Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien Anthology - Oct. 26th

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Alien Anthology - Oct. 26th

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Alien Anthology - Oct. 26th

Alien 3 isn't as bad as you think it is. Definitely watch Fincher's Directors Cut.
Old 06-11-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean "workprint". It's definitely not a "Director's Cut", since Fincher disowned the movie years ago. Either way...yep, watch that one. Improvements all around.
Old 06-11-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
That doesn't do jack to Alien. The mystery of those things was never important to Alien and we're still left w/ some mystery. It had it's own situation that was more relevant to the story. From Prometheus we get side story of intent and purpose...that's it. And we already knew what the xenos were in intent. They sure as hell weren't pets.
You actually believe this nonsense? I agree with Josh as well. Prometheus answered questions no one asked, not to mention, with answers no one wanted.
Old 06-12-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
You mean "workprint". It's definitely not a "Director's Cut", since Fincher disowned the movie years ago. Either way...yep, watch that one. Improvements all around.
I wouldn't say all around. The extended cut is interesting and fleshes out some of the storylines and character personalities that were badly truncated in the theatrical release, but the opening of the movie works much better in the theatrical cut. The opening of the extended version feels like what it is - a rough cut workprint that needs reshoots and a lot of reworking.

Then again, I've always liked the theatrical cut. So take that as you will.
Old 06-12-12, 12:03 PM

I'm more surprised that the end result is even watchable, let alone good.
When the making-of doc said they were shooting without a final script, and lots of changes were made midway, I was expecting something like Poochy saying he had to go to his home planet.
Old 06-12-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Don't watch Prometheus at all. That's my suggestion. Ugh.

Sorry for the threadcrap. Just saw it last night. Needed to vent. If you want a more dispassionate answer, Prometheus is a prequel that has a lot of beat-you-over-the-head tie-ins with the original Alien. You'll understand a lot more of those references if you watch Alien first.

Also, much like the Star Wars prequels, the main intent of Prometheus is to demystify all of the interesting ambiguities and mysteries about Alien. In the same way that Midichlorians are used to "explain" the Force, or that we learn that Darth Vader was really a petulant teenage douchebag with mommy issues, Prometheus provides a lot of really lame answers to questions about where the alien came from, what the "Space Jockey" is, etc. Watching Prometheus first will really detract from the experience of watching Alien.

Definitely watch Alien and Aliens first. The next two sequels are up to you. (Some fans like them, others hate them.) Prometheus last, if at all.

Prometheus explicitly ties into the first Alien. It does not have any direct connections to the other sequels.
What a load of baloney. You are spreading disinformation with the "beat-you-over-the-head tie-ins" line. Every single connection to Alien is implied, save some Weyland Industries stuff, and there is much to debate on what a lot of things mean for Alien. Prometheus provides no clear cut answers to Alien's mysteries. Like any mystery when you start to unravel it, it just leads to more mysteries. There are far more questions about the Alien universe after Prometheus than there were before.

We don't know where
Spoiler:
the eggs in Alien came from. They are not the same things as the ampules in Prometheus. We do not know if the eggs are precursors or successors to the Prometheus ampules. Which means the alien creature at the end isn't necessarily a proto-xenomorph. In fact there is no way it can be a proto. It's a separate version much like the one in Alien 3. There is that mural in the ampule room that is clearly a Xenomorph. That means they existed in the form we know them before this film. They were not created in that last scene.

If I had to speculate on what Prometheus implies about Alien I'd say:
Spoiler:
The derelict in Alien contains the eggs in their original form. The ampules in Prometheus are the experiments the Engineers have done on those eggs through genetic manipulation. The ship in Alien could have been one of many ships taking eggs back to LV-223 or it could have been sent out to destroy some civilization. None the less it crashed a long time ago, if not the 2000 years ago that the disaster on LV-223 happened then before that.

And besides that the Space Jockey scene in Alien relies on the evocative imagery, atmosphere and the character's perspective. Which Prometheus changes nothing about. It sounds so immature to say that some loosely related knowledge changes that scene. It's the viewers fault for not letting go of their baggage, not the filmmakers.

Not to mention most of the implications Prometheus had aren't far off from speculation fans have been having since Alien and they are basically the musings that Scott had on the DVD commentaries.

Also I don't understand why people keep repeating this, because it's so wrong, but the midichlorians do not explain the force. They only show potential force abilities in a human, but that doesn't really mean that much. The Jedi council didn't care about Anakin's count they tested his actual ability and temperament and initially rejected him. The midichlorians do not control the force in anyway. They are not the source of the force. They are only there as a conduit, which explains why inorganic life cannot use the force. Of all the things to hate in The Phantom Menace this is the most puzzling.
Old 06-12-12, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree or acknowledge most of what you said until you talked about Star Wars. I'm not a SW fan but I'd rather not think of the prequels if i can.
Old 06-12-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
Every single connection to Alien is implied
Implied?!

No, sorry- it's entirely explicit.
Old 06-12-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Drop
What a load of baloney. You are spreading disinformation with the "beat-you-over-the-head tie-ins" line. Every single connection to Alien is implied, save some Weyland Industries stuff,
I've already had to coin a term for people like you: Prequel Deniers. The tie-ins to the first Alien movie aren't even remotely subtle. I can't fathom what alternate version of the movie you watched where you didn't see them.

Not to mention most of the implications Prometheus had aren't far off from speculation fans have been having since Alien
I will agree with you on this point, inasmuch as Prometheus plays like a piece of bad fan fiction.

Also I don't understand why people keep repeating this, because it's so wrong, but the midichlorians do not explain the force. They only show potential force abilities in a human, but that doesn't really mean that much.
Ah, you're a Phantom Menace apologist as well. That helps me greatly to understand your perspective on this movie.

[Edit: Sorry for the snark. I've been having this argument on multiple forums.]

Last edited by Josh Z; 06-13-12 at 12:23 PM.