, of course. I expected some people would gawk at my review and say, 'really'? But I think for the movie Salvation was meant to be, it did everything it needed to, and with the invention of Marcus Wright, it did it creatively and effectively.

HOWEVER...

I think the true test will be the next film. The guy who played Kyle was perfect for his performance THIS time, just a teenage weakling that really needs to fill his shoes that we know he eventually will. I'm not sure if he can pull of 'bad ass' Reese in the future, but I know Bale can pull of the Connor he needs to be... because he showed all his cards way too soon in this film.
Old 12-01-09, 07:55 PM
Banned by request

In what way does Marcus embody the thematic struggle inherent in the series? He's a total white hat the entire time. The only reason anyone in the movie distrusts him is because he's part machine. But he never does anything to betray John Connor's trust. He has no struggle, because he has no depth. At the beginning, they show him as a convict. At no point do we see him exhibit any behavior that a convict would. He stands up for women and for humans and that's it. Stupid, pointless, and boring.
Old 12-01-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Right from the start, he seemed pretty upset over the fact that people died because of his actions, it was eating away at him. Hence his 'tough to the end, let's just get it over with because I deserve it' routine. I can't really say much because I don't want to spoil everything, but I felt his journey brought him around to the proper place in the long run, finding a way to bring salvation not just to the human race, but for himself as well.

He embodies the thematic struggle in the series because as a machine himself, because he's not -precisely- what he appears to be. He's more than that, and the inconsistency of other humans - how some mistrust him and some don't - shows the struggle for humanity right there. What is 'humanity'. Is it merely flesh, blood, and bone? Or is it something more? If the humans ended up distrusting Marcus entirely and never coming around to the fact there's truly something human about him, then the humans have lost the war they were fighting for... because they would end up being just as cold and heartless as the machines. 'Our kind vs their kind, that's it'. If they identified the spiritual elements that made a human 'human' within Marcus, they'd understand that physical make-up ISN'T everything. The series has shown us over time that things aren't as black and white as they seem, and Salvation further solidifies that with the Marcus character in this very way. The ultimate struggle from within Marcus isn't that of 'oh am I human, or not'? It's CHOICE, and that's how the thematical element is played out from within Marcus as opposed as to how everyone else plays out their thematical elements.

Again, I don't expect people to agree, just how I see it
Old 12-01-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Right from the start, he seemed pretty upset over the fact that people died because of his actions, it was eating away at him. Hence his 'tough to the end, let's just get it over with because I deserve it' routine. I can't really say much because I don't want to spoil everything, but I felt his journey brought him around to the proper place in the long run, finding a way to bring salvation not just to the human race, but for himself as well.

He embodies the thematic struggle in the series because as a machine himself, because he's not -precisely- what he appears to be. He's more than that, and the inconsistency of other humans - how some mistrust him and some don't - shows the struggle for humanity right there. What is 'humanity'. Is it merely flesh, blood, and bone? Or is it something more? If the humans ended up distrusting Marcus entirely and never coming around to the fact there's truly something human about him, then the humans have lost the war they were fighting for... because they would end up being just as cold and heartless as the machines. 'Our kind vs their kind, that's it'. If they identified the spiritual elements that made a human 'human' within Marcus, they'd understand that physical make-up ISN'T everything. The series has shown us over time that things aren't as black and white as they seem, and Salvation further solidifies that with the Marcus character in this very way. The ultimate struggle from within Marcus isn't that of 'oh am I human, or not'? It's CHOICE, and that's how the thematical element is played out from within Marcus as opposed as to how everyone else plays out their thematical elements.

Again, I don't expect people to agree, just how I see it
I approve of this post and your appreciation for the Terminator Universe.
Old 12-01-09, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

But his choices are never in doubt. He's just a generic action hero. Arnold had more shades of grey (and character development) in T2, and he was a programmed robot.
Old 12-01-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But his choices are never in doubt. He's just a generic action hero. Arnold had more shades of grey (and character development) in T2, and he was a programmed robot.
But the whole movie Marcus was, presumably, following his programming: to lure John to Skynet. We really don't know for sure if what he did was his own free will or if it was part of a larger scheme to gain acceptance by humans and infiltrate them so as to complete his mission.
Old 12-01-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think you're missing the point. Arnold's character did have 'more shades of grey' because he was still brutally machine, making the contrast between machine and what it's capable of that much more astonishing. Marcus' character was human at the start, and retained much of his human traits as a machine. To those that perceive Marcus for whatever they choose to perceive him as, represented humanity's struggle against the machines as a whole. Marcus' character brought more 'shades of grey' out of HUMANS BECAUSE of what he is... or isn't. Again, if they wrote him off simply because of his mechanical body despite humanity still being a very large part of his mind and spirit, then what were the humans really fighting for? The war against the machines isn't just 'survival of man', it becomes 'survival of what MAKES us human'. If we let the machines ruin our ability to look past physical make-up so we could ignore the very essence of humanity when it stared us straight in the face, we'd have failed ourselves.

Marcus on a personal level however had started off as someone who didn't care, someone who wanted to die for an easy way out of his guilt. At that point, he may as well have been a machine. However with Marcus as a REAL machine, he actually begins to find the human spirit more and more until he needs to face the choice of what his destiny is going to be. Does he cower into being a machine again, or does he make the choose to hold on to the human spirit? Does he side with the gifts of science, or does the human spirit overpower the machine? He lost his way when he was human, and in a way became a machine mentally. As a machine, he became more human. It was all about 'choice' to Marcus internally. I think on the surface anyone would find what you're saying is true but, this is what I've taken away from the film.

I guess in the end we should agree to disagree, and I'll leave it at, 'I just actually enjoyed the movie guys, believe it or not'.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.