Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

It would only make sense for criterion to release Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, if Before Midnight was released too as a box set. In fact a Before trilogy box set is probably my number one most fantasized release Criterion could put together right now, aside from McCabe & Mrs Miller.
Old 12-01-14, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
It would only make sense for criterion to release Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, if Before Midnight was released too as a box set. In fact a Before trilogy box set is probably my number one most fantasized release Criterion could put together right now, aside from McCabe & Mrs Miller.
Well... they do have a thing w/ Sony. it COULD happen. Dunno if it would but anything is possible w/ CC's relationship w/ Sony and WB right now. I haven't gotten any of the Before films yet... but I am going to pay attention to what CC does right now w/ their WB and Sony films.
Old 12-01-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

And if Sony plays hard ball they will just release the film's individually until they can get the rights to all three and THEN get the completist's money down the road. Your money.

Btw, the ending of Before Sunset to Celine's playful impersonation of Nina Simone while her recording of "Just In Time" is playing is one of my favorite romantic scenes in film.
Old 12-01-14, 11:18 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Btw, the ending of Before Sunset to Celine's playful impersonation of Nina Simone while her recording of "Just In Time" is playing is one of my favorite romantic scenes in film.

I only saw the film for the first time this year (I know, I know), but yeah. Wonderful scene/ending.
Old 12-01-14, 11:31 AM
Banned

I've never seen any of them. But I know that I'd like them.
Old 12-01-14, 03:01 PM
Banned

Just saw the Y Tu Mama Tambien BD. FUUUUUUCK. It is a really good looking image.

Seeing Maribel Verdu during that song at the beach bar is so fucking hot. Especially w/ that song in the background. She just looks at the camera and it is fucking mystifying to me.
Old 12-01-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

McCabe & Mrs Miller has already been licensed and will sport a new 4K transfer.
Old 12-02-14, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Wow, great news.
Old 12-02-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
sorry if this is what you were already implying, but by Criterion?
Old 12-02-14, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Criterion's in-house transfers are only 2K, so it's probably outsourced in some fashion.
Old 12-02-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

I know that Criterion recently posted a photo of Vilmos Zsigmond working with one of their colorists, but I didn't think there had been any definitive word that McCabe and Mrs. Miller was what he was working on. Did I miss something?
Old 12-02-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Ignore what I just said and wait until 2015 for an announcement...
Old 12-04-14, 05:26 AM
Banned

....?
Old 12-04-14, 09:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

edit: joke's over, since the post is gone.

Last edited by Dan; 12-04-14 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-04-14, 01:58 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468

Again, the Lewton set is great, and I wish the whole set would be upgraded to Blu (although I wouldn't be surprised if Cat People was the first one to be released, regardless of whom releases it, just due to its popularity compared to the other Lewton films).
One 73 minute film on a blu ray seems wasteful when the whole cycle of Lewton films are so good. Hopefully we will see more than just Cat People. Frankly I'd like to see a COMPLETE Lewton box set that includes his non-horror films that are hard to see and always left out: Mademoiselle Fifi and Youth Gone Wild.
Old 12-05-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I keep seeing Tootsie listed as rated R at various websites. Is this a different cut being released than what was released theatrically? I could've sworn it was PG?
Old 12-06-14, 01:58 AM

I believe that it was originally rated R but then given a PG after Sydney Pollack appealed.
Old 12-15-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

March titles have been announced:

#749: The Soft Skin

François Truffaut followed up the international phenomenon Jules and Jim with this tense tale of infidelity. The unassuming Jean Desailly is perfectly cast as a celebrated literary scholar, seemingly happily married, who embarks on an affair with a gorgeous stewardess, played by Françoise Dorléac, who is captivated by his charm and reputation. As their romance gets serious, the film grows anxious, leading to a wallop of a conclusion. Truffaut made The Soft Skin at a time when he was immersing himself in the work of Alfred Hitchcock, and that master’s influence can be felt throughout this complex, insightful, under seen French New Wave treasure.

