Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let The Right One In - Incorrect Subtitles

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let The Right One In - Incorrect Subtitles

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Let The Right One In - Incorrect Subtitles

Originally Posted by tofferman
Email sent. I encourage everybody that cares to do the same. It only takes a couple of minutes and the more people that respond, the better the chances Magnolia will reconsider and offer an exchange.
Absolutely. Rather than looking at buying another copy of the film from abroad, let's try and get Magnolia to do the right thing!
Old 03-25-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

In addition to the email I think anyone who has a way to return this disc as defective should. I just sent mine back to Amazon today. Maybe they'll get the message when retailers start sending back the defective copies for credit, which will probably cost them more per disc than just exchanging them.
Old 03-25-09, 02:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I wrote Magnolia an email expressing my displeasure with the lack of an exchange program. Simply unacceptable, plain and simple. Otherwise, I might try to use the extended return policy window @ BB thanks to my RZ Silver member status and get the re-pressed BD.
Still got a sealed copy. May wait for the new one to appear on shelves and then swap it.
Old 03-25-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sent the below email:

To Whom It May Concern,

You have undoubtedly received many emails already on this subject, and this will add to them.

It is absolutely unacceptable to claim the subtitles on this release are not defective and do not warrant an exchange program.

You are basically spitting in the face of loyal fans of your product who rush out to buy the items on release day - fans who are FILM ENTHUSIASTS, and of course want the proper theatrical subtitles and not some on-the-cheap substitute done by a college intern using an online translator.

Be assured your behavior on this will not be forgotten in the home theater forums. Mistakes made by studios years ago (and corrected by the way via exchange programs) are still talked about today. Your transgression will not be forgotten.

I have returned my copy to my point of purchase as defective - I hope they send it back to the studio for credit. I will encourage others to do the same until an exchange program is put in place.

Do the right thing here.
Old 03-25-09, 07:36 PM
bub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My email was sent...
Old 03-25-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I sent the below email:
Good email, bunkaroo.
Old 03-26-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Going back to the longer thread we have going in the DVD Talk forum, if you bought the disc on DVD or Blu-ray, I highly suggest you to shoot an email to Magnolia.

Other sites have picked up on our displeasure with Magnolia's decision to screw over the customers who bought this in the first two weeks: Consumerist, Slashfilm and NPR (amongst others) have mentioned the bad customer service and PR in Magnolia's decision.

As someone who saw this theatrically twice, I want the correct subtitles on the disc. If companies like VCI, Elite, Blue Underground or Anchor Bay can do proper exchanges; so can Magnolia. No exceptions (especially since Magnolia has a lot more money than said companies combined due to it's owner).
Old 03-26-09, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can read the NPR story here.
Old 03-26-09, 05:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I prefer accuracy and am upset that the studio isn't at least offering an exchange. Personally, even if I spoke fluent Swedish and/or saw it in theaters, I don't think I'd be that upset over a few poorly chosen words.

But in allegiance with you all, I'll send a complaint email as well.
Old 03-26-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by matome
This is the site I've seen posted around for the Swedish BD (though it's all in Swedish):

http://www.discshop.se/shop/ds_produ...&utm_campaign=

Looks like $30 USD+ shipping. You also get the PAL DVD with this as well, but there is no lossless track, deleted scenes or featurette that is on the US disc. There is a Swedish commentary track with the director that has no English subtitles though.
Sent an inquiry to them yesterday, and heard back today.
It's Region B and they said they don't ship abroad.
Old 03-26-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The link I posted for the one at Subdvd.com should be fine. The disc is confirmed region-free: http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=b
Old 03-26-09, 03:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I sent an email, even more harsh than the one above. I said if they don't institute an exchange program, I will never purchase another one of their titles again.
Old 03-27-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To those emailing Magnolia

please ask that they release the brilliant "Man On Wire" on BD in North America while you're at it

thank you
Old 03-27-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I sent an email, even more harsh than the one above. I said if they don't institute an exchange program, I will never purchase another one of their titles again.
Mine wasn't terribly harsh, but I did say the exact same thing. I told them I'd import every title they put out here just to avoid giving them any more of my money. And I mean it.
Old 03-27-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I prefer accuracy and am upset that the studio isn't at least offering an exchange. Personally, even if I spoke fluent Swedish and/or saw it in theaters, I don't think I'd be that upset over a few poorly chosen words.
Poorly chosen words is taking it lightly on Magnolia

Translating one word, a girl's name "Eli" to "I'm Trapped"...
Old 03-27-09, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore

