Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was my most anticipated release of the year (until they announce Boogie Nights, of course). When they announced them for Aug. 4th I even started making plans to have people over that night and throw down some beer and watch these in HD glory... but then, no announcement of a delay, no word of any kind... they just didn't come out.

Anyway, I figured we could use a thread to keep track of any updates on these releases, and of course any discussion.
Old 08-07-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown thread

Good...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/553...ugust-4-a.html

... idea.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/547...ion-pixar.html
Old 08-07-09, 04:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

September 22nd is the last date I heard. Who knows if it sticks - it's Disney.
Old 08-07-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Gizmo,

Not to totally derail the thread, but didn't you say Half Baked was supposed to come out on 8/4? Any word on when that's been r/s to since it obviously didn't come out?
Old 08-09-09, 12:58 PM

Seeing the delay for Pulp Fiction makes me even more glad that I bit the bullet and ordered the Denmark SF Film edition when I did back in March.

Was looking forward to the US version for whatever extras it had and maybe better audio and video; but the European version does look and sound sweet.
Old 08-09-09, 01:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Hey Gizmo,

Not to totally derail the thread, but didn't you say Half Baked was supposed to come out on 8/4? Any word on when that's been r/s to since it obviously didn't come out?
That was Universal's original plans...but things change over there on a daily basis. Maybe they think they can tie it into something else? Honestly I don't think Universal is very happy with their HD DVD port sales and may be slowing down for a while until more people buy into the format. They've already released a lot of their 'big' titles and what's left is pretty 'meh'. I don't see a ton of other titles from them in the coming months (HD DVD ports) so maybe after the holidays when hopefully a ton of new people get players.

Many of these titles are done and ready to go but they just keep delaying like crazy. Look at I Now Pronounce You... that was done well over a year ago but they just got around to releasing it (hence the BD25 disc and lack of features). I would wager Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore and maybe Bulletproof hit in Nov/Dec when Funny People go to Blu-ray.
Old 08-09-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard "Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon" on the radio the other night and that reminded me again of these missing Blu-Ray's. I took a moment of silence to remember them and am praying for their safe return.
Old 08-09-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This thread is bringing me back to when Pulp Fiction (Special Edition) & Jackie Brown (only release) were released on DVD. I remember my friend and I driving to Circuit City on release day to pick up our copies together.
Old 08-09-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
This thread is bringing me back to when Pulp Fiction (Special Edition) & Jackie Brown (only release) were released on DVD. I remember my friend and I driving to Circuit City on release day to pick up our copies together.
I remember that day too. Drove to Best Buy right when the store opened to pick up both titles and using the $5 coupon if you purchased both together.

I remember the two-disc edition of Reservoir Dogs coming out either the week before or after; but I purchased my copy of that online.

That was a solid two weeks of DVD purchasing. Also remember buying Van Wilder at the same time; a regret that I may have six years later.
Old 08-09-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, that was a great day. I lived in Chicago then and took the train after work over to the North/Clyborne stop... picked up some iced coffee and walked to the Best Buy.

As I usually did, I would just stroll the aisles, looking at everything, sipping coffee, and sort of teasing myself before grabbing what I actually came for. I remember Jackie Brown being really hard to find... They had tons of copies of Pulp Fiction, but finally found one lone copy of Jackie Brown left on the shelf and snatched it up. Took both home and watched all the Siskel and Ebert stuff first.
Old 08-09-09, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes indeed, one of my better memories of a DVD release day Tuesday. IIRC, True Romance was released about the same time, if not the same day. All three were super-loaded, and came in nice deluxe editions. Those three really set the standard for DVD presentations, IMHO.
Old 09-01-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Any update on when these are supposed to be out? (Especially Pulp Fiction)
Old 09-01-09, 04:23 PM
Suspended

When Inglorious Basterds hits BD (so Nov/Dec?)
Old 09-01-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think that's probably too early, but I hope your right. That would be awesome.
Old 09-01-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's hope they do better than that foreign release of JB they just reviewed over at High Def Digest.
Old 12-19-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, Inglorious Basterds is out and still no announcement of any kind for these discs.
Bueller... Bueller...
Old 12-19-09, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

These will surely come out in 2010. If they don't I'll be very upset considering I already sold my DVD's in anticipation of both films being released.
Old 12-19-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Ok, Inglorious Basterds is out and still no announcement of any kind for these discs.
Bueller... Bueller...
Not to mention no sign of those Sandler Blus with Funny People.
Old 12-19-09, 10:32 PM
Suspended

Universal has postponed those Sander flicks so many times now. I really have no idea where they might show up. Perfect timing would have been with Universal's own Funny People...but who knows now.
Old 12-21-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I remember the two-disc edition of Reservoir Dogs coming out either the week before or after; but I purchased my copy of that online.
Reading this thread today got me thinking of that too. I think after the holidays I'm going to re-watch all 3 DVDs. Glad I didn't sell my PF & JB.
Old 12-21-09, 07:39 AM

I'm even gladder that I bit the bullet and ordered the Pulp Fiction BD from Denmark back in March.
Old 12-21-09, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvd_chance
I'm even gladder that I bit the bullet and ordered the Pulp Fiction BD from Denmark back in March.
Yeah me too. I just got mine today.
Old 01-28-10, 06:10 PM

FYI, you can get the Danish Pulp Fiction for ~$26 USD shipped from dvdoo.dk. Really can't beat that price, and mine arrived from Denmark in about 10 days.

http://www.dvdoo.dk/blu-ray-film/pul...ray_25537.html

Now that Mirimax has gone under, might be your best chance to get this for a while...

Last edited by Copper Blue; 01-29-10 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-28-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Any reviews of the Danish PF?
Old 01-28-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Sad news about Miramax... I hope some other studio will grab these and release them soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.