HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

BD-LIVE FEATURES: List The good ones here

Old 04-18-09, 03:45 PM

BD-LIVE FEATURES: List The good ones here

I couldn't find a list of BD-LIVE features anywhere on this site, and I am not sure if anyone has compiled a list elsewhere. I know that many find these features "useless" as they are often simply trailers or brief clips for larger features.

However, I just popped in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I was prompted to go to BD-LIVE for new features. To my surprise, it was actually worth it. There was several segments of audition footage as well as a Cinemax feature (at least 20 minutes in length) that featured interviews with all of the principals in the movie.

Please post any BD-LIVE features that you have found that have been "worth it" to you with a brief description of the feature.

Thanks
Coop
Old 04-18-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: BD-LIVE FEATURES: List The good ones here

Originally Posted by coop22 View Post
I couldn't find a list of BD-LIVE features anywhere on this site, and I am not sure if anyone has compiled a list elsewhere. I know that many find these features "useless" as they are often simply trailers or brief clips for larger features.

However, I just popped in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I was prompted to go to BD-LIVE for new features. To my surprise, it was actually worth it. There was several segments of audition footage as well as a Cinemax feature (at least 20 minutes in length) that featured interviews with all of the principals in the movie.

Please post any BD-LIVE features that you have found that have been "worth it" to you with a brief description of the feature.

Thanks
Coop
I think Forgetting Sarah Marshall's BD-Live features were actually present on the 3 disc DVD set (or at least a good chunk of them). I still have found very little use for BD-Live because it takes several minutes to connect, then for some you need to enter a username/password, and after that most of the features are Trailers, TV Spots or advertisements for 'insert studio'. Other times its features that have been removed from the DVD and put on BD-Live (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Milk). If the studios want BD-Live to succeed they need to dump the username/password process (or at least one unique name for every studio) and put up new features on a monthly basis. Who is really going to connect a 2 year old Sony title and wait 20 minutes to download a 4 minute SD gag reel?
Old 04-18-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Transformers pop-up menu modification feature might be the best BD-Live feature! That should be all you need to know to understand how shitty BD-Live has been thus far.
Old 04-18-09, 04:11 PM

I hear you Gizmo, but the point I am trying to make is that there may be instances where it is worth it. Because they have been disappointing and time consuming in the past, I often don't even check, but this time I was pleased. If there are other times that they are worth it, I would like to know. We might be able to help one another out by pointing out which titles have features that are worth it (even if there are only a few).
Old 04-18-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coop22 View Post
I hear you Gizmo, but the point I am trying to make is that there may be instances where it is worth it. Because they have been disappointing and time consuming in the past, I often don't even check, but this time I was pleased. If there are other times that they are worth it, I would like to know. We might be able to help one another out by pointing out which titles have features that are worth it (even if there are only a few).
Honestly, I think I've checked out 90% of all titles that have had BD-Live and I can't think of a single one that has been worth it. The features on them are typically very short (and usually in SD), stuff removed from the DVD, Trailers, TV Spots, Polls, Trivia, Online chatting etc. I think I'll agree with awil on this one, Transformers BD is probably the best example of BD-Live (and most of that was on the HD DVD in 2007). Sometimes BD-Live is not even active (Halloween for example).

I suppose The Dark Knight chatting think with Nolan was pretty neat, but that appears to have been a one time thing. BD-Live is a good idea, but the studios are using more as a way to push Advertisements/Trailers on us rather then exclusive content.
Old 04-18-09, 11:09 PM

I'm pretty sure the Sukiyaki Western Django BD-live has pretty much most of the extras found on all the exclusive DVD's that found it's way onto about 30 different stores shelves.
Old 04-18-09, 11:09 PM

I suppose The Dark Knight chatting think with Nolan was pretty neat, but that appears to have been a one time thing. BD-Live is a good idea, but the studios are using more as a way to push Advertisements/Trailers on us rather then exclusive content.
That was neat... in concept.

The execution on the other hand... not so much.
Old 04-19-09, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cars Cine-explore feature is pretty cool.
Old 04-19-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Cine-explore for Cars is not BD-Live.

Transformers does have an enhanced movie mode that displays more text trivia, health status for the Autobots and Decepticons, and GPS coordinates.

Shrek The Third has a trivia track that is updated through BD-Live.

Wait...come to think of it. Aside from Tropic Thunder, pretty much all of the Paramount/Dreamworks BD-Live features have been pretty cool. The Kung Fu Panda Shoalin Monk featurette, Iron Man interactive quizzes that are updated via BD-Live.

Mamma Mia! lets you download a video commentary made by your friends.