Translating one word, a girl's name "Eli" to "I'm Trapped"...
First off,
Spoiler:
girl?
And in the context of that scene, "I'm trapped" conveys the characters situation/anguish at that moment.
Old 03-27-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First off,
Spoiler:
girl?
And in the context of that scene, "I'm trapped" conveys the characters situation/anguish at that moment.
Funny, I thought the character's acting conveyed that without words. No need for the improper translation.
Old 03-27-09, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Funny, I thought the character's acting conveyed that without words. No need for the improper translation.
Exactly. I chuckled when I saw that silly (mis)translation. The scene was perfect without dialouge.
Old 03-27-09, 04:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Mine wasn't terribly harsh, but I did say the exact same thing. I told them I'd import every title they put out here just to avoid giving them any more of my money. And I mean it.
Maybe instead of "harsh" I should have said "drastic." I wasn't rude to them. I just informed them that if this is the way they're choosing to run their business, I won't be supporting them anymore. If they choose to institute an exchange program, then I will gladly continue supporting them by purchasing their future titles.
Old 03-28-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

First off,
Spoiler:
girl?
Fixed

I agree with both of you that the acting spoke volumes in that scene and there was no need for any translation. Just the idea of translating a name into something completely different (when it's clearly heard) is just silly to me (IMO).

Originally Posted by asianxcore

Translating one word, the name "Eli" to "I'm Trapped"...

Last edited by asianxcore; 03-28-09 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-28-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here's a different perspective:

My wife is an interpreter in a deaf classroom. One of the concepts she has been taught is to interpret "implied" content rather than exact.

I had her look at the IconsOfFright page, and her thoughts were that with the exception of one particular moment the translations went for the implied meaning. Not necessarily accurate, but certainly implied.

For the record, she disagrees with signing "implied" meaning in the classroom, but in terms of a movie translation she can see how that might occur, considering it's pretty much the same genera thing. Implied. It gets the concept across, and there is a big movement that apparently would prefer that over literal translation, at least in the grade school academic deaf world.

Of course, that doesn't diminish the fact that we would like the original theatrical subs, but I just thought I'd share another angle.

And yes, she disagrees with the incorrect English subs vs theatrical subs. As do I. As do probably all of us in this thread. I'm just offering another way to look at it...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 03-28-09 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-28-09, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Here's a different perspective:

My wife is an interpreter in a deaf classroom. One of the concepts she has been taught is to interpret "implied" content rather than exact.

I had her look at the IconsOfFright page, and her thoughts were that with the exception of one particular moment the translations went for the implied meaning. Not necessarily accurate, but certainly implied.

For the record, she disagrees with signing "implied" meaning in the classroom, but in terms of a movie translation she can see how that might occur, considering it's pretty much the same genera thing. Implied. It gets the concept across, and there is a big movement that apparently would prefer that over literal translation, at least in the grade school academic deaf world.

Of course, that doesn't diminish the fact that we would like the original theatrical subs, but I just thought I'd share another angle.

And yes, she disagrees with the incorrect English subs vs theatrical subs. As do I. As do probably all of us in this thread. I'm just offering another way to look at it...
This would be more relevant if the poor translation didn't also remove some of the artistic intent behind the writing of the lines, like the exchange about living in the jungle gym.
Old 03-28-09, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
This would be more relevant if the poor translation didn't also remove some of the artistic intent behind the writing of the lines, like the exchange about living in the jungle gym.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending the subs, just offering another viewpoint. I agree the artistic intent has been altered.
Old 03-28-09, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, any word on when the new version will be released?
Old 03-30-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Assuming Magnolia is re-authoring and re-pressing these BDs, perhaps a bit less harshness here? I understand the calls for an exchange, but this isn't a product defect situation.

There are far worse subtitles on far too many DVDs, and sometime it's hard to recognize or remember that the second greatest improvement in film viewing over the last 20 years is greatly improved subtitles (I'd say proper aspect ratios is the greatest improvement). I applaud companies like Criterion who put great effort into this, occasionally going out on a limb with new translational approaches to old films (supported by scholarship, of course), and even the occasional offering of alternate subtitles. It's not a simple matter and is probably the most overlooked element of all foreign-language DVD releases, rarely reviewed or commented on (save for non-translational elements like font, color, timing), and requiring a certain degree of fluency in both languages.

But those of you who are going nuts over "Eli!/I'm trapped", and some of the other nuance-lacking, context-defying choices in this translation would have shot yourselves in the bad old days. It was depressing, a typical film often included long stretches of dialog not subbed at all as well as little interjections and asides that flew by without a textual counterpart. You watched a film with the constant, nagging sense that all detail and nuance was being lost (and usually was). The worst I've ever seen was a library print of Rohmer's "My Night at Maud's" where long stretches of conversation were subbed like this: "[philosophical discussion about Pascal]".

I'm very happy that attention is being paid to the very difficult work of translation, but I'm not sure that Magnolia is deserving of such negative attention. It's certainly not the worst I've seen recently. For example, if I was a bigger fan of the Edith Piaff bio-pic, "La Môme", a lavish, Oscar winning prestige production intended for a mass middlebrow audience, I'd be furious at the fact that not a single lyric in the entire film was subtitled on the domestic DVD. As those of you who don't speak French very well may not know, the screenwriter carefully worked those songs into the narrative, usually commenting very directly on the actions and people. The decision not to sub those lyrics makes watching that film a futile endeavor for non French speakers, a far worse situation than what we have here, and one that has not been rectified with the announcement of a new disc, fully subbed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.