Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Once you upgrade, what do you do with your 'old' discs?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Once you upgrade, what do you do with your 'old' discs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Once you upgrade, what do you do with your 'old' discs?

I just donated a bunch of DVDs to my local library (along with several books and old CDs that I bought remasters of).

A few were because I've upgraded them to Blu/HDDVD, most were because I just didn't see myself watching them much anymore. I'm sure there's some items I could have made some decent money on (box sets, TV sets, etc.), but basically I'm too lazy to put all that stuff on Amazon/Half/eBay, and would rather just have the library keep what they want to circulate through their branches, and then sell off whatever they're don't want/have enough copies of.

Just an alternative idea if people are wondering what to do with their older DVDs.
Old 06-30-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Generally sell them.
Old 06-30-09, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.I gave a lot of them away to my nephew. They are virtually worthless now, and not worth the hassle it would take to sell a quantity that large.

2.I don't think I iwll ever replace my current HD DVD's with the BD counterpart. Just not cost efficient considering some of the rock bottom prices I paid.
Old 06-30-09, 09:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Keep them all.

My blu-rays are playable in exactly one room on the planet (to me).

My DVDs can be played literally anywhere.

I'm more of a homebody than anyone here I imagine, but I still end up watching about half on my discs in places other than my living room (bedroom, car, work, sister's house, etc).

Plus most blu-rays don't carry over all of the special features, and I'm a completest.
Old 06-30-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i usually try to sell them. Now if a BD comes w/ a digital copy, i'm leaning towards ditching that disc and replacing it w/ the DVD.
Old 06-30-09, 09:45 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

If the BD/HD DVD does not carry over all the special features I make a copy and stick it in the case.

The DVDs I no longer need (upgrade to Blu etc) I try and sell, but if they go for less than $5, I typically sell them on Craigslist in lots. I still have yet to dump a HD DVD for a Blu-ray (and won't unless its a major PQ restoration, DD+ to DTS MA is not enough).
Old 06-30-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've kept all my laserdiscs and DVD's as I've upgraded through the years. Too much hassle to sell.
Old 06-30-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
If the special features are all on the BR, I will sell it or give it to a friend. If not, I put the DVD into a paper sleeve and insert it in the BR case.
This is what I'm starting to contemplate doing.

Out of curiousity, do you store the original DVD cases?
Old 06-30-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've given a few away to family. Back to FYE during the brown bag promotion with the rest of the lot.
Old 06-30-09, 10:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I trade the ones with decent re-sale value to FYE, and give the others to my parents.
Old 06-30-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

My girlfriend gets first crack at any of the movies I upgrade, assuming she enjoys the film.

If she doesn't, they usually go to friends who enjoy the film but don't have BD/HD players. If all else fails they get traded in.
Old 06-30-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll sell any title I upgrade that is worth $5+ but I haven't taken the time to do that since I have a few thousand DVD's to look through (one day I'll alphabetize them). If I won't get much for the DVD, I'll just keep it since I can travel with it and play on my laptop, or in my bedroom. I'm trying not to upgrade "everything" to BD though because of the expense. I can live with comedies in SD. Action/Sci-Fi I usually upgrade.

As for HD-DVD, I refuse to part with any of them. I submitted 25 to red2blu to get the BD version, but except for the few cases where the BD is superior, I will just sell those BD's. There is nothing wrong with my HD-DVD's nor my 3 HD-DVD players...
Old 06-30-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually sell upgraded DVDs, preferably before the BD is released so that I can get a decent price. If the value is too little to bother selling, I give them away, usually to my local library.

I would never buy a BD version of a title I already have on HD DVD, so I keep those, save for the ones I only wanted to watch once.

