Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 08:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 929 Likes on 779 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Looking forward to this. Never did catch it. All 5’s at Blu-ray.com. Lots of interviews and 1.5 hr making of...

Old 07-14-20, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,229 Likes on 4,251 Posts

Gotta say, the packaging on the Bruce Lee set is very disappointing. A fold-out digipack. Better than Alien Quadrilogy but still not what I expect from Criterion. And such a tiny, flimsy booklet? For $125 (list), I expected a more elaborate presentation.

Old 07-14-20, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Gotta say, the packaging on the Bruce Lee set is very disappointing. A fold-out digipack. Better than Alien Quadrilogy but still not what I expect from Criterion. And such a tiny, flimsy booklet? For $125 (list), I expected a more elaborate presentation.
That's disappointing. What's the deal with Bruce Lee sets having bad packaging? The Shout! Legacy Collection was garbage too, at least the way the discs were housed. I made custom Blu-ray covers for those so I could keep the discs in regular cases. I might have to do the same when I get the Criterion set.
Old 07-15-20, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,414 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I thought the Bruce packaging looked nice, and the magazine style book was cool, but the main box itself seems flimsy. I know it will stay on the shelf most of the time, but I hate the thought of it getting dinged up.
Old 07-15-20, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

October Criterion Releases

Parasite
Claudine
The Gunfighter
Pierrot Le Fou
Old 07-15-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

^The Claudine with James Earl Jones?
Old 07-15-20, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I wish that Criterion would once in a while use the original theatrical poster art, even though I realize they have to do something to separate most of their releases from earlier studio editions. Not fond of that morse code title overlay for Parasite. I get how it relates to the film, but the original poster was ideal. Still, the supplements look pretty solid.

• New 4K digital master, approved by director Bong Joon Ho and director of photography Hong Kyung Pyo, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New audio commentary featuring Bong and critic Tony Rayns
  • Black-and-white version of the film with a new introduction by Bong, and Dolby Atmos soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between Bong and critic Darcy Paquet
  • New interviews with Hong, production designer Lee Ha Jun, and editor Yang Jinmo
  • New program about the New Korean Cinema movement featuring Bong and filmmaker Park Chan Wook (Oldboy)
  • Cannes Film Festival press conference from 2019 featuring Bong and members of the cast
  • Master class featuring Bong from the 2019 Lumière Festival in Lyon, France
  • Storyboard comparison
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Inkoo Kang
Old 07-15-20, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,660 Likes on 2,628 Posts

OldBoy's going to have an erection after reading those Parasite extras.

Old 07-15-20, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 990 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Then he'll ask you to order it for him and when he gets it he'll never actually watch any of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
Brian T (07-15-20), DJariya (07-15-20)
Old 07-15-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Then he'll ask you to order it for him and when he gets it he'll never actually watch any of them.
very true
Old 07-15-20, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^The Claudine with James Earl Jones?
Yep, that Claudine...I'm psyched about that.
Old 07-15-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,229 Likes on 4,251 Posts

How does the audio commentary work? Korean with subtitles?
Old 07-15-20, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker
How does the audio commentary work? Korean with subtitles?
He's with an American film critic. So he's probably the moderator and they will probably have a translator with them.

Or the critic talks on his own and then Bong speaks about it edited in with subtitles.
Old 07-15-20, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Bong shifts between English and Korean in many of his interviews. His English is good, but obviously he expresses ideas better in Korean. Ideally, this track would just be fully subtitled in English (even when he's speaking it, for those who have a hard time with accents), but leave out the translator as the time required to repeat what was said would be better spent discussing the film. That said, I do hope his go-to translator, Sharon Choi, appears somewhere on the disc, as she developed quite a devoted following of her own last year thanks to her speed, dexterity and all-around charm.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...uteurs-a-voice
https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainme...r-sharon-choi/
https://www.looper.com/188009/the-tr...or-sharon-choi

Last edited by Brian T; 07-15-20 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-15-20, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

It's unclear to me if Pierrot le fou has been updated or is just a reissue of the prior Criterion disc from 2009. Criterion claims a "new 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray," but of course Criterion is frequently very loose with their use of the word "new." If it were really remastered, wouldn't they have it done in 4K? The supplements appear to be identical to the old disc.
Old 07-15-20, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
It's unclear to me if Pierrot le fou has been updated or is just a reissue of the prior Criterion disc from 2009. Criterion claims a "new 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray," but of course Criterion is frequently very loose with their use of the word "new." If it were really remastered, wouldn't they have it done in 4K? The supplements appear to be identical to the old disc.
They would not have changed the artwork if this wasn't considered an "upgrade". For example, Army of Shadows, the other studio Canal title to return, was more or less a straight rerelease with the same art.