The strangest BD-Live feature I have encountered but is kinda nifty is The Spirit's LG gadgets. A live clock, weather, and Lionsgate news ticker appear on the main menu and with a press of the red button, is overlayed over the film. These are all dependent on the BD-Live connection. Granted its annoying after awhile but it could be used to provide new graphic overlays like storyboards or video commentaries.
Old 04-19-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
If you could download a track from anyone it would pretty awesome, but adding a friend to your Universal "friend list" is a pain in the butt.
Old 04-19-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The strangest BD-Live feature I have encountered but is kinda nifty is The Spirit's LG gadgets. A live clock, weather, and Lionsgate news ticker appear on the main menu and with a press of the red button, is overlayed over the film. These are all dependent on the BD-Live connection. Granted its annoying after awhile but it could be used to provide new graphic overlays like storyboards or video commentaries.
Yeah, I saw that as well. Kind of annoying because even if you turn it off, once you go back to the menu, it turns on again. I also noticed it was a bit quirky. Heck, while the weather was probably correct, the clock was not (mine was off by a few hours). Maybe I didn't have my BD player clock set or something?
Old 04-19-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Yeah, I saw that as well. Kind of annoying because even if you turn it off, once you go back to the menu, it turns on again. I also noticed it was a bit quirky. Heck, while the weather was probably correct, the clock was not (mine was off by a few hours). Maybe I didn't have my BD player clock set or something?
I know when I want to sit down and watch a 2 hour movie the first thing I think about is "Gee...I wonder what the weather is like outside?"
Old 04-19-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
If you could download a track from anyone it would pretty awesome, but adding a friend to your Universal "friend list" is a pain in the butt.
Ok, I'll give you that but at least its a step in the right direction. I mean they could have just gone lazy and offerred up just ringtones and wallpapers. But c'mon who would use BD-Live like that.
Old 04-19-09, 01:13 PM

The NYA set sounds promising, but the execution probably won't live up to the description in any shape or form.

Check out the "Message From Neil Young" (at the link) for a description of how BD-Live will be used to continually update the Archives.

Of course, this set costs $300 (I hope Netflix carries 'Journey Through The Past' on Blu,) and I wonder if you'll have to constantly delete stuff when you run out of memory.

But in my experience (and opinion,) there have been no good ones yet.
Old 04-19-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first time I checked out BD-Live features was almost exactly like the first time I checked out DVD-Rom features way back when. I was excited to see what I was missing out on, then I after seeing it, realized I was missing out on anything.
Old 04-19-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Cine-explore for Cars is not BD-Live.

Transformers does have an enhanced movie mode that displays more text trivia, health status for the Autobots and Decepticons, and GPS coordinates.

Shrek The Third has a trivia track that is updated through BD-Live.

Wait...come to think of it. Aside from Tropic Thunder, pretty much all of the Paramount/Dreamworks BD-Live features have been pretty cool. The Kung Fu Panda Shoalin Monk featurette, Iron Man interactive quizzes that are updated via BD-Live.

You're right. I think BD-Live I think BD exclusive features.
Old 04-20-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait...come to think of it. Aside from Tropic Thunder, pretty much all of the Paramount/Dreamworks BD-Live features have been pretty cool.
The "Dispatches from the Edge of Madness" skits on Tropic Thunder are frickin' hilarious. They should have been included on the disc rather than stuck on BD-Live, of course.
Old 04-20-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there any way to access BD-Live content which has been downloaded to your PS3 directly without loading the associated disc? Also, is there any way to see how much room this content is using (and possibly archive it)?
Old 04-21-09, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The "Dispatches from the Edge of Madness" skits on Tropic Thunder are frickin' hilarious. They should have been included on the disc rather than stuck on BD-Live, of course.
I liked the material but unlike other Paramount/Dreamworks BD-Live, these could have easily been on a disc like you said. Or at the very least, add something awesome to BD-Live like the complete Alpa Chino's "I Like The..." music video or the complete Simple Jack movie.
Old 08-24-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
I think Forgetting Sarah Marshall's BD-Live features were actually present on the 3 disc DVD set (or at least a good chunk of them). I still have found very little use for BD-Live because it takes several minutes to connect, then for some you need to enter a username/password, and after that most of the features are Trailers, TV Spots or advertisements for 'insert studio'. Other times its features that have been removed from the DVD and put on BD-Live (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Milk). If the studios want BD-Live to succeed they need to dump the username/password process (or at least one unique name for every studio) and put up new features on a monthly basis. Who is really going to connect a 2 year old Sony title and wait 20 minutes to download a 4 minute SD gag reel?
Well for a gag reel I would probably do that but I would prefer it just be on the disc.

Do you have to download this stuff each time or is it saved the the HD?

Also is this feature still crap or have some good implementations come out yet?
Old 08-24-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the new Office Season 6 BD-Live features sound cool... you'll be able to watch Season 7 episodes on demand style as they air.
Old 08-25-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
the new Office Season 6 BD-Live features sound cool... you'll be able to watch Season 7 episodes on demand style as they air.
Yeah, I'm curious to see how that works...could be very cool.

Back in the early days of the HD formats, I was very excited about the potential of online-connected content. Unfortunately, BD-Live hasn't lived up to its potential.

The main problem is that nothing is standardized. The BDA should have made the effort to develop a standard login and portal for all BD-Live content, with areas that each studio can uniquely tailor for their releases. Had they done this, BD-Live would have been a much better marketing opportunity for the studios, because people would actually use it.
Old 08-25-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post

Back in the early days of the HD formats, I was very excited about the potential of online-connected content. Unfortunately, BD-Live hasn't lived up to its potential.
^ this

I was initially excited for the concept, but in my experience the execution/experience has been vastly underwhelming.
What is considered the "best" BD-Live content to date? I will admit enjoying the opening menu on the T2 release that pinpointed my location.
Old 08-25-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

The best I've seen is the "Princess quiz" on Snow White- you answer a few questions then it tells you which Disney princess you're the most similar to, THEN you can enter a phone number and they will call that number a minute later with a recorded message from whichever princess matches your personality. The cool thing about this is it can be ANY phone number, so you can use this to annoy your friends (and enemies).
Old 08-25-10, 05:28 PM

I know that many are not into the bdlive. I did like the walle and a bug's life bdlive. they had it where you could watch it with other people. chatting and stuff. I found those to be interesting. another vote on the transformers menu thing.

Jacob

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.