Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator Salvation to get a R-Rated release...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Terminator Salvation to get a R-Rated release...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 315 Likes on 230 Posts
Re: Terminator Salvation to get a R-Rated release...

Originally Posted by Brandonct
Terminator Salvation is a long way from being the worst of the big summer releases. I would say that title is equally shared by the abominations known as Wolverine and Transformers 2. Those 2 movies are nearly unwatchable.
Again, I have to add that "Terminator Salvation" was unwatchable. I walked out of that theater pretty pissed actually at just how bad it was. It's an awful awful film that I will never sit through again.
Old 08-27-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 821 Likes on 638 Posts

I didn't avoid this movie because of the PG-13. I avoided it in theaters and decided to wait and rent because of all the venom that had poured out against it. Even a friend of mine who liked it told me it was just a rental at best.

Titties and a little extra blood don't make me excited to see this. It'll still be a lazy weekend rental if I remember to check it out.
Old 08-28-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you wanna talk about an unwatchable movie, check out Halloween II this weekend, thats the worst movie of the century right there.
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Again, I have to add that "Terminator Salvation" was unwatchable. I walked out of that theater pretty pissed actually at just how bad it was. It's an awful awful film that I will never sit through again.
Old 08-28-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honestly, it was worse than Wolverine and Transformers 2 because the source material (the movie versions) wasn't as good as T1 or T2. If you want to buy it, buy it, but I found it extremely boring.
Old 08-28-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
But interested enough in the Blu-ray to revisit the thread?

Hopefully those not interested will get their comment in about disliking the movie and move on.
Old 08-29-09, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I may blind-buy it. Had no interest in seeing a PG-13 Terminator movie.
Originally Posted by rexinnih
Missed this one in the theaters so a Netflix first and then decide to buy or not.
I'll still do a rental first. No way I'm buying that thing until it hits the bargain bin.
Old 08-29-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Terminator Salvation is among the worst films of the summer, and once the DVD is out, I'll be able to see Moon Bloodgood's tits online for free. Pass.
Same here. This ranks as the second worst film of the year for me behind The Informers. I'm not shocked it's going to get some pointless R-rating - it's not going to make the film any better. I wonder why they're not going the standard "Unrated" route with this one.
Old 08-29-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
Same here. This ranks as the second worst film of the year for me behind The Informers. I'm not shocked it's going to get some pointless R-rating - it's not going to make the film any better. I wonder why they're not going the standard "Unrated" route with this one.
I too was totally underwhelemd by this movie. As far as re-rating them goes, the R rated version of Pearl Harbor brought the film from horrible to mediocre. Actually I have the 4 disc SE with the R rated version and although the movie is still loaded with corny dialogue, it is far more pleasant to watch with some "meat" in the battle scenes. I'm hoping we see a BD with that version at some point. Hopefully it would help Terminator.
Old 08-29-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
I wonder why they're not going the standard "Unrated" route with this one.
I dunno what the rules are governing this stuff, but the cut they're releasing on Blu-Ray is the original theatrical cut McG wanted that was rated R by the MPAA. Like I said earlier, literally all he had to cut to get the PG-13 rating was 2 minor scenes, and as far as I know that's all they've added back in for the R-rated Blu-Ray. So it could be R rather than unrated because it's the exact same cut that the MPAA already rated.
Old 08-29-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While the theatrical cut wasn't that great, there's a chance that the R rated cut could be an improvement (although I will state that I'm not expecting any miracles).
Old 08-29-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I may blind-buy it. Had no interest in seeing a PG-13 Terminator movie.
Does that mean you missed the awasome "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" then?
Old 08-29-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
I dunno what the rules are governing this stuff, but the cut they're releasing on Blu-Ray is the original theatrical cut McG wanted that was rated R by the MPAA. Like I said earlier, literally all he had to cut to get the PG-13 rating was 2 minor scenes, and as far as I know that's all they've added back in for the R-rated Blu-Ray. So it could be R rather than unrated because it's the exact same cut that the MPAA already rated.
Doesn't "unrated" work better for marketing purposes, though?
Old 08-29-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked this movie enough to see it on Blu-ray. It's been a pretty weak year but it always is at this point of the year.
Old 08-29-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was also a topless scene of Moon Bloodgood that McG, even though he thought it was "beautiful", it was deemed gratuitous and hence dropped from the film. Obviously, not too gratuitous for home video.
I'm sure he did!
Old 08-29-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Maybe, I'm just wondering if the had to keep the R rating because it's the exact same cut that the MPAA rated R. Like I said, I'm not sure what the rules are when it comes to that.
Old 08-29-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
Maybe, I'm just wondering if the had to keep the R rating because it's the exact same cut that the MPAA rated R. Like I said, I'm not sure what the rules are when it comes to that.
They could have easily gone for an unrated with just a second of additional footage I'm sure is in the archives now.

But I think calling a PG-13 movie "unrated" will usually turn a number of people off because of past instances where the "unrated" PG-13 would still have garnered a PG-13 from the MPAA. Whereas an R rating shows that significant material has been edited back into the film (maybe not significant in this case, but definitely something).
Old 08-29-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
I'm sure he did!
I can only imagine the hand and eyebrow gestures he used as he said the word "beautiful".

Last edited by tylergfoster; 08-29-09 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-31-09, 09:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I think though it's a policy from Warner's that they don't release films 'unrated' on DVD/bluray - all their films have to carry a MPAA rating. Although I think thy reniged that for the upcoming complete cut of 'Natural Born Killers'
Old 08-31-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I think though it's a policy from Warner's that they don't release films 'unrated' on DVD/bluray - all their films have to carry a MPAA rating. Although I think thy reniged that for the upcoming complete cut of 'Natural Born Killers'
That policy was eliminated a long time ago, long before the upcoming NBK DC release....

No rating on this BD (that was released more than two and half years ago):
Old 08-31-09, 02:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ okay my bad

good I hate that expression.
Old 08-31-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is only one thing they could add to this disc that would get me to buy it- the footage of Christian Bale's tantrum.

"Oh GOOD for YOOOOUUUU!!!"
Old 08-31-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 821 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
There is only one thing they could add to this disc that would get me to buy it- the footage of Christian Bale's tantrum.

"Oh GOOD for YOOOOUUUU!!!"
And a bonus CD single of "Bale Out".
Old 09-01-09, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 962 Posts

I thought this movie was alright. Not as good as the first two films by James Cameron obviously but it was entertaining enough. I liked that it was a change in pace from the previous three movies and we got to see some of the war between man and machines. Most likely will pick the Blu-ray of it up when its out.
Old 09-02-09, 12:46 PM

Never actually seen it but I'll pick it up to complete the collection.
Old 09-02-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madlost1
Never actually seen it but I'll pick it up to complete the collection.

It was pretty mediocre but at some point I'll grab 3 and then 4 on BD just to be a completist.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.