Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Firmware is the bane of my existence

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yet another firmware rant.

I talk my uncle into finally chucking the old DVD player for a new Blu-ray player for his LCD. Naturally the first disc he puts is a BD Stevie Nicks music video from Sound Stage and it won't play. He needs to update the firmware. When he updates it the disc plays fine but he's already got a bad taste in his mouth for the technology. Now he has an SD disc again from Sound Stage that won't play. He talks to SONY and there is nothing they can do. He has the room so he's going to hook up his old player just so he can play this disc and any more that might come up. The same disc played fine in my HD DVD players but wouldn't play in my SONY either. The freakin thing is an SD disc not a BD. What's up with that?

I picked up Starship Troopers a couple weeks ago at BB on sale. I pop it in my s350 with the latest firmware and it won't play. Talk to SONY and he blamed a bad disc. Sorry "Douglas" but I also tried another copy and neither will play. So hopefully the next update will take care of it.

My uncle loves video and audio. But the all the guy can talk about is what a pain the BD has been so far. I have to admit, nothing is worse than getting home a new disc you can't wait to pop in and it won't play.

I may switch to Panasonic if those are any better.
Old 04-24-09, 11:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Firmware is the bane of my existence

You know what this thread needs? Another firmware update!

Being serious, my S550 has been great. Played ever BD/DVD I've tossed it at. Have you tried swapping the player out?
Old 04-24-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimRochester

I picked up Starship Troopers a couple weeks ago at BB on sale. I pop it in my s350 with the latest firmware and it won't play. Talk to SONY and he blamed a bad disc. Sorry "Douglas" but I also tried another copy and neither will play. So hopefully the next update will take care of it.
I had the exact same problem with that movie and player. For some reason, you need a USB stick inserted in the back of the player for that movie and also make sure BD Live is enabled, even if you don't have it hooked up. Not sure why it works, but it plays fine after that. I just leave a 2 GB stick in the player at all times.
Old 04-25-09, 02:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Maybe not. This is a BD Live code bug on the USA disc. Not only that, 6 seconds is accidentally cut out of the movie. The whole production run has it. A replacement issue of StarShip Troopers is available with different cover art if you contact Sony directly. (most resellers don't have the fixed version in stock)
Old 04-25-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had many angry battles with fimware updates for the past year, but thankfully I think Sharp has gotten their act together as of late.
Old 04-25-09, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

My Panny BD35 has worked flawlessly. Never had a problem with any disc, and f/w upgrades take about 3 minutes over wireless LAN.
Old 04-25-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had any problems with my PS3, or with firmware updates...
Old 04-25-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't had issues other than having to wait for Sharp or LG to get around to updating the discs that don't work. I'm hoping we are at a point now with all studios on board that the constant need for updates stops.
Old 04-25-09, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by mtrodaba2468
i've never had any problems with my ps3, or with firmware updates...
+1
Old 04-25-09, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have never once had any issues playing discs on my samsung bd-p 1600 or my bd-p 1500. everytitle i have has played in it just fine never any issues, and i have never had any issues wondering if my firmware is up todate as my player automaticly uploads it as soon as its availble online, (get a nice little prompt without having to do any checking, saying firmware now availble would you like to update.)
Old 04-26-09, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Maybe not. This is a BD Live code bug on the USA disc. Not only that, 6 seconds is accidentally cut out of the movie. The whole production run has it. A replacement issue of StarShip Troopers is available with different cover art if you contact Sony directly. (most resellers don't have the fixed version in stock)
Seriously? This is the first I've heard of that. How can you tell if you have the correct version? I bought the trilogy on Blu. Are those discs more likely to be correct/incorrect? Also, at what point in the movie is the problem?
Old 04-26-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

at the Best In High Definition Entertainment. Makes me wonder how these monkeys actually got the technology to work.

More info on the bug: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1033...ptroopers.html

Such irony, considering the movie.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-26-09 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-26-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You know what this thread needs? Another firmware update!

Being serious, my S550 has been great. Played ever BD/DVD I've tossed it at. Have you tried swapping the player out?
The SD disc of my uncle's would not play in either his 550 or my 350 however would play in his old SONY SD player and both my HD-DVD players. It is a compatibility issue with the SONY BD's.

SONY told me Starship Troopers is the authoring of the disc, nothing wrong with their players.

