Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rumor: New Terminator 2 Release Coming Soon?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Rumor: New Terminator 2 Release Coming Soon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-09, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Rumor: New Terminator 2 Release Coming Soon?

TDB has the specs.

[Editor's Note: Shortly after we posted this, IGN confirmed that the Skull packaging will be available here in the States with the 6-disc Limited Edition T2 Complete Collector's Set (SRP $174.99). The set will also include the the Terminator 2: Skynet Edition Blu-ray (SRP $29.99 separately). The Blu-ray will feature DTS-HD MA audio, audio commentary with director James Cameron and co-writer William Wisher, a second commentary with 26 members of the cast and crew, an enhanced viewing mode with PiP video, text commentary and art galleries, an additional storyboard-to-script viewing mode, interactive games and trivia, a THX Optimizer and D-Box motion control enhancement.]

ETA: Well, I guess the IGN article had them too, but here they are anyway. The IGN ad makes the PiP mode sound pretty expansive, but I'm gonna get the head just because it's sweet.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 02-21-09 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-21-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already have the very nice HD DVD, but if this is a marked improvement in PQ and includes the "extra special extended cut" then I may have to get it I guess...damn I've bought this movie so many times.
Old 02-21-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ sounds like the extras from the Extreme Edition.

Oh well, I put off on buying the first BD due to it's negative reviews. Will pick up it eventually.
Old 02-21-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if they don't port over the Ultimate Edition extras (STILL the definitive release of T2 IMO), I'll still buy it and keep the UE for the extras.
Old 02-21-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Even though I own the BR, I still have the Ultimate/Extreme editions because (the former) is one of the greatest special edition DVDs of all time in my opinion. Everything you want to know about the movie is there.

Do I want to pay $150-$175 for another copy of them? No, so I probably will just get the new BR. Although that T-800 bust is pretty cool.
Old 02-21-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Even if they don't port over the Ultimate Edition extras (STILL the definitive release of T2 IMO), I'll still buy it and keep the UE for the extras.
I'd be willing to bet the farm that this BD release will not have all of the previous bonus features ported over....considering they are using the super deluxe bust edition with DVD copies of both the UE and the EE as a selling point to "get all of the previous special features".....if they were actually going to port over everything for a definitive BD release, then #1 - there would be no reason to include both of the previous releases on DVD with the bust set (since they would be completely redundant), and #2 - this release would need to be more than just one Blu-ray Disc, as even a BD-50 could not hold all of the previous special features (even in just standard def) along with all of the audio commentaries and all cuts of the film in 1080p with lossless audio...
Old 02-21-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I'd be willing to bet the farm that this BD release will not have all of the previous bonus features ported over....considering they are using the super deluxe bust edition with DVD copies of both the UE and the EE as a selling point to "get all of the previous special features".....if they were actually going to port over everything for a definitive BD release, then #1 - there would be no reason to include both of the previous releases on DVD with the bust set (since they would be completely redundant), and #2 - this release would need to be more than just one Blu-ray Disc, as even a BD-50 could not hold all of the previous special features (even in just standard def) along with all of the audio commentaries and all cuts of the film in 1080p with lossless audio...
Agreed. It looks like the content from these two releases has been combed through and edited into the PiP track, although of course that's just the cream of the crop, and can't cover all the bases.
Old 02-21-09, 10:53 PM

i just the the trailer for the Skynet edition and they are treating the release as if its the first time EVER on Blu-Ray lol marketing bastards ....
Old 02-22-09, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-22-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure if I need this. I have the UK Director's Cut BD (which is the cut I prefer).

But this version does have both cuts - hmm.... decisions, decisions.
Old 02-22-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Do I want to pay $150-$175 for another copy of them?
That's the same question that I'm asking myself. I might just go ahead and buy the T-800 bust.
Old 02-22-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I like that cover!
Old 02-23-09, 12:43 AM

Im in for the BD Skynet edition

i already have the Extreme Edition and Ultimate edition ... and i probably dont have anywhere to put that bust lol

like i said on another thread im not into these special cases

didnt like the target exclusive Batman or Iron man mask

i DID buy the 3 disk target exclusive Incredible hulk brick case because it dropped to 19.99 but thats the only reason
Old 02-23-09, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
AoD wins by a mile. The only T2 releases on US DVD I know of are:

1) snapper
2) ultimate (metal single disc at first, later redone as a double-disc with a paper cover if I'm not mistaken)
There was also a double-disc metal case version, released the same day as the single-disc UE -- apparently they had trouble producing enough DVD-18s and ended up doing a mix of 2xDVD-9 / 1xDVD-18 copies. I went to BB on release day and checked the packaging to make sure I got a two-disc set (I didn't trust DVD-18s then). AFAIK the paper cover reissue was only available in a two-disc version.
Old 02-23-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I would like to get the Endoskull, May is a busy month. I got my kids birthday, and another coming in June, plus all the blu-ray releases that month. I have made sure we live within our means, and that means living on a budget. I just can't afford like I have in the past to buy every release that week. I've become more picky in my choices (also