In general, I've been trying to "weed" my DVD collection of things that I don't think that I will want to watch again. Unlike some others here, there are very few unwatched DVDs in my collection. I do have a lot of unwatched BDs, but that's because I wasn't able to find a player I wanted until last month.
Old 06-30-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by matome
I've kept all my laserdiscs and DVD's as I've upgraded through the years. Too much hassle to sell.
I had about 500 laserdiscs in my collection. I started selling them off about 3-4 months before the first dvds were released. Friends who also had laserdiscs told me I was crazy. But I got good money for them. I have a friend who still has about 400 laserdiscs in his collection. He has been trying to sell them off on our local craigslists with out much success. Just a few days ago he gave it all away plus a Pioneer laserdisc player to a fellow teacher for free. He told me he always wish he had taken my advice to sale them off when I told him to.
Old 06-30-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

I probably purchased about 2700-3000 dvds since they first came out. 1500 were for my kids when they were living with their mother. In the past year I just about sold everything else first on our local craigslists and then to DvdPlanet. I just sent off my last box for a credit off $108. Most were sent in before the last 25% sale. I had a total of about $1700-$1800 in credit. I think I have about 25 dvds left.

I also at one time sold off over 200 of 250 of my hd-dvd collection. Got $7-$15 for most of them. But since prices have really come down I am back up to over 200 hd-dvds. I just brought 8 more from that trader person this week for about $27. I also picked up a A3 for $25, A2 for $30, and another A30 for $50 on out local craigslists. I almost picked up a A1 but I wasn't willing to pay the $40 asking price.

My blu-ray collection is now up to about 275-280. I buy most of them from Amazon.com Market place and been getting some greet prices from their. Lots of blu-rays for under $10 and that includes the $2.98 shipping charge.

Last edited by kahuna; 06-30-09 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's woth more than $4 I sell on half.com. Anything less than $4 isn't worth it. By the time you take out any tracking costs, travel to the PO and the cost of the envelope, why bother for $2 net. A lot of them I give to my parents. Some of the better action titles I'm keeping and my son will take them when he moves out after college. I'm also getting a bunch to send to servicemen and women. The library will also take some.

I used to buy everything which resulted in hundreds of unwatched titles. Then I DVD-r'd everything which resulted in hundreds more unwatched titles. Now I only rent Blu, watch them and mail them back. Keepers I put on my Christmas or birthday list.
Old 06-30-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I usually sell mine. I need the money - no matter how small the amount.

But if it's a REALLY small amount, I may just give a film to a friend or family member.
Old 06-30-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

I'm still red, but for those HD DVD purchases that have resulted in me having an unnecessary SD DVD, I give my father-in-law first shot at them (he's got a cabin up by Lake Ontario that he's building a small collection of movies for), and the rest I donate to my local library for a tax deduction.
Old 06-30-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So far I've sold everything except my King Kongs (for the bonus material) and Twister (because it ain't worth shit).
Old 07-01-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I'm still red, but for those HD DVD purchases that have resulted in me having an unnecessary SD DVD, I give my father-in-law first shot at them (he's got a cabin up by Lake Ontario that he's building a small collection of movies for), and the rest I donate to my local library for a tax deduction.
Do you get MSRP for the tax deduction? If so, that's a great idea for some titles truly worthless...
Old 07-01-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Depends on the title. If it is something my parents or brother wants, I give it to them. If they aren't interested in it, I sell it to my local FYE.

I also re-gift (to non-family) if the situation warrants as well.
Old 07-01-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
I also re-gift (to non-family) if the situation warrants as well.
Oh Macnorton, that was so nice of you to give me this open DVD with the fingerprints and scratches all over it for my birthday. My my it's an original non-anamorphic, Dolby 2.0 flipper disc to boot. Boy I must really be special.

Old 07-04-09, 04:11 AM

Ive yet to have upgraded to blu-ray however if I happen to re-buy a movie on DVD that I already own on VHS I normally give the tape away to my Grandparents, sell it online or just store it in my basement. Same thing applys If I happen to upgrade to a special edition print over a single-disc.
Old 07-04-09, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Oh Macnorton, that was so nice of you to give me this open DVD with the fingerprints and scratches all over it for my birthday. My my it's an original non-anamorphic, Dolby 2.0 flipper disc to boot. Boy I must really be special.

Thanks Jim, that one gave me a good laugh.

In all seriousness though, I think I had a total of 5 non-anamorphic discs in my collection (outside of a few Criterions). But also, up until about a year ago I was the only one in my family (sans my uncle who is a techno geek like me) who had a HDTV, so trust me, they wouldn't even notice (or even know what the term anamorphic means for that matter).

But still, thanks for the laugh.
Old 07-04-09, 10:46 AM

I sell em.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.