Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Clerks and Chasing Amy coming to Blu-Ray ( according to Kevin Smith )

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Clerks and Chasing Amy coming to Blu-Ray ( according to Kevin Smith )

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Clerks and Chasing Amy coming to Blu-Ray ( according to Kevin Smith )

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
To each his own, but I'll never put II in the same league as the original.
What if reviews said it was better? Would you do it then?
Old 04-08-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Clerks was great and one of the reasons it was so great was because of the impact it made on film making. It was the little engine that could. The Rudy of it's time. It was a great story, and a damn good movie.

Clerks II couldn't replicate it. Kevin was already a Hollywood filmmaker by then. But Clerks II on it's own is a very good movie. Funny as hell. A money grab? Eh. Isn't the intent of all movies to make money? Clerks II was Kevin telling the story of what happened to the guys from Clerks in their 30s. Clerks used dialog to tell the story about how he felt in his 20s. Clerks II was intended to continue that.

Don't be surprised when Clerks III comes out in 8 years and Kevin needs an avenue to tell how he feels about his 40s.

Off to the donkey show!
Old 04-09-09, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Randal's speech in the jail cell, which is the thematic point of the film, resonated with me. The jokes, not so much, although I do still like the performances of Anderson and O'Halloran, and the last shot was pretty great. It's lesser than the original, by a lot, and I don't like it nearly as much as I did when I saw it the first time, but it's not completely without merit.
Old 04-09-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first Clerks was a film that surprised me with not only the sheer amount of dialog but also with the language and topics. It was a film I loved from the first time I saw it. Clerks II was an attempt to maybe cash in of Kevin's "fame" and make some money but I really feel he tried to wrap up a story. Clerks II was not as funny but the film had heart toward the end. As soon as I got home from seeing it opening day I planned yet another visit out to Jersey to meet Kevin and be a part of what I think is still the largest signing he has ever done. By the size of the line that day I think that no matter how much people bitch about the film on message boards it has fans and so does Kevin.

I hope to get all the new blu-rays since my DVD copies of his films are all signed and out of reach.
Old 04-09-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Clerks was a fresh, inspired piece of original comedic film making. II was a shameless money grab, lacking any semblance of humor or originality. Read the reviews.
I'd rather make my own opinion about the movie than read the opinions of other people and start parroting them.

OK, OK, I can see this thread (nay, forum) may be populated by an inordinate number of Viewaskewniverse fanboys.....perhaps maybe even the fat man himself is lurking around here under a nom de plume.....

I'm pretty open about being a Kevin Smith fanboy. With that said, I'm not so blinded that all 8 of his movies are tied for #1 on my "favorite movies of all time" list.

As far as your opinion goes, you're more than welcome to it. Just as I'm more than welcome to disagree with it.
Old 04-09-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm not a Smith fanboy but I found Clerks II to be very enjoyable. It did not have the impact on me the first did, but for what it is, I like it a lot. I also count Chasing Amy as my favorite Smith film, and don't care much for JASBSB.
Old 04-09-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, OK, I can see this thread (nay, forum) may be populated by an inordinate number of Viewaskewniverse fanboys.....perhaps maybe even the fat man himself is lurking around here under a nom de plume.....

No one said you had to....you are more than entitled to enjoy the original and think the sequel is a giant pile of dog shit....

Am I a fan of Smith? Yes...
Do I care if someone else hates any or all of his films? No...

However, in expressing your opinion, you told everyone to "read the reviews" to back up your belief that the film is terrible.....which makes no sense and actually hurts your argument seeing as the majority of reviews were actually POSITIVE...
Old 04-24-09, 05:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Heard a rumbling of Clerks in September - it would be the 15 year anniversary. So Clerks XV?
Old 04-24-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Heard a rumbling of Clerks in September - it would be the 15 year anniversary. So Clerks XV?
Nice! Though at this point I am more interested in "Chasing Amy XII", as the Criterion DVD now seems a bit lacking in the bonus features department in comparison to most of his other films....
I figure Clerks will pretty much be a straight port, since there's really not much more they could add to it compared to the 10th Anniversary Edition....I'd be happy if they included the deleted scenes to be viewed outside of the longer cut, as they were on the first DVD.....