-New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-Audio commentary by screenwriter Jean-Louis Richard and François Truffaut scholar Serge Toubiana
-New video essay by filmmaker and critic Kent Jones
-Interview with Truffaut from 1965 about the film
-New English subtitle translation
-PLUS: An essay by critic Molly Haskell

#750: Ride The Pink Horse

Hollywood actor turned idiosyncratic auteur Robert Montgomery directs and stars in this striking crime drama based on a novel by Dorothy B. Hughes. He plays a tough-talking former GI who comes to a small New Mexico town to shake down a gangster who killed his best friend; things quickly turn nasty. Ride the Pink Horse features standout supporting performances from Fred Clark, Wanda Hendrix, and especially Thomas Gomez, who became the first Hispanic actor to receive an Academy Award nomination for his role here. With its relentless pace, expressive cinematography by the great Russell Metty, and punchy, clever script by Charles Lederer and Ben Hecht, this is an overlooked treasure from the heyday of 1940s film noir.

-New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-Audio commentary featuring film noir historians Alain Silver and James Ursini
-New interview with Imogen Sara Smith, author of In Lonely Places: Film Noir Beyond the City
-Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of the film from 1947, featuring Robert Montgomery, Wanda Hendrix, and Thomas Gomez
-PLUS: An essay by filmmaker and writer Michael Almereyda

#751/752: Gates Of Heaven/Vernon, Florida

With his trademark mixture of empathy and scrutiny, Errol Morris has changed the face of documentary filmmaking in the United States, and his career began with two remarkable tales of American eccentricity: Gates of Heaven and Vernon, Florida. The first uses two Southern California pet cemeteries as the bases for a profound and funny rumination on love, loss, and industry; the second travels to a languorous southern backwater and meets a handful of fascinating folks—a determined turkey hunter, a curious minister, a laconic policeman—engaged in individualistic, sometimes absurd pursuits. Morris consistently creates humane portraits of true candor, and these early works remain two of his greatest and most provocative films.

-New 2K digital restorations of both films, supervised by director Errol Morris, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
-New interviews with Morris
-Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe (1980), a twenty-minute film by Les Blank featuring Herzog fulfilling a bet intended to inspire Morris to complete his first feature
-Footage of Herzog professing his admiration for Gates of Heaven at the 1980 Telluride Film Festival
-PLUS: An essay by critic Eric Hynes

753: The Thin Blue Line

Among the most important documentaries ever made, The Thin Blue Line, by Errol Morris, erases the border between art and activism. A work of meticulous journalism and gripping drama, it recounts the disturbing tale of Randall Adams, a drifter who was charged with the murder of a Dallas police officer and sent to death row, despite overwhelming evidence that he did not commit the crime. Incorporating stylized reenactments, penetrating interviews, and haunting original music by Philip Glass, Morris uses cinema to build a case forensically while effortlessly entertaining his viewers. The Thin Blue Line effected real-world change, proving film’s power beyond the shadow of a doubt.

-New high-definition digital restoration, supervised by director Errol Morris and producer Mark Lipson, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-New interview with Morris
-New interview with filmmaker Joshua Oppenheimer (The Act of Killing)
-NBC report from 1989 covering Randall Adams’s release from prison
-PLUS: An essay by film scholar Charles Musser

Plus, both Cries And Whispers and Hoop Dreams are getting Blu-Ray upgrades, with the following artwork:

Old 12-15-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Ride The Pink Horse is a noir that's been highly requested for years now. Not sure if it ever made it to MOD, but there will definitely be a lot of people happy to pick it up on Blu.
Can't remember too much about it when I saw it about 25 years ago- back in the days when AMC not only used to be only classic movies, but commercial free too.

I'll look forward to giving it a second look though.
Old 12-16-14, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

in for the forgotten noir and Cries and Whispers (which should look brilliant in blu). Already have the AE version of The Soft Skin coming as part of the Truffaut boxset.
Old 12-16-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a good month for documentaries. I'll buy the individual releases but would have loved an Errol Morris box set.
Old 12-16-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

In case anyone's questioning the upgrade of Hoop Dreams (which was shot in SD video) to blu-ray, here's a screenshot comparison comparing the original release to the 20th anniversary restoration that recently made the rounds.

http://blog.criterioncast.com/post/8...storation-from
Old 12-16-14, 11:48 AM
Banned

Wow.
Old 12-16-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice...looks promising. When I saw CC's posting yesterday I actually assumed Hoop Dreams was just going to be able for streaming, not actually getting a Blu upgrade. The new 4.0 mix and catch-up documentary sound good, too.
Old 12-16-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Only Cries And Whispers for me... will wait for the next BN 50% sale to purchase.

I have to say, the artwork is pretty ugly. While the original Criterion artwork wasn't great, it's still much better than this new one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.