HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

I'm Blu Baby!

Old 02-23-09, 07:14 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 568
I'm Blu Baby!

Alright, after much huffin' and puffin' about not ever wanting to get a Blu Ray Player, I finally bit the bullet. I am a proud owner of a PS3/Blu Ray Player. I must say, I'm impressed. The video looks amazing. I'm looking forward to purchasing some Movies now on Blu.

Here's to not burning a hole in our wallets in '09!
Raw_and_Vital is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 07:18 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

so why are you posting in the standard dvd forum?
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 07:19 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

I'll alert the media.
Snowmaker is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 07:29 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 568
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

I'm posting in the regular dvd forum for 1 of 2 reasons...

1. I'm a newb!
or
2. It's part of a bigger and better announcement.

If I were you all, I'd bank on choice number 1.
Raw_and_Vital is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 07:39 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
I'm posting in the regular dvd forum for 1 of 2 reasons...

1. I'm a newb!
or
2. It's part of a bigger and better announcement.

If I were you all, I'd bank on choice number 1.

275 posts is barely a Newb. So I'm banking on #2 and hoping you're announcing this because you are giving away all your standard DVDs to the first 3-4 posters in this thread.
Snowmaker is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 08:03 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Yakuza Bengoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Region Free
Posts: 1,896
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

And to think just last year you were exclaiming "Blu Ray seem like cocky little shits."
Yakuza Bengoshi is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 08:05 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 568
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Yeah, well. What can you do.
Raw_and_Vital is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 08:17 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: stage left
Posts: 338
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
Alright, after much huffin' and puffin' about not ever wanting to get a Blu Ray Player, I finally bit the bullet. I am a proud owner of a PS3/Blu Ray Player. I must say, I'm impressed. The video looks amazing. I'm looking forward to purchasing some Movies now on Blu.

Here's to not burning a hole in our wallets in '09!
Congrats on your purchase. I'll toast with you.

The SD folks no longer wish to hear from you as you've now sold out. They don't serve your kind here. You'll find more acceptance in the HD forum.
Holysmoker is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 08:25 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 2,506
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Welcome to the club!!
Blu Man is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 09:37 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,070
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
Yeah, well. What can you do.
Think before speaking.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 09:39 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,582
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
I'll alert the media.
[Gielgud]And perhaps you'd like to wash his dick... you little shit![/Gielgud]
Al_Tahoe is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 09:50 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 1,827
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
Here's to not burning a hole in our wallets in '09!
Good Luck. You'll be upgrading your dvd's more than you think and at a faster rate...
tofferman is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 09:54 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,812
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi View Post
And to think just last year you were exclaiming "Blu Ray seem like cocky little shits."
I personally can't wait for chris_sc77's eventual purchase of a BD player. We should install a turbine on him as his backpedaling will be so extreme it will be able to power half of the Midwest for a week.
The Bus is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 10:25 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 568
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

I'm still all for SD DVDs to be honest. There are some awesome sets that are released. I will continue to purchase.

I just don't see the reasoning behind buying an SD disc for 15-20 dollars and only making 2 - 3 dollars back when I try and sell it after I go Blu and want to upgrade. Ya know? Makes no sense. I figure, get it, buy HD and be done with it. I think it's a money saver in the long run.

I still plan on buying SD Discs though if it's within reason. A cool box set, etc.

EDIT.
I only plan on buying BD Discs that make sense, Visually and action packed. I can't make sense of spending 30 bucks on a comedy when I can pick it up for 15 on SD. I don't need to see a comedy in HD to laugh. SD will work just fine. So I'll also be buying SD Discs for that reason as well.

Last edited by Raw_and_Vital; 02-23-09 at 10:33 AM.
Raw_and_Vital is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 10:33 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,342
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I personally can't wait for chris_sc77's eventual purchase of a BD player. We should install a turbine on him as his backpedaling will be so extreme it will be able to power half of the Midwest for a week.


I have a shiny copy of Southland Tales ready for him.
Gizmo is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 10:34 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 568
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Hey! I liked Southland Tales!
Raw_and_Vital is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 10:39 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Can's Ass
Posts: 1,342
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

I've also recently taken the plunge into the Blu-ray sea. Although I don't want to double dip/upgrade/whatever it's already happening. I'm considering getting The Dark Knight on Blu-ray, despite owning it on SD.
popcorn is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 12:00 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
SoSpacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Jersey
Posts: 4,238
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
EDIT.
I only plan on buying BD Discs that make sense, Visually and action packed. I can't make sense of spending 30 bucks on a comedy when I can pick it up for 15 on SD. I don't need to see a comedy in HD to laugh. SD will work just fine. So I'll also be buying SD Discs for that reason as well.
riiiiiiiiight. this is what we all say when we get our first player.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall? ---> even with the bad reviews of the video and the front-forward audio track, I still bought the Blu.



Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
I've also recently taken the plunge into the Blu-ray sea. Although I don't want to double dip/upgrade/whatever it's already happening. I'm considering getting The Dark Knight on Blu-ray, despite owning it on SD.

Cool. You can watch it and then jump in to one of the threads that complain about the video quality.
SoSpacey is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 12:07 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by SoSpacey View Post
riiiiiiiiight. this is what we all say when we get our first player.
Speak for yourself! I would never say something so silly as to discount the value of HD to non-action movies, in the first place.
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 12:16 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 435
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
I've also recently taken the plunge into the Blu-ray sea. Although I don't want to double dip/upgrade/whatever it's already happening. I'm considering getting The Dark Knight on Blu-ray, despite owning it on SD.
I think it's worth getting the BD version but I would wait and try to get it on a special offer(like BOGO or buy 2 get one free).
Others I would suggest(if you don't have them already) are:
The incredible Hulk (for the LFE!)
Casino Royale very good transfer
Sleeping Beauty good transfer
SUPERMANROB is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 12:32 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
LickTheABCs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Viva BuyMoria!
Posts: 3,464
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Be prepared for many double-dippings even though you're currently against it.

It will get the better of you.

It will consume your soul.

Oh, and Comedies benefit from HD as much as any other genre. Except when WB/New Line decides to scrub all the detail from them.
LickTheABCs is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 12:44 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
Hey! I liked Southland Tales!

You just invalidated any point you will ever try to make.
Mopower is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 12:53 PM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lakeville, MN
Posts: 3,070
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
EDIT.
I only plan on buying BD Discs that make sense, Visually and action packed. I can't make sense of spending 30 bucks on a comedy when I can pick it up for 15 on SD. I don't need to see a comedy in HD to laugh. SD will work just fine. So I'll also be buying SD Discs for that reason as well.
You're getting it all twisted. BR won't make comedies funnier, it won't make dramas more depressing, it won't make thrillers more exciting, it won't make action/adventures more epic, etc. It's not supposed to do any of that.

It's supposed to make everything you watch LOOK and SOUND better. It's supposed to give you more interactive viewing options. No one needs it. You're not special in that regard. Sorry.
SonOfAStu is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 01:12 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
beebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,760
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
I'm still all for SD DVDs to be honest. There are some awesome sets that are released. I will continue to purchase.

I just don't see the reasoning behind buying an SD disc for 15-20 dollars and only making 2 - 3 dollars back when I try and sell it after I go Blu and want to upgrade. Ya know? Makes no sense. I figure, get it, buy HD and be done with it. I think it's a money saver in the long run.

I still plan on buying SD Discs though if it's within reason. A cool box set, etc.

EDIT.
I only plan on buying BD Discs that make sense, Visually and action packed. I can't make sense of spending 30 bucks on a comedy when I can pick it up for 15 on SD. I don't need to see a comedy in HD to laugh. SD will work just fine. So I'll also be buying SD Discs for that reason as well.
Personally, I'm still picking up SD DVDs. All the BRs I'm buying are all bargains, cause I'm a cheap bastard. Still, I think it quite possible to score most BRs for 12-18 is you are patient and willing to wait 6-8 weeks after release for a deal.
beebs is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 01:19 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 568
Re: I'm Blu Baby!

I'm not getting anything twisted.

Why would I want to watch a comedy in HD? I have no reason for it. I don't care to see a comedy in stunning clarity. Sorry. I don't NEED a comedy to look and sound better. Pointless IMO. I don't care to hear crystal clear crowd ambiance in surround sound and and so on...

An Action movie with crazy explosions, etc. Yes. I WANT that to look and sound better. I want to hear the clarity of the bullets buzzing behind my head and I want to see explosions and carnage at it's absolute best.

So I'm not getting anything twisted. I want to pay the extra cash to see and hear action movies on BLU... I don't want to pay extra cash to see and hear comedies and dramas on BLU. As for the features, they most likely filter down to the SD versions.

That's fine MoPower. You just keep on truckin'!
Raw_and_Vital is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.