It may seem simple but it's kind of a pain to buy a memory stick to play a $15 title. I have no interest in BD live.

Last edited by JimRochester; 04-26-09 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing that a Sony Disc doesn't play in a Sony BD player. Gotta love that one.

I think this firmware stuff has gotten better. Still, it is lurking out there, though. At least you don't have to mail the player back in like with that Pioneer model.
Old 04-27-09, 08:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRBD
Seriously? This is the first I've heard of that. How can you tell if you have the correct version? I bought the trilogy on Blu. Are those discs more likely to be correct/incorrect? Also, at what point in the movie is the problem?
Yes the ones shipping with the trilogy all have the java bug and the missing 6 seconds.

Last edited by HumanMedia; 04-29-09 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-28-09, 04:33 AM

This reminds me of my first DVD player that wouldn't play many of my movies correctly (namely anything with seamless branching). This after the debacle of players not being able to play the Matrix. Since firmware updates didn't exist, I had to go out and purchase a new player. That one would play the movies I had problems with before, but now it wouldn't play the Matrix. If only I had firmware updates at the time. I'm glad that they are able to offer firmware updates, now. Incompatibility problems are inevitable when you're dealing with a media format that is advancing and evolving. With that said, however, I will agree that with Blu-ray there seems to be more problems. Whether that's because there really are more problems or there are more people websites and more people online to talk about it, or maybe there really aren't more problems to begin with. You would think that when a new format is released, that they'll have a standard before release, but that never seems to happen to get the newest technology out quickly. Plus a standard before release, not allowing for any changes, keeps the technology from evolving and getting better. Most of the problems, now, seem to be with BD-Live, which seemed to only make it's appearance after HD DVD had similar features. Even if it was a feature they were looking at earlier, I think it was rushed in order to compete.
Old 04-28-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I've never had any problems with my PS3, or with firmware updates...
Neither have I, but that isn't really the point. It is a hassle and source of confusion for many people.
Old 04-28-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRBD
The issue with the 6 seconds of wrong footage is described in the review here:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1033...ptroopers.html

I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out to me.
Old 04-28-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cpgator
Neither have I, but that isn't really the point. It is a hassle and source of confusion for many people.
Yes, but honestly, just getting through the day is a hassle and source of confusion for many people.
Old 04-29-09, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The issue with the 6 seconds of wrong footage is described in the review here:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1033...ptroopers.html

I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out to me.
Sounds like, because I got the trilogy, I have the problem. Thanks to your pointer, it should be easy to confirm.
Old 04-30-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad my PS3 updates for me. No issues so far. One of the best media machines I've ever owned.

= J
Old 04-30-09, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazing to me that a couple years since BD has come out, and the technology is still not ready for prime time. If memory serves me right, no matter how early you adopted, when you put a DVD into a player, the thing played.
Old 04-30-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember my first Toshiba had an audio glitch that was fixed with a firmware upgrade. Other than that they were pretty reliable machines. I've already upgraded my 1.0 profile player to the 2.0 and still have had numerous discs not play. This case of my uncle's that an SD won't play in it is ridiculous
Old 04-30-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Amazing to me that a couple years since BD has come out, and the technology is still not ready for prime time. If memory serves me right, no matter how early you adopted, when you put a DVD into a player, the thing played.
Your memory serves you wrong. There were plenty of player/disc compatibility issues. I remember whole websites dedicated to lists of buggy players and problematic player/disc combinations.

I'm no Blu-ray apologist, but the perception of a high-incidence rate of player "issues" is an inaccurate one perpetuated by internet message boards. Blu-ray as a technology is ready for prime time and has been for awhile.
Old 04-30-09, 05:40 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Your memory serves you wrong. There were plenty of player/disc compatibility issues. I remember whole websites dedicated to lists of buggy players and problematic player/disc combinations.

I'm no Blu-ray apologist, but the perception of a high-incidence rate of player "issues" is an inaccurate one perpetuated by internet message boards. Blu-ray as a technology is ready for prime time and has been for awhile.
My early 1997 launch DVD player, the Sony S7000 played everything that I ever put into it as far I can remember. There might have been a bad disc or two that required a replacement disc, I'm not sure. The only reason I upgraded after a few years was to add DTS and progressive scan.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.