Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

Old 07-29-09, 12:23 PM
  #301  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

Originally Posted by beebs View Post
What BR player do you have? Some folks are reporting problems with this disc and LG370/390 and Samsung 1590/1600/3600 players.
Updated PS3. I'm 99.9% sure it's the disc and not the player. I'll go call them and ask for a replacement. It happens in regular and maximum movie mode. Same place - Chapter 2.

Edit: Called and they said they would send out a replacement. She said something about the return label too I think, god forbid me understand anything with that thick accent. Oh well.

Last edited by pridesticks06; 07-29-09 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 12:32 PM
  #302  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,631
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

I use a PS3 as my Blu-ray player and was able to play the entire movie. So it probably is the disc.
Old 07-29-09, 06:28 PM
  #303  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

Home Media Magazine is reporting that the BD had a 36% share of total sales. I believe that's a record number for a day & date title. Very impressive.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 07-29-09 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 06:42 PM
  #304  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,994
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Home Media Magazine is reporting that the BD had a 36% share of total sales. I believe that's a record number for a day & date title. Very impressive.
Indeed it is. Maybe I'll actually attempt to watch this film sometime this year.
Old 07-30-09, 09:40 PM
  #305  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Home Media Magazine is reporting that the BD had a 36% share of total sales. I believe that's a record number for a day & date title. Very impressive.
DVDFile has the same story.

This is great news, Star Trek may even be able to hit the 50/50 total. But, watchmen really did have it's nitch market, ST may be to broad of a market to hit that number. Maybe some BR Disk will hit that after XMas.
Old 07-30-09, 11:02 PM
  #306  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,953
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

As much as I hate to say it, I think Transformers 2 will have a chance at 50/50.
Old 07-30-09, 11:22 PM
  #307  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,994
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
As much as I hate to say it, I think Transformers 2 will have a chance at 50/50.
No way. The Blu-ray will sell more copies (compared to Watchmen BD) but DVD will say waaaay more DVD copies (compared to Watchmen DVD). Remember, Watchmen is an R rated film while Transformers 2 is PG13. It's going to be more accessible to to consumers. I doubt Paramount will be as lax with the BD pricing as Warner has with Watchmen.
Old 07-31-09, 05:24 PM
  #308  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,953
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
No way. The Blu-ray will sell more copies (compared to Watchmen BD) but DVD will say waaaay more DVD copies (compared to Watchmen DVD). Remember, Watchmen is an R rated film while Transformers 2 is PG13. It's going to be more accessible to to consumers. I doubt Paramount will be as lax with the BD pricing as Warner has with Watchmen.
I think many dvd buyers are going to skip purchasing it on release day, opting to wait for a price break if they really want it. Blu-Ray buyers will purchase for the overall presentation on day one. That's my guess at least.
Old 07-31-09, 05:53 PM
  #309  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,994
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
I think many dvd buyers are going to skip purchasing it on release day, opting to wait for a price break if they really want it. Blu-Ray buyers will purchase for the overall presentation on day one. That's my guess at least.
Unlike Warner, Paramount does not seem to offer these 'rebates' to stores as quickly. I noticed Fry's also jumped on the Warner rebate train with numerous catalog titles have an instant $5 rebate. Blu-ray owners will eat this title up...but I think DVD owners will as well. Really hope this outsells Transformers 2.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.