Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

I've actually bought Criterions (DVD and Blu) at a greater rate in the past year, than I have in the previous 14 or so years of the DVD format.

I've offloaded many titles I really had no use for, and I figured I could broaden my interests a bit, class up the joint a bit if you will.
Old 10-24-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a tweet from Criterion that just said.. "In a word, KUBRICK" with the "Kubrick" title card that looks like it's from Eyes Wide Shut... hmmm. Any idea what they're up to?
Old 10-24-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Spartacus? They seem to have a good relationship with Universal, and the film could use a new transfer.
Old 10-24-12, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with Spartacus as well. Though it is in the big Eyes Wide Shut font.
Old 10-24-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought of Spartacus, too, since they have a history with that film and I'd love that since I was avoiding the apparently bad transfer of the current bluray.

BUT, while Spartacus was technically "directed by" Kubrick, I hardly think of it as a real "Stanley Kubrick film" because of how little creative control he had over it (he apparently didn't like the outcome much), so I can't help but fantasize that they'll go nuts on some of his other films. Would flip for that Eyes Wide Shut commentary track from Sidney Pollack that was promised on all the promotional materials for a Kubrick Collection several years ago. Always wondered what happened to that, especially now that he's gone... mysterious...
Old 10-25-12, 12:34 AM
Banned

I hate Spartacus. Eyes Wide Shut Please.
Old 10-25-12, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

WB seems to be fairly protective of their Kubrick titles, re-releasing ACO and FMJ on anniversary Digibooks. Could see them doing the same with 2001 and EWS in '13 and '14, vice leasing to CC.
Old 10-25-12, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spartacus would be awesome, I dont hate the current release but it could obviously be improved.
Old 10-25-12, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Outside of Lolita, Barry Lyndon, Strangelove, The Killing/Killer's Kiss and the Clockwork digibook, I own the other Kubrick's on HD-DVD, so I'd love Criterion to give me a reason to make a worthy HD-DVD to Blu double-dip. I won't just pay to swap out one HD disc for another without some sort of technical or supplemental improvement.
Old 10-25-12, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hope it's SPARTACUS...not sure what could really be added to warner's EWS release.
Old 10-25-12, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
I hate Spartacus. Eyes Wide Shut Please.
Hate's a strong word for Spartacus, but it's far from the ponderous quality of later work like EWS, which I too prefer. So I hope it is a hint of a Criterion version of that film.
Old 10-25-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn
BUT, while Spartacus was technically "directed by" Kubrick, I hardly think of it as a real "Stanley Kubrick film" because of how little creative control he had over it (he apparently didn't like the outcome much), so I can't help but fantasize that they'll go nuts on some of his other films.
This. For the sake of Spartacus, I think there does need to be a better disc of it on the market. However, for my own selfish purposes, give me something like a brand new 8K scan of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

In any case, more Kubrick Blu-ray from Criterion is pretty much a no-lose situation.
Old 10-25-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And speaking of Kubrick re-releases (if you'll permit a momentary tangent), has anyone seen any reviews of the newly-released (October 16th) A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket "Special Edition" releases yet? I know I'm dreaming, hoping for new transfers and/or encodes, but I'd still like some verification.
Old 10-25-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
WB seems to be fairly protective of their Kubrick titles, re-releasing ACO and FMJ on anniversary Digibooks. Could see them doing the same with 2001 and EWS in '13 and '14, vice leasing to CC.
That's the thing. Warner doesn't license their titles out; heck, they're even taking on some of Paramount's titles now. And the Kubrick films in particular seem to have become cash cows for them. It seems highly unlikely that it could be EWS, but we'll see.
Old 10-25-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
That's the thing. Warner doesn't license their titles out; heck, they're even taking on some of Paramount's titles now. And the Kubrick films in particular seem to have become cash cows for them. It seems highly unlikely that it could be EWS, but we'll see.
I agree. I know that Criterion and Warner Bros. have made a deal (hence Badlands) that does involve multiple films, but I REALLY doubt that it would involve Warner giving away one of their Kubrick films...
Old 10-25-12, 11:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with what Lamphorn said. The Twitter post shows the word Kubrick in the same font as on eyes Wide Shut.

Spoiler:

Old 10-25-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hated EWS when I saw it back in the day but I'm willing to give it another chance. I would prefer Spartacus.
Old 10-25-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That typeface, Futura, was Kubrick's favorite. I doubt very much that it means anything more than that.

Given the reasons already posted, it makes sense that Criterion would re-release "Spartacus", and not one of the WB-controlled titles.
Old 10-25-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by applesandrice
That typeface, Futura, was Kubrick's favorite. I doubt very much that it means anything more than that.

Given the reasons already posted, it makes sense that Criterion would re-release "Spartacus", and not one of the WB-controlled titles.
Agreed. Spartacus seems the most likely candidate. Less likely, but still seemingly possible would be Sony licensing Strangelove to Criterion. It seems virtually impossible that WB would license any of its Kubrick titles to Criterion. I wouldn't mind being wrong though.
Old 10-25-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
but still seemingly possible would be Sony licensing Strangelove to Criterion.
I'm not sure what the point would be of that; the current Strangelove Blu-Ray has pretty good audio and picture, plus lots of great supplements (just wish they had included the excellent trailer).

My guess? Two-disc special edition of The Seafarers; you can bank on it.
Old 10-25-12, 08:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Spartacus? They seem to have a good relationship with Universal, and the film could use a new transfer.
... a new proper 65mm tranfer is absolutely paramount to Universal's problematic bluray edition.
Old 10-26-12, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
I hated EWS when I saw it back in the day but I'm willing to give it another chance. I would prefer Spartacus.
If you only saw EWS once, you haven't seen it enough times. I remember when I first saw it, I was puzzled but still liked it. I've seen it more than 20 times since and wrote a couple of papers for my Master's degree, read the Schnitzler book and even presented on the film at an academic film conference.

Last edited by slowcloud; 10-26-12 at 04:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-26-12, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
My guess? Two-disc special edition of The Seafarers; you can bank on it.
lol, the 30-minute documentary on the Seafarers International Union available on the new Fear and Desire disc by Kino?
Old 10-26-12, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
And speaking of Kubrick re-releases (if you'll permit a momentary tangent), has anyone seen any reviews of the newly-released (October 16th) A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket "Special Edition" releases yet? I know I'm dreaming, hoping for new transfers and/or encodes, but I'd still like some verification.
I seem to recall reading on another thread that these are the same as the single discs with extra documentaries as second discs.
Old 10-26-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slowcloud
I seem to recall reading on another thread that these are the same as the single discs with extra documentaries as second discs.
Thanks!

Full speculation mode: I wonder if these are actually standard-packaged versions of the Digibook editions from last year.

Last edited by Doctorossi; 10-26-12 at 08:19 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.