Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox/MGM Catalog Titles in June and July 2009

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Fox/MGM Catalog Titles in June and July 2009

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-09, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Fox/MGM Catalog Titles in June and July 2009

I'm passing on the Graduate, a great film, because the transfer sounds lousy compared to what it could have been and deserves. Thanks for losing my money MGM.
Old 06-05-09, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
While everyone else will say "well, at least these look better than the DVD!!!" that's as bad as the "good enough" that was ragged on in previous years. Why should we settle for "good enough" in 2009? It's not like these are rare prints of previously unknown cuts. They need some serious TLC (at least the classic films like The Graduate and Silent of the Lambs). We are in 2009 - not 2006. Sony knows that as they ditched previous MPEG2 encodes (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) for fresh MPEG4 transfers. No major studio uses MPEG2 - except MGM.
Actually, on a number of different forums people have been expressing their satisfaction with the way the MGM disc looks regardless of the fact that it is MPEG-2 encoded. You have been asked to clarify what could have looked better and, other than producing vague statements about how a "fresh" AVC encode would have been better, you have not offered a single credible reason to support your "good enough" insinuation.

Let's make it very clear - as someone who has just seen the MGM disc, I can assure you, and everyone else in doubt, that there is very little, as far as the MPEG-2 transfer is concerned, that could be addressed as "disappointing".

The transfer for The Graduate is excellent!

Elsewhere, Robert George, who used to post here at DVDTALK, addressed your disappointment point by point by the way, but your only reply has been that the problem is that instead of using a "fresh" AVC encode MGM encoded the transfer with MPEG-2.

It is ironic to see how some things never change around here.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-05-09 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-05-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I'll probably pass on The Graduate also. I've heard from a few places that the transfer was pretty bad. Oh, well. It's only $20 too!
Old 06-05-09, 08:32 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Actually, on a number of different forums people have been expressing their satisfaction with the way the MGM disc looks regardless of the fact that it is MPEG-2 encoded. You have been asked to clarify what could have looked better and, other than producing vague statements about how a "fresh" AVC encode would have been better, you have not offered a single credible reason to support your "good enough" insinuation.

Let's make it very clear - as someone who has just seen the MGM disc, I can assure you, and everyone else in doubt, that there is very little, as far as the MPEG-2 transfer is concerned, that could be addressed as "disappointing".

The transfer for The Graduate is excellent!

Elsewhere, Robert George, who used to post here at DVDTALK, addressed your disappointment point by point by the way, but your only reply has been that the problem is that instead of using a "fresh" AVC encode MGM encoded the transfer with MPEG-2.

It is ironic to see how some things never change around here.

Pro-B
Oh, so we are now mature enough for you to be posting on DVDTALK? Wow! I see you jumped right back in to reply to a post I made (what a shock) and are now defending the practice of MGM releasing a 2+ year old encode instead of re-doing it (like Sony has with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). I've already made my point and several members here (and from other forums) will be passing on this lazy-release by MGM. Hopefully MGM sees these responses and actually takes the time to make a movie as classic as The Graduate to look as best as it could be in 2009 not 2006.

And to further my response on Robert George - you read AVS now? Thought you don't go to website where "scientists" make up stuff?
Old 06-05-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Oh, so we are now mature enough for you to be posting on DVDTALK? Wow! I see you jumped right back in to reply to a post I made (what a shock) and are now defending the practice of MGM releasing a 2+ year old encode instead of re-doing it (like Sony has with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). I've already made my point and several members here (and from other forums) will be passing on this lazy-release by MGM. Hopefully MGM sees these responses and actually takes the time to make a movie as classic as The Graduate to look as best as it could be in 2009 not 2006.
Unfortunately, you have failed to make your point, on a number of forums -- which is the reason why I am replying to your post. The offer remains open: feel free to explain why the transfer for The Graduate isn't acceptable. On multiple forums you have failed to do so, so I don't expect you to be able to defend your criticism here either.

My opinion is that The Graduate looks fantastic.

And to further my response on Robert George - you read AVS now?
I am unsure what this means as you still have not addressed Robert George's post. By the way, just like I did above, he stated that the transfer is great.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-05-09 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Unfortunately, you have failed to make your point, on a number of forums -- which is the reason why I am replying to your post. The offer remains open: feel free to explain why the transfer for The Graduate isn't acceptable. On multiple forums you have failed to do so, so I don't expect you to be able to defend your criticism here either.

My opinion is that The Graduate looks fantastic.

I am unsure what this means as you still have not addressed Robert George's post. Just like I did above, he stated that the transfer is great.

Pro-B
Why should I have to explain why MPEG2 is not superior to MPEG4 and that MGM went cheap and instead of making it look even better in 2009 they instead recycled something from 2007. You are more than welcome to think it looks fantastic (as-if I cared about your very Blu opinion). Other people are not so keen on the transfer and I'd point you to a professional review...but looks like MGM has skimped out on shipping out review copies on the MPEG2 titles (again). Perhaps you should now go back to that other board because we are not "mature enough" posters for you.
Old 06-05-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Why should I have to explain why MPEG2 is not superior to MPEG4 and that MGM went cheap and instead of making it look even better in 2009 they instead recycled something from 2007.
Thank you.

You could continue criticizing MGM's transfer of The Graduate now.

Pro-B
Old 06-05-09, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Thank you.

You could continue criticizing MGM's transfer of The Graduate now.

Pro-B
Sure will. It's been sitting on my desk at home all week opened (since I watched it already!) next to all those shiny Weinstein Blu-rays...from Canada.
Old 06-06-09, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a silly argument, but the point is that even if The Graduate looks great using older methods, it could potentially look better using newer methods, and maybe they'd have done the whole disc right and I wouldn't feel ripped off because the special features are stuffed onto a DVD that I already bought. One of the joys of Blu-Ray is that I no longer have to change discs to watch special features on a two-disc set, but MGM has discovered a way to make me switch discs to watch extras on a ONE disc set.

It may be saving MGM money, but it isn't really saving me money, so I don't see it as beneficial. If these releases had a noticeably lower MSRP than a Blu-Ray with all the bonus features, I'd be more inclined to let it go, because then I'm saving money to deal with the features not being directly included. But even with The Graduate at $19.99 at my local Fry's, I've paid less for BDs that carried over all of the DVD bonuses. It's a rip-off, it's a sham, even if the film looks good for what it is. The disc can look great but MGM is still skimping.
Old 06-06-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think we all agree that it can still look OK, could still look better, and you 2 won't agree no matter what.

There, everyone in agreement?
Old 06-06-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I think we all agree that it can still look OK, could still look better, and you 2 won't agree no matter what.

There, everyone in agreement?
Yeah, Warner is the only studio really worth bitching about anyways lol.
Old 06-06-09, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Warner has been pretty damn good lately in terms of lossless, keeping extras etc.
Old 06-07-09, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand all the hate directed at Warner, outside of not including lossless. As far as I'm concerned, their track record is one of the best.