Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-22, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

I think the more important issue here is whether anyone has ever heard of the Hong Kong classic EXFERNAL AFFAIRS. Kid ya not. And yes, I spelled it right.
Old 06-16-22, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
I think the more important issue here is whether anyone has ever heard of the Hong Kong classic EXFERNAL AFFAIRS. Kid ya not. And yes, I spelled it right.
Just out of curiosity, BT, what was the "Category" of this film?
Old 06-16-22, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Holy shit on Exotica. The collection was sorely lacking Canadian films outside of Cronenberg and Maddin.

They should try and release The Sweet Hereafter, Felicia's Journey and The Adjuster as well.
Old 06-17-22, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Holy shit on Exotica. The collection was sorely lacking Canadian films outside of Cronenberg and Maddin.

They should try and release The Sweet Hereafter, Felicia's Journey and The Adjuster as well.
C.R.A.Z.Y, Mommy and some Denys Arcand would be nice too.
Old 06-17-22, 07:00 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I saw recently that C.R.A.Z.Y. finally got released in the US. via Samuel Goldwyn Films. It doesn't seem like that company releases a lot on physical media. Would be nice if it could be licensed.
Old 06-17-22, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Yes, as well as Last Night, 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould, The Red Violin, New Waterford Girl and Away From Her.
Old 06-17-22, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Yes, as well as Last Night, 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould, The Red Violin, New Waterford Girl and Away From Her.
And Strange Brew. Nothing more Canuck then that flick.
The following 2 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
Brian T (06-17-22), John Pannozzi (06-20-22)
Old 06-17-22, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paff
Just out of curiosity, BT, what was the "Category" of this film?
Can't remember the category, but most likely in the Category II range. Despite the 'sound' of the title and Lily Chung in the cast, it's not a Category III picture. Don't have my review in front of me, but I recall it was more of a no-budget crime picture. It was an early role for Xing Yu, who eventually carved out a modest career for himself in action and martial arts pictures. In fact, his fight scenes in EXFERNAL AFFAIRS – which was directed by Philip Ko Fei – are pretty decent as I recall, for such a low budget movie. I'm sure it's near-impossible to find now. Might've only been on VCD to boot. I've got so many titles like this one, which is great, but there are hundreds of others that I never got my hands on and now the prices are insane.
The collection was sorely lacking Canadian films outside of Cronenberg and Maddin.
Would love to see folks like Bruce MacDonald, Deepa Mehta, Denis Villeneuve (earlier works) and Jennifer Baichwal represented in some way. But alas . . .

And don't forget the Allan King documentaries in the Eclipse series. Some really good stuff there. In fact, the Eclipse line – which I'm assuming is discontinued now? – might've been a good place to package together a few surviving vintage Canadian films from the 60's or 70's which could be supplemented well enough by essays on the insides of the sleeves.

Personally, I think we're producing better cinema up here than ever before, but as always it rarely gains traction outside of the festival circuit. I'd hope that newer movies like NIGHT RAIDERS, BEANS, SUBJECTS OF DESIRE, POSSESSOR (from that other Cronenberg) and SCARBOROUGH might one day be worthy of Criterion, but I suppose that depends on the trajectories of their makers' careers. Seems all too common in this country to make a splash with one feature film, then spend the rest of your days cranking out TV shows to pay the bills. Thus, the features don't seem to retain the "importance" required for Criterion membership.

TIFF 'Canada's Top Ten' 2021
https://tiff.net/canadas-top-ten/?tab=features

To STRANGE BREW, I'd add Michael Dowse's FUBAR movies :
Spoiler:
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian T:
andicus (06-17-22), John Pannozzi (06-20-22)
Old 06-17-22, 10:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Also a Gary Burns set would be cool.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (06-17-22)
Old 06-17-22, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
And Strange Brew. Nothing more Canuck then that flick.
Literally. I found the origin of the Bob and Doug MacKenzie characters to be very amusing. Don't know if you ever heard this, but apparently the Canadian government, which helped produce the SCTV show, complained there wasn't enough "Canadian content" in the show, despite being 100% made in Canada with nothing but a Canadian cast. So Moranis and Thomas decided, if you want Canadian content, we'll give you Canadian content. And Bob and Doug were created.
Old 06-17-22, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And "Take off, eh!" would – for a time – become a common phrase heard across the land! And "hoser", of course.

