Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown thread

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Why would they make something so hard to find for most of the people who would want to buy it?
I despise WM about as much as anyone can but do you really expect anyone to take your statement/question seriously??

Walmart is the world’s largest retailer with $405 billion in sales for the fiscal year ending Jan. 31, 2010. In the U.S., Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates more than 4,300 facilities including Walmart supercenters, discount stores, Neighborhood Markets and Sam’s Club warehouses.
Old 08-01-11, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I agree. Using Walmart's store locator shows there are 20 stores in Los Angeles.
As someone who spends a decent chunk of their time in Los Angeles, there are no Wal-Marts in Los Angeles... except the one on Crenshaw, but that doesn't count as that's the ghetto.
Old 08-01-11, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
I despise WM about as much as anyone can but do you really expect anyone to take your statement/question seriously??
I actually stand by that statement. Pulp Fiction is almost 20 years old, and Jackie Brown is rather obscure to non-cinephiles. I'd wager 70% of Wal Mart shoppers on any given day have never even heard of Tarantino.
Old 08-01-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd wager 70% of Wal Mart shoppers on any given day have never even heard of Tarantino.
Actually, that number may be a little low.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/random-photos
Old 08-01-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually stand by that statement. Pulp Fiction is almost 20 years old, and Jackie Brown is rather obscure to non-cinephiles. I'd wager 70% of Wal Mart shoppers on any given day have never even heard of Tarantino.
sure except your statement had nothing to do with if the title caters to the majority of WM shopping customers

you said ....
Why would they make something so hard to find for most of the people who would want to buy it?
.... am I to assume you believe cinephiles and those that are above being regular shoppers at WM have no idea how to use their computer and other resources to find out where the product is available at ??!!

if so maybe they should be regular WM shoppers
Old 08-01-11, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
As someone who spends a decent chunk of their time in Los Angeles, there are no Wal-Marts in Los Angeles... except the one on Crenshaw, but that doesn't count as that's the ghetto.
The one in Pico Rivera very nice and clean. A lot of parking as well. The Crenshaw location is just awful and ghetto as you mentioned.
Old 08-01-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
There are no Walmarts in Boston proper either. The nearest stores are in the suburbs miles outside of town.

With that said, walmart.com will ship anywhere. So while this may be inconvenient, it's certainly not impossible to obtain a copy of the movie.
Old 08-01-11, 03:28 PM

They will also ship to Fedex Office location for free.

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Site-to-St...-FedEx/1069504
Old 08-01-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why would Wal-Mart want to carry a product you couldn't get at any of their competitors? Who are the ad wizards who came up with that one? It's one of the great mysteries of the universe.

You'd think this violates the anti-trust laws.
I think Burger King is in violation of anti-trust laws by not allowing McDonald's to sell the Whopper. Class action lawsuit anyone?

Imagine if Dark Knight 3 was only released in AMC theatres or something.
Agreed. There has never been a case where certain theater chains had exclusive rights to a exhibit a movie lest the Antitrust Police bring the hammer down. Allowing celebrities and industry members to see a movie early at a premier? Antitrust. Doing one-night-only digital screenings at a single theater chain? Antitrust. Limited release? Antitrust. Showtimes that don't run 24 hours at every possible time interval to accomodate the availability of every single consumer that would ever conceivably want to watch a movie? You better believe that's antitrust.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 08-01-11 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sure except your statement had nothing to do with if the title caters to the majority of WM shopping customers

you said ....

.... am I to assume you believe cinephiles and those that are above being regular shoppers at WM have no idea how to use their computer and other resources to find out where the product is available at ??!!

if so maybe they should be regular WM shoppers
I think that the vast majority of people, including cinephiles who would buy Pulp and Jackie Brown, don't troll around on these boards like we do and will not know about it's release until they see it sitting on a shelf. Now, if it were sitting in Best Buy, Frys, Barnes and Noble, that would catch a lot of them. But they won't see it because it won't be there. It's like the idea of taking a new David Hasselhoff record, which would sell REALLY well in Germany, and only making it available in China because the population is bigger. But I don't think the Chinese will give a shit about Hasselhoff anymore than someone browsing WM will give a shit about Jackie Brown.

