Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien Anthology - Oct. 26th

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Alien Anthology - Oct. 26th

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Alien Anthology - Oct. 26th

Explain that unbound feature for us not in the know..
Old 10-26-10, 06:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Jeffrey Combs stuff from the Fisherman's stuff is great. Never had heard of it prior to this release.
Old 10-26-10, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by akubrick1
The Jeffrey Combs stuff from the Fisherman's stuff is great. Never had heard of it prior to this release.
Wha?
Old 10-26-10, 07:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Explain that unbound feature for us not in the know..
If your player supports it (I'm assuming it's a 1.1 feature), if you eject a disc, instead of going back to the player menu, it pops up with a Weyland-Yutani logo. If you put another disc from the set in at that point, it will load directly to the disc menu instead of giving you all the logos and warnings and such.
Old 10-26-10, 07:55 PM
Banned

nice....
Old 10-26-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
If your player supports it (I'm assuming it's a 1.1 feature), if you eject a disc, instead of going back to the player menu, it pops up with a Weyland-Yutani logo. If you put another disc from the set in at that point, it will load directly to the disc menu instead of giving you all the logos and warnings and such.
While the thought is appreciated, it would've been nice if, instead of making you jump through hoops so that you can avoid sitting through other hoops when you want to change discs, they had just not front-loaded all that crap onto any but the first disc, in the first place.

Free marketing/pr idea, Fox: let consumers actually enjoy the product they just handed you stacks of cash for. And the bonus is that every player supports it.

Sorry for the rant; I just think it's a little absurd that they have to come up with a special mode that we then have to learn how to take advantage of so that we won't be bothered by the stuff that they programmed to bother us. I mean, really... WTF?!
Old 10-26-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
While the thought is appreciated, it would've been nice if, instead of making you jump through hoops so that you can avoid sitting through other hoops when you want to change discs, they had just not front-loaded all that crap onto any but the first disc, in the first place.

Free marketing/pr idea, Fox: let consumers actually enjoy the product they just handed you stacks of cash for. And the bonus is that every player supports it.

Sorry for the rant; I just think it's a little absurd that they have to come up with a special mode that we then have to learn how to take advantage of so that we won't be bothered by the stuff that they programmed to bother us. I mean, really... WTF?!
This could probably be taken care of it they just had a button to do this on the BR player's remote. Then it wouldn't be an issue. I know most don't but I enjoy seeing movie previews before my movies.
Old 10-26-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Or if they just authored their discs like Criterion - straight to the menu then straight to the movie with zero bullshit. If they can do it, why can't the other studios?
Old 10-26-10, 08:34 PM
Banned

well....I mean..they do have other products to sell as well. Granted..if CC did it...it'd be VERY tacky. BUT considering Fox has a bigger library and probably advertises some current flicks on those BDs too...it all makes sense.

This is disregarding whether you like it or not. I don't for the most part. Make it a feature, like FOX previews or something in the features section.
Old 10-26-10, 09:00 PM

On my case, the cutout for Alien 3 was smaller than the others, and the disc has trouble going in and out. And when I turned it over for the first time, it already had scratches and fingerprints on it. Is this the same for anyone else?
Old 10-26-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 848 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
On my case, the cutout for Alien 3 was smaller than the others, and the disc has trouble going in and out. And when I turned it over for the first time, it already had scratches and fingerprints on it. Is this the same for anyone else?
Maybe Fincher got a hold of your boxset.
Old 10-26-10, 10:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Maybe Fincher got a hold of your boxset.
Old 10-26-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my first stop upon getting the set, so this may or may not be true of all the docs, but the Alien³ doc seems to have had its brightness jacked, to the point where whites burn out the details on Vincent Ward's storyboards. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 10-27-10, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really love the packaging on this one - got the set for 59.99 cdn with coupon, really happy about that. Will wait until I've gotten some serious rock band 3 in and then I'll find time to watch this.
Old 10-27-10, 01:25 AM

I bought this set today and it is gorgeous. Worth every penny!

Just one thing, the page with the alien disc had a drop of glue or something on it. So when I opened it, I tore a tiny piece of the paper off. Did anyone else experience this?

Oh well, a tiny flaw in an otherwise awesome set.
Old 10-27-10, 05:15 AM

Could someone please let me if the packaging is like this on all of them for Alien 3, before I put in a replacement request to amazon?
Old 10-27-10, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could someone please let me if the packaging is like this on all of them for Alien 3, before I put in a replacement request to amazon?
I'm sure the opening should be uniform for all discs so I would request a replacement if the disc is messed up.
Old 10-27-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Alien 3 disc had fingerprints, but I was able to wipe those off with a microfiber cloth. No scratches, thankfully. My sleeves for the movies all appear to be the same. The sleeves for the bonus discs are a little more snug and those discs are definitely tougher to take out.
Old 10-27-10, 05:21 PM

Watched Alien today and I am gobsmacked! It's like a brand new experience! Well done Fox!
Old 10-27-10, 10:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by buckee1
Watched Alien today and I am gobsmacked! It's like a brand new experience! Well done Fox!
I like that word.
Old 10-27-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I like that word.
Me too. But I must say, I'm double gobsmacked by the "Aliens" BD. I have to say, all these years, I thought the look, cinematography and sets on this film looked washed out and "cheap". Sub sub sub par to it's predecessor. Not the story or acting though. But watching it on BD was like watching it for the first time. Or with new eyes. It truly was magnificant for me. Cameron was right, this is the best the movie has ever looked. And I was stunned how clear the picture was. On close ups, I could see every pore on everyone's face. "Alien" was great too. But "Aliens" really knocked my socks off. Mainly because I wasn't expecting much.

Last edited by Daytripper; 10-27-10 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 11:15 PM
Banned by request

I'll pop Aliens in tonight.
Old 10-27-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll pop Aliens in tonight.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I was on such a high from watching "Alien" last night, I seriously wasn't expecting much for "Aliens". Especially from all the reviews I've been reading.
Old 10-27-10, 11:27 PM
Banned by request

I've seen Aliens in 70mm and 35mm so my expectations might be a bit higher than yours.
Old 10-27-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen Aliens in 70mm and 35mm so my expectations might be a bit higher than yours.
I've been trying to remember the name of the theater I saw this at for the first time. Maybe Giles can help. It was a KB theater in D.C. on M and 18th (that area). One of Washington's biggest screens. I'm pretty sure it was in 70MM. Or not. But it was a huge screen. I saw it on two Northern Virginia screens too when it came out. 35mm for sure. I've owned it on VHS and DVD and this was by far the best it has ever looked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.