Any word yet on Universal putting Mallrats out on Blu-ray? I know they have a lot of HD DVD discs to play "catch up" with, but I figured that one would be higher on their priority list considering the good sales Smith films have had historically on home video....

Last edited by WMAangel; 04-24-09 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-24-09, 07:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Nice! Though at this point I am more interested in "Chasing Amy XII", as the Criterion DVD now seems a bit lacking in the bonus features department in comparison to most of his other films....
I figure Clerks will pretty much be a straight port, since there's really not much more they could add to it compared to the 10th Anniversary Edition....I'd be happy if they included the deleted scenes to be viewed outside of the longer cut, as they were on the first DVD.....

Any word yet on Universal putting Mallrats out on Blu-ray? I know they have a lot of HD DVD discs to play "catch up" with, but I figured that one would be higher on their priority list considering the good sales Smith films have had historically on home video....
Chasing Amy BD is coming. They are filming some new stuff for that. Clerks XV would make an obvious release (since the other Smith films did decent on BD) and I'd love to get rid of my buly DVD set. Mallrats would likely arrive around the same time but I've heard no official dates on that (could make a good tie-in with My Name is Earl S4 as well).

You're going to see a rush of Universal catch-up titles in Q3/Q4. They are trying to get as many out as possible that either have great tie-in possibilities or just random 'big' titles that might do well. I'd say 8-10 per month sounds reasonable (see May and June for this). I just got word of 6 titles in July (I Now Pronounce You..., Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead and one more I can't say yet but has been asked about before here).

Last edited by Gizmo; 04-24-09 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-24-09, 07:55 PM

I need me some Keira...where's Atonement and Pride and Prejudice....seemed like a natural tie in with The Duchess....
Old 07-16-09, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Chasing Amy and Clerks in November.
Old 07-16-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Sweetness....although I do enjoy my Criterion and my Clerks X set.
Old 07-16-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what would be cool? If they can remaster Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back on BD plus throw in all the extras missing from the DVD.
Old 07-16-09, 05:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
You know what would be cool? If they can remaster Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back on BD plus throw in all the extras missing from the DVD.
Isn't that a Disney release? Good luck with that.
Old 07-16-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, and guess what, Clerks and Chasing Amy are Disney releases too.
Old 07-16-09, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Yeah, and guess what, Clerks and Chasing Amy are Disney releases too.
Disney is not going to re-release Jay though. The only shot you have is if a sequel comes out or Disney sells Mirimax (possible) and another studio re-issues it with new content.
Old 07-16-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disney is not going to re-release Jay though. The only shot you have is if a sequel comes out or Disney sells Mirimax (possible) and another studio re-issues it with new content.
Or a 10th anniversary edition in 2011 as the studios know Smith fans will buy multiple releases of the flicks.
Old 07-16-09, 07:03 PM
Suspended

Or a 10th anniversary edition in 2011 as the studios know Smith fans will buy multiple releases of the flicks.
Mirimax will probably be in a new studios hands by that point (atleast rumor going around is Disney is trying to dump that and Dimension titles).
Old 07-16-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe Disney will release a BD + DVD + Digital Copy + Bong combo pack.
Old 07-16-09, 08:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by awil1026
Maybe Disney will release a BD + DVD + Digital Copy + Bong combo pack.
I'd be down for that. But this is Disney we are talking about...they had a damn PSA infront of Pinocchio.
Old 07-16-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd be down for that. But this is Disney we are talking about...they had a damn PSA infront of Pinocchio.
The Disney label won't be anywhere on the product.
Old 07-17-09, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

which is actually very ironic when you think about the big fight between disney and the weinstiens before they had enough and left to start TWC.
to bad the weinstiens are not finacially in a position now to reaquire Miramax and the part of the dimension catalog that is still controlled by disney
Mirimax will probably be in a new studios hands by that point (atleast rumor going around is Disney is trying to dump that and Dimension titles).
Old 07-17-09, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think J&SBSB is the only Smith film I'd upgrade, if they come out with a better version.

All the others are good enough on DVD.
Old 07-17-09, 11:48 AM
Banned

Well, according to Blu-ray.com, there is a boxset coming later that includes Clerks, Chasing Amy and Jay and Silent Bob Stirke back.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3131

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.