HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Has Terminator 3 Been Fixed?

Old 05-10-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has Terminator 3 Been Fixed?

I've noticed that T3 has been reissued to stores and it's $16.99 at Best Buy this week. I'd like to know if it's 1080p now or if it's still 1080i
Old 05-10-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Has Terminator 3 Been Fixed?

The new pressings are 1080p.
Old 05-10-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup. I grabbed it at Best Buy this morning and it's 1080p. If you want to be sure the corrected version's bar code is 883929016938.

Last edited by DarthMarino; 05-10-09 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-10-09, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by DarthMarino View Post
Yup. I grabbed it at Best Buy this morning and it's 1080p. If you want to be sure the corrected version's bar code is 883929016939.
You sure it isn't 883929016938? The UPC you give can't be found on Amazon.
Old 05-10-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah I just picked it up and it's 883929016938 also
Old 05-10-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl View Post
You sure it isn't 883929016938? The UPC you give can't be found on Amazon.
Yeah, sorry. I fixed my original post. The old 1080i version is 085391186304.
Old 05-10-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, it's still a bad movie.

Sorry, I couldn't resist... I actually enjoy T3
Old 05-10-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also picked it up today and looks good. Too bad the audio isnt louder but it will do for the price.
Old 05-11-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For $16.99 I may have to grab this one. It's not nearly as bad as people claim, even though it's far out of league with T1 and T2.
Old 05-11-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember with the WS DVD there were extra cropping issues with nudity. Was this fixed with the Blu Ray?
Old 05-11-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
I remember with the WS DVD there were extra cropping issues with nudity. Was this fixed with the Blu Ray?
The framing looks the same on the Blu Ray.
Old 05-11-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm pretty sure they reissued corrected versions over a year ago. I don't know why they re-issued it again, but I remember going and buying the corrected version several months back, using a specific UPC.
Old 05-12-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was nothing to "fix". The movie was shot on Super 35, which has extranenous picture information at the top and bottom of the camera negative. The movie was composed to be matted to 2.35:1 in theaters and home video. The DVD and Blu-ray are properly framed.

Some cable networks aired an "open matte" transfer that exposes extra picture to fill the TV screen. This happens to literally thousands of movies, but that absolutely does not mean that the extra picture was ever meant to be seen. However, in T3, there's one shot where the open matte transfer shows a little more of Kristanna Loken's cleavage, which got fanboys drooling and demanding that the studio "correct" the home video versions to show more of her sweet, sweet flesh.

There's nothing wrong with the aspect ratio on either the DVD or Blu-ray. The framing is correct.
Old 05-12-09, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
There was nothing to "fix". The movie was shot on Super 35, which has extranenous picture information at the top and bottom of the camera negative. The movie was composed to be matted to 2.35:1 in theaters and home video. The DVD and Blu-ray are properly framed.

Some cable networks aired an "open matte" transfer that exposes extra picture to fill the TV screen. This happens to literally thousands of movies, but that absolutely does not mean that the extra picture was ever meant to be seen. However, in T3, there's one shot where the open matte transfer shows a little more of Kristanna Loken's cleavage, which got fanboys drooling and demanding that the studio "correct" the home video versions to show more of her sweet, sweet flesh.

There's nothing wrong with the aspect ratio on either the DVD or Blu-ray. The framing is correct.
I understand that. But I remember there were reports that the movie theater showed more skin than the DVD.
Old 05-12-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I understand that. But I remember there were reports that the movie theater showed more skin than the DVD.
What Josh Z is saying is that when a film is shot "open matte" for a widescreen framing, the film frame in theaters is sometimes not hard-matted, i.e. it presents a square picture, and it is thusly up to the theater projectionist to frame the film correctly so that the right parts are matted. If the film is not framed right by the projectionist, you will see other parts of the full square image -- which may include "extra" nudity -- you're not meant to see. It's not that the "extra" nudity has been cut out from the DVD and Blu-Ray, but the home video presentations are, of course, hard-matted widescreen and you won't get the possibility of seeing that extra image on the top and bottom.
Old 05-13-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unsubstantiated reports and false memories, undoubtedly.

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
What Josh Z is saying is that when a film is shot "open matte" for a widescreen framing, the film frame in theaters is sometimes not hard-matted, i.e. it presents a square picture, and it is thusly up to the theater projectionist to frame the film correctly so that the right parts are matted. If the film is not framed right by the projectionist, you will see other parts of the full square image -- which may include "extra" nudity -- you're not meant to see.
True of 1.85:1 movies (I've seen my share with boom mics dipping down into the frame because the projectionist misaligned the print). However, that's not the case with 2.35:1 movies like Terminator 3. Even though the movie was shot on Super 35, the theatrical release prints are optically printed with an anamorphic stretch, and projected with the same anamorphic lenses as if the movie had been filmed in Panavision.
Old 05-13-09, 04:11 PM

The internet has truly deadened the puerile magic of possibly seeing a vaguely famous actress semi-nude.