Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 10/20/09

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 10/20/09

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 10/20/09

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I realize that, thanks to the auteur theory, the director is the one at whose feet any and all criticism is laid but I think it's somewhat disingenuous to vilify Bay for directing what someone else wrote. His philosophy appears to be, "you write it, I'll shoot it." He has ideas of things he'd want to shoot (and someone should have overruled his Devastator's balls idea), but he appears not to insert himself into the script too much. Blame Orci and Kurtzman and that other guy, blame Paramount and Dreamworks for rushing the script, but I think it's unfair to blame Bay for executing what he was given.
The screenwriters of this movie also wrote Star Trek, a far superior movie. They are capable of delivering a good script. This did not turn out to be one. The flaws of the movie have Michael Bay's stamp all over them: incoherent storytelling, juvenile humor, too much filler action, etc.

Surely, you don't think it's a coincidence that all of his movies have turned out the same? They weren't all written by the same people.
Old 12-03-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The screenwriters of this movie also wrote Star Trek, a far superior movie. They are capable of delivering a good script. This did not turn out to be one. The flaws of the movie have Michael Bay's stamp all over them: incoherent storytelling, juvenile humor, too much filler action, etc.

Surely, you don't think it's a coincidence that all of his movies have turned out the same? They weren't all written by the same people.
There was much debate online about how many confusing plot holes and frat humor were in Star Trek, too. My reading of the situation--and I am quick to observe that I have no personal access whatsoever beyond the same interviews and such that everyone else has seen--is that nobody was really prepared to make this film.

I might actually be more impressed by what this writing staff and Bay pulled off in such short time than I am by how successful the $15,000 Paranormal Activity has become. I know, we all like to see small market teams win the championship, but the large market teams have problems of a whole different scale that sometimes aren't fully appreciated.
Old 12-03-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 460 Likes on 320 Posts

Star Trek may have had a plot hole or two, but they were easy to look over, whereas Transformers2 had huge, gaping plot chasms bigger than the Grand Canyon. There's a (big) difference.
Old 12-03-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

But you still bought the Blu-ray?
Old 12-04-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Star Trek may have had a plot hole or two, but they were easy to look over, whereas Transformers2 had huge, gaping plot chasms bigger than the Grand Canyon. There's a (big) difference.
As a Trekkie, I'm wired to be more critical of sloppy scripts. The Transformers fan in me just wants to see robots in disguise beat the hell out of each other. I think this is why I'm pretty accepting of the flaws in that franchise to date (though I am perfectly aware of them and share everyone else's hopes that the next installment will be less of the same frat gags and more about the TF's themselves).
Old 12-04-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 460 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
But you still bought the Blu-ray?
I watched it with a friend for some laughs, but I certainly did not buy it.