Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let The Right One In - Incorrect Subtitles

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let The Right One In - Incorrect Subtitles

Old 03-30-09, 08:59 AM
bub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Let The Right One In - Incorrect Subtitles

Anybody heard back from Magnolia?
Old 03-30-09, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
It's not a simple matter and is probably the most overlooked element of all foreign-language DVD releases, rarely reviewed or commented on (save for non-translational elements like font, color, timing), and requiring a certain degree of fluency in both languages.
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I'm very happy that attention is being paid to the very difficult work of translation, but I'm not sure that Magnolia is deserving of such negative attention.
That's the problem - it wasn't difficult work at all and it was a VERY simple matter. We're just asking for the exact same subtitles that were used theatrically to be on the DVD/Blu-Ray. No translation needed. It was actually MORE work to change them. This is a case where Magnolia went out of their way to screw up the subtitles.
Old 03-30-09, 03:30 PM
bub

Really, what's up with 'hey, it's no big deal'???

Why don't we just bend over and let the dvd/BD disc pressers change scenes to their liking as well, damn what the director intended?

Boggles the mind really. Why can't we expect these people to do their job correctly? Is that really too much to ask? Simply translate the foreign language dialog into its English equivalent. I know that some languages do not translate exactly, but I would think the director would be involved in making sure the translation and subsequent subtitles were accurate to what HE intended, not what the technician decides.

This is just incompetence, plain and simple. I don't understand how anybody could justify defending the act of generating an English subtitle of "I'm trapped." when the word spoken on the screen in Swedish is "Eli".

Just do your job right please.
Old 03-30-09, 04:14 PM

Apparently, Magnet/Magnolia have heard our concern... and don't care. I'm sending it back to Amazon as defective.

http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/0...les_in_to.html
Old 03-30-09, 06:43 PM
bub

Originally Posted by BigShemp
Apparently, Magnet/Magnolia have heard our concern... and don't care. I'm sending it back to Amazon as defective.

http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/0...les_in_to.html
Boy, what a bunch of internet/blogger dweeb losers we all are... Whoever wrote that response should be fired.
Old 03-30-09, 11:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What asses. I will also be returning mine to Amazon as "Performance or quality not adequate."
Old 03-31-09, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What a dick response. I'm going to alternatively obtain this film rather than give this company any money. The lack of remorse for their fuckup is bad enough without them having to insult their customers.
Old 03-31-09, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the subtitle issue is fixed, I think I'll be getting the Canadian release. I think this will be a good alternative to show magnolia that they've lost their business over this issue.
Old 03-31-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just got my refund processed from Amazon so that was pretty quick. I mailed the return out last Wednesday.

I'm going to go ahead and get the Swedish disk. It's only got 768kbps DTS, but I really don't have the desire to hunt down the fixed domestic especially when it may take a while for it to make it to retail chains due to old stock, might not be a different UPC, etc. It's not worth the hassle plus I'd rather not give Jagnolia any money at this point.
Old 03-31-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To simply swap out the defective bd's for those that already purchased it can't be that prohibitively expensive, can it? Heck, I would even pay for return postage. The tone of Magnolia's response is reason enough to return it as defective, as the revenue they derived (from us) is being taken for granted.