As for 4k vs 2k, I thought at one point all in house Criterion scans were done in 2k. If it was 4k, then that meant they sourced it from elsewhere. I don't know if this is one of their in house jobs, but that might explain it.
Old 07-15-20, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm psyched about the release of Parasite having the Black & White version. I initially was kicking myself for missing out on the Zaavi Steelbook for that reason. Not anymore!

Already have the standard BD & the 4K UHD. Can't wait to get this!
Old 07-15-20, 06:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 929 Likes on 779 Posts

very true
hey, c’mon. That’s low blow fellas. True, but still. I have feelings too ya know.
And holy fuck a convo with Chan-wook Park!!! This is going to be my second favorite October release!!! The Friday 13th set for Real 3D, UR Jason Goes to Hell and hopefully so much more. I dunno, maybe it’ll be a toss up. But I will definitely make this a priority and revisit sooner rather than later. Friday’s too...
Old 07-15-20, 08:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The original disc, which I have, says it was an HD digital transfer from the 35mm negative. Could be there was a 2K version in the mix at the time, but it does sound like it's "new."
Old 07-15-20, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

If I hadn't picked up the Parasite UHD cheap in a Target sale recently, this would be the first month in maybe ever that I could say "Wow! Every single title will be a pick up next sale".

Very much looking forward to Claudine and The Hit.
Old 07-15-20, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Criterion looks really bad here. They can tack on as many extras onto the Parasite BD as they want, but the video quality can't compare to the UHD-BD - which is cheaper to boot.
The following users liked this post:
Cartload (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Criterion looks really bad here. They can tack on as many extras onto the Parasite BD as they want, but the video quality can't compare to the UHD-BD - which is cheaper to boot.
Agreed. Ultimately it comes down to the presentation of the actual film itself and Criterion comes up short here.
Old 07-16-20, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
That's disappointing. What's the deal with Bruce Lee sets having bad packaging? The Shout! Legacy Collection was garbage too, at least the way the discs were housed. I made custom Blu-ray covers for those so I could keep the discs in regular cases. I might have to do the same when I get the Criterion set.
Not a fan of the stacked discs either considering that these are all unique films and not parts of a series.
Old 07-16-20, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

They would not have changed the artwork if this wasn't considered an "upgrade". For example, Army of Shadows, the other studio Canal title to return, was more or less a straight rerelease with the same art.

As for 4k vs 2k, I thought at one point all in house Criterion scans were done in 2k. If it was 4k, then that meant they sourced it from elsewhere. I don't know if this is one of their in house jobs, but that might explain it.
Originally Posted by Dan
The original disc, which I have, says it was an HD digital transfer from the 35mm negative. Could be there was a 2K version in the mix at the time, but it does sound like it's "new."
I'm not convinced, sorry. "HD" transfers generally actually mean 2k, and the prior Blu-ray already looked excellent. There was nothing wrong with it that begged for a restoration or remaster unless the license holder wanted to go to the effort of preserving/archiving it in 4k. And given that the license holder in this case is Studio Canal, which has been making an aggressive push in recent years to upgrade its catalog to 4k (often with underwhelming results, but that's a separate discussion), I don't see why they or Criterion would choose to re-scan this one now only in 2k.

I think it most likely that Pierrot is just a reissue of the disc from 2009.
Old 07-16-20, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HD transfer usually means 1080p. I know that's pretty close to 2k, but it's the verbiage they've always used.

​​Edit to add: the original release also apparently had some issues with tinting filters that presumably will be corrected.

Last edited by rocket1312; 07-16-20 at 11:07 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.