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Why would Wal-Mart want to carry a product you couldn't get at any of their competitors? Who are the ad wizards who came up with that one? It's one of the great mysteries of the universe.

I think Burger King is in violation of anti-trust laws by not allowing McDonald's to sell the Whopper. Class action lawsuit anyone?

Agreed. There has never been a case where certain theater chains had exclusive rights to a exhibit a movie lest the Antitrust Police bring the hammer down. Allowing celebrities and industry members to see a movie early at a premier? Antitrust. Doing one-night-only digital screenings at a single theater chain? Antitrust. Limited release? Antitrust. Showtimes that don't run 24 hours at every possible time interval to accomodate the availability of every single consumer that would ever conceivably want to watch a movie? You better believe that's antitrust.
There was a time when the movie studios owned their own theatre chains. So, you'd go see a movie at the Paramount or the Universal or whatever, but some major court decisions ordered that the studios who produce the product may not also own the distribution. Hence they were broken up and theatres became operated by different entities. The story of movies and home video ever since has been one of the studios trying to get around this and get back to full-on ownership of the means of distribution. They're doing it by trying to kill Netflix (after it pioneers mass home streaming), so that each studio can make their stuff exclusive to their own streaming pipeline. So, in the next few years, you're going to find that you'll have to subscribe to a Paramount movie rental/streaming service, a Warner Bros. movie rental and streaming service, etc.

The store exclusivity is just a stopgap measure and just another way to acclimate consumers and lawmakers to the studios regaining total control over the distribution. They're also dying, DYING, to kill off moviegoing for the same reason.... to get those pesky theatre owner middlemen out of their hair and get around the antitrust laws through a loophole. We'll see if the government will go for it. They probably will because, unlike the era when they broke up the studio/theatre monopolies, the studios are now actually owned by the largest couple of corporations in the world, and those guys own our government. So, just watch in a few years Netflix will be suing the studios, or vice-versa, for the right to stream. Blockbuster will be gone or turned into a family-friendly Netflix Lite catering to the evangelical crowd. And the theatres will be shuttering like Borders, leaving only a few specialty establishments (like the Arclight and Imax) standing, and charging nearly $30 bucks or more per ticket. The movie industry is killing the movies.
Old 08-01-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that the vast majority of people, including cinephiles who would buy Pulp and Jackie Brown, don't troll around on these boards like we do and will not know about it's release until they see it sitting on a shelf. Now, if it were sitting in Best Buy, Frys, Barnes and Noble, that would catch a lot of them. But they won't see it because it won't be there.
the vast majority of people think Best Buy only sells consumer electronics, B&N only sells books, and Frys is something you get in a happy meal

as someone who has worked in distribution and has dealt with store exclusives I can say you don't know from what you speak
Old 08-01-11, 09:11 PM

So, in the next few years, you're going to find that you'll have to subscribe to a Paramount movie rental/streaming service, a Warner Bros. movie rental and streaming service, etc.
But I don't think anyone would ever sign up for services like that, do you?
Old 08-04-11, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

both are up for preorder for $13.99 @ the 'zon
Old 08-04-11, 02:41 AM

both are up for preorder for $13.99 @ the 'zon
The 'zon... sweeeeet. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-04-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can we make it a rule right now that no one calls it "the 'zon"?

Last edited by islandclaws; 08-04-11 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Can we make it a rule right now that no one calles it "the 'zon"?
Old 08-04-11, 12:09 PM

Haha I like it!
Old 08-04-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how about Ama
Old 08-04-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But I love my 'zon pri' membership!
Old 08-04-11, 01:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I prefer the Big Lady. And I like the big Lady's price on these.
Old 08-04-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the hell is the big lady?
Old 08-04-11, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some waitress that doesn't get tipped....
Old 08-04-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Jackie Brown is $10 at Walmart.com. Time to tell the Big Lady about a lower price.
Old 08-04-11, 08:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Wally still needs to bring down Pulp though. Its still $15.86. The Big Lady wins this one.
Old 08-05-11, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Amazon just put Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown up for pre-order, $13.99 each...This currently beats Walmart's deal if you pre-order both online from them, which is $32.26 after taxes and shipping ($15.86 for Pulp and $10.00 for JB)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.