And the song was pretty cool, too. If only it was used in the movie – just imagine that playing under a Criterion menu!
Old 06-17-22, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Yes, many first-rate Canadian films were never released on DVD, much less Blu-ray.
Brian T (06-17-22)
Old 06-17-22, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I would love Infernal Affairs in 4K. The movie is over 20 years old now, but it’s one of the best cop thrillers I have ever seen.

I didn’t mind 2 as that was a prequel. But yeah I recall 3 was so unnecessary. The one thing I do recall about part 2 is Tony Leung’s then girlfriend is pretty hot. I think they’re married now. She was like some gangster’s wife who Edison Chen (younger Andy Lau) had the hots for.

I have all 3 movies on region 3 DVD still as I also have the special edited together long movie by timeline.
I'd would absolutely love a 4K release of the Infernal Affairs Trilogy. Part 1 is one of my all-time favorite films.

I saw some Physical Media accounts on Twitter post that the first film was coming to 4K but there weren't any links to what distributor was releasing it. Might have been a response to a listing somewhere?

Many years ago, I found a copy of that Limited Edition Infernal Affairs DVD set at Amoeba Music in Hollywood, for around $30.

Unfortunately, the case that houses the films was broken into quite a few pieces. I'm still after a mint copy of that set, namely for the Chronological Cut that you mentioned.
Old 06-18-22, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Many years ago, I found a copy of that Limited Edition Infernal Affairs DVD set at Amoeba Music in Hollywood, for around $30.

Unfortunately, the case that houses the films was broken into quite a few pieces. I'm still after a mint copy of that set, namely for the Chronological Cut that you mentioned.
The trick is also finding one with the complete outer box, which IMO is part of the box set packaging.

https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/u...l-affairs-dvd/
Old 06-20-22, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The trick is also finding one with the complete outer box, which IMO is part of the box set packaging.

https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/u...l-affairs-dvd/
The one I mentioned finding at Amoeba Music had the outer box!

There's a few right now on Ebay that have the outer box but they are a bit more than I'm willing to pay currently
Old 06-20-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

E Unit (06-20-22)
Old 06-20-22, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

That's a good one.

I never replaced my old non-anamorphic DVD with the cheap $10 blu-ray release from Lionsgate, which went out of print was selling in the $100 range in the aftermarket.
Old 06-20-22, 02:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I'm still after a mint copy of that set, namely for the Chronological Cut that you mentioned.
I'm actually surprised no one has rebuilt the same cut using the blu-ray copies instead of the standard def DVD... or... maybe they have... I just haven't seen it anywhere.
asianxcore (06-21-22)
Old 06-20-22, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Wow, Egoyan’s Exotica! That’s pretty damn great seeing this film get some love.
I saw Exotica at a local "second or third run" theater back when it came out. I rolled the dice on it and was just blown away. First time I heard the Leonard Cohen song "Everybody Knows" which has been used in a lot of films since. Thrilled to see this coming from Criterion.
The following 2 users liked this post by DWilson:
E Unit (06-20-22), PhantomStranger (06-20-22)
Old 06-21-22, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Old 06-21-22, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

I remember being kind of excited for Velvet Goldmine at the time it was released, and walking away perplexed at how it was even possible for someone to make a movie about glam-rock that was so utterly tedious and uninteresting.
Toddarino (06-22-22)
Old 06-25-22, 08:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So is there any official date in July for the start of the Barnes & Noble Criterion sale?
Old 06-25-22, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I read it’ll start on July 1st
Master O (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 09:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I remember being kind of excited for Velvet Goldmine at the time it was released, and walking away perplexed at how it was even possible for someone to make a movie about glam-rock that was so utterly tedious and uninteresting.
I was the exact opposite. I didn’t think I’d be into any type of glam-rock movie, but I really liked it. This also was one of the first movies I built when I started at the Dobie Theater in Austin back in 1998.
Old 06-26-22, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Velvet Goldmine is one of those movies that fascinates me. I'm not sure if it's a particularly good movie, but it has so many things going and so many references that watching it almost like piecing together a puzzle: The Citizen Kane-ish structure, the Oscar Wilde references, the fictionalized biography of David Bowie that blurs the line between Bowie himself, his stage personas, and his music, the fact that's it's actually a blink-and-you'll-miss-it science fiction movie, taking place in a sort of dystopian parallel universe that's based on both George Orwell's 1984 and Bowie's Diamond Dogs album, and weaved with themes about sexuality, identity, and the nature of art and popular culture.

It's like Wim Wenders' Until the End of the World in that way. Technically boring, tedious, and pretentious, but still fascinating.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.