Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Clerks and Chasing Amy coming to Blu-Ray ( according to Kevin Smith )

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Clerks and Chasing Amy coming to Blu-Ray ( according to Kevin Smith )

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: Clerks and Chasing Amy coming to Blu-Ray ( according to Kevin Smith )

Definitely picking up Chasing Amy whenever it's release. I'm still thinking about getting the Canadian release depending on how the reviews are for it.

Pass on Clerks BD. I'll eventually just get the Clerks X set.
Old 03-30-09, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big selling point for the Clerks Blu is that it will include the full length doc on Jay and SIlent Bob Strike Back. I beleive it's called 'oh what a lovely tea party.'

I have been waiting to check it out.
Old 03-30-09, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by CombatCraig
I find this funny to hear after I just read this interview the other day where he said Clerks on BD would be a big waste of time lol

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/hig...-blu-ray-13972
If you listen to the podcast, he is still flabbergasted about it being released on blu. It doesn't sound like they have too much control on what gets released, apparently he was delivered the news through an e-mail!
Old 03-30-09, 04:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
It most certainly will be since Criterion declined a second dip on the title last year. I believe that the additional extras are already done.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2120
Which is interesting since the BD comes out in Canada next week because it was initially planned by Mirimax (Disney). I hope its the Criterion though for the extras alone.
Old 03-30-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record, listening to the podcast, here is the information that Kevin lays out:

- They're coming from Disney, not Criterion
- Chasing Amy's transfer is already done, and Clerks transfer is maybe done.
- Clerks should include everything from Clerks X, plus the Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back doc "Oh, What a Lovely Tea Party".
- Chasing Amy should have a new Q+A, a new documentary, and two new commentaries (one with Joey Lauren Adams and one with just Kevin). No mention of whether or not the existing Criterion extras will be included too, but hopefully.
- It won't be called Clerks X, since the 10th Anniversary has already passed. He says probably no SD edition of Chasing Amy, but maybe Clerks.
- He suggests a July date, and that the two new titles will be bundled with Jay and Silent Bob's existing disc in a 3-pack as well.

He also reiterates his desire to do a Jersey Girl extended edition, and says he might use the BD edition as a reason to revisit the title. Also, if anyone feels the same way as Kevin, he is happy that the BD might be the first release to use Clerks' original poster artwork.

I'm in for both of the new discs.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 03-30-09 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CombatCraig
I find this funny to hear after I just read this interview the other day where he said Clerks on BD would be a big waste of time lol

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/hig...-blu-ray-13972
Clerks has been a great seller for a catalog title for Miramax (Disney), and they are probably the ones who decided to release it....I don't think Smith has the ability to tell them no just because he thinks it shouldn't be released until DVD falls by the wayside and Blu-ray is the only format (if that ever will even happen before the next big thing comes along)...
Old 03-30-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Clerks has been a great seller for a catalog title for Miramax (Disney), and they are probably the ones who decided to release it....I don't think Smith has the ability to tell them no just because he thinks it shouldn't be released until DVD falls by the wayside and Blu-ray is the only format (if that ever will even happen before the next big thing comes along)...
Plus, I think he was joking.
Suspended

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
- He suggests a July date, and that the two new titles will be bundled with Jay and Silent Bob's existing disc in a 3-pack as well.
Which means it would be a Disney release and not Criterion, correct?
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Which means it would be a Disney release and not Criterion, correct?
Oh, yeah, he says that, I'll add that to the post.
Old 03-30-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MJG87
It doesn't sound like they have too much control on what gets released, apparently he was delivered the news through an e-mail!
Based on what happened when Mallrats was re-released as a 10th anniversary edition, I'm not too surprised by this....Smith stated that Universal approached them (him and Mosier), basically just saying "hey, we're going to make a new DVD of Mallrats, do you want to help contribute?", so it was going to be made with or without their involvement....they used it as their chance originally to make their own edit of the film (since it was the only one they did not originally get to edit), but then decided instead to make a super long cut with most of the deleted scenes reinstated instead....

It's kind of like what is happening in the music business, where labels are trying to capitalize on their back catalog with deluxe reissues for popular albums and artists...a lot of time these are being done whether or not the band wants it or not....look at the Radiohead re-releases out last week, new 2 (or 3) disc versions of their first three albums, but they did not have anything to do with contributing to their release....on the opposite end, you have Pearl Jam, who chose to get on board with Sony and were able to completely steer the direction of the new "Ten" re-release....
Old 03-30-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the record, listening to the podcast, here is the information that Kevin lays out:
Thanks for the breakdown, I have not yet listened to this new Smodcast....

- Clerks should include everything from Clerks X, plus the Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back doc "Oh, What a Lovely Tea Party".
Awesome, I'm glad we finally get the doc on a home video release!
I was thinking they were going to hold onto it until they re-release J&SBSB on Blu-ray somewhere down the road....I still hope they do eventually, since it was one of their very first Blu-rays, and could use a remastered AVC encode, plus all the missing special features....

- Chasing Amy should have a new Q+A, a new documentary, and two new commentaries (one with Joey Lauren Adams and one with just Kevin). No mention of whether or not the existing Criterion extras will be included too, but hopefully.
It better have those original extras...How could they possibly drop the deleted scenes or the classic original commentary w/Affleck!

He also reiterates his desire to do a Jersey Girl extended edition, and says he might use the BD edition as a reason to revisit the title.
I can only continue to hope so....I really want to see what his true vision was for that film, considering how he has repeatedly stated that the longer version is better....
Old 03-31-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ I happen to really like the Theatrical version so I've been eagerly awaiting his Extended cut.
Old 03-31-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

In for both.
Old 04-01-09, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok thas weird cause in a recent interview he said clerks will probably be the last of his movies to be released on blu ray, as he says he feels that there are other movies that can far better take advantage of blurays improved picture quality.he said that he feels clerks would be a waste of using blurays resources.

Originally Posted by peateargryphon
I was listening to the new Smodcast on Kevin Smith's website ( www.viewaskew.com), and he mentions that Clerks and Chasing Amy are coming to Blu-Ray. He doesn't specify release dates, but he does say that they are working on a new documentary for Chasing Amy.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 04-01-09 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-01-09, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
ok thas weird cause in a recent interview he said clerks will probably be the last of his movies to be released on blu ray, as he says he feels that there are other movies that can far better take advantage of blurays improved picture quality.he said that he feels clerks would be a waste of using blurays resources.
In that interview, he was addressing the possibility of his films on Blu. Since then he got an email from Buena Vista saying that they had picked it, much to his chagrin.
Old 04-01-09, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours

I just saw him live on friday and he was talking about the extended edition of Jersey Girl and how it's more than likely coming out on blu ray next year.
Old 04-01-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 924 Likes on 656 Posts

Count me as another interested in a Jersey Girl: Extended Cut. I enjoyed the movie well enough, but I'm ready to see the original vision before J.Lo was basically cut from the film.

Originally Posted by jmanlakerfan
The big selling point for the Clerks Blu is that it will include the full length doc on Jay and SIlent Bob Strike Back. I beleive it's called 'oh what a lovely tea party.'

I have been waiting to check it out.
Dammit. That's a pretty big selling point. I might be getting it sooner than later.
Old 04-01-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Count me as another interested in a Jersey Girl: Extended Cut. I enjoyed the movie well enough, but I'm ready to see the original vision before J.Lo was basically cut from the film.
Count me in this group as well.
Old 04-01-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

3 pack with J&SBSB?

Looks like I know what I'm getting now

Now for Mallrats to release
Old 04-01-09, 03:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by freshticles
I just saw him live on friday and he was talking about the extended edition of Jersey Girl and how it's more than likely coming out on blu ray next year.
The import HD DVD looked pretty good so I have high hopes for it.
Old 04-02-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Count me in this group as well.
Me too. Affleck is really good in this film.
Old 04-02-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will buy any and all Kevin Smith films on BD, IF they include most of the previously released extras, plus some new extras, and hopefully many of the extras in HD. I will NOT buy any barebones releases...
Old 04-03-09, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been a die-hard Kevin Smith fan for years. Both of these titles will be day-of-release purchases for me.

- It won't be called Clerks X, since the 10th Anniversary has already passed. He says probably no SD edition of Chasing Amy, but maybe Clerks.

He also reiterates his desire to do a Jersey Girl extended edition, and says he might use the BD edition as a reason to revisit the title. Also, if anyone feels the same way as Kevin, he is happy that the BD might be the first release to use Clerks' original poster artwork.

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing "Oh, What A Lovely Tea Party", I admit that I'd rather see it packaged with a rerelease of Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (which would give them an excuse to include all the extras they dropped from that Blu-Ray, that being the ONLY reason I haven't picked it up). But I'm glad it's getting released at all.

And as far as the Chasing Amy release goes, something tells me that the Criterion extras won't be getting included. Kevin stated in the podcast that the Clerks release was including everything from the X release, along with the new stuff. He only mentioned the 2 new commentaries (him and Joey Adams, and him and Scott Mosier), the Q&A, and the making-of documentary. That, plus knowing how Criterion are with their produced bonus features (example, they got the rights to distribute 5 MGM films, including Salo, in exchange for their Raging Bull commentary), makes me think that they won't be ported over. It won't kill me, since I'll be hanging on to the standard DVD regardless (I've noticed that I typically have when I rebuy a movie on Blu-Ray), but it'll suck if it doesn't end up being the "definitive" Chasing Amy.
Old 04-03-09, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
And as far as the Chasing Amy release goes, something tells me that the Criterion extras won't be getting included. Kevin stated in the podcast that the Clerks release was including everything from the X release, along with the new stuff. He only mentioned the 2 new commentaries (him and Joey Adams, and him and Scott Mosier), the Q&A, and the making-of documentary. That, plus knowing how Criterion are with their produced bonus features (example, they got the rights to distribute 5 MGM films, including Salo, in exchange for their Raging Bull commentary), makes me think that they won't be ported over. It won't kill me, since I'll be hanging on to the standard DVD regardless (I've noticed that I typically have when I rebuy a movie on Blu-Ray), but it'll suck if it doesn't end up being the "definitive" Chasing Amy.
You never know. Criterion Life of Brian commentaries were included on the Sony Special Edition, Universal's BD of Do the Right Thing includes the majority of the CC extras, and Disney's Rock BD has the entire Criterion lineup. I'd say that since Criterion isn't planning on doing a BD of Chasing Amy, that we'll get all the old features.
Old 04-03-09, 09:43 AM

Thanks for posting this, I listened to the podcast 2 days ago, and though about posting it here, and as always fanboys started the famous, "no double dipping for me" they should hear the smodcast to get what Kevin's talking about, since he's not a fan of the double dip. We know kev likes to pack the discs this ones won't be different. Specially Chasing Amy, I was there for the Q&A, one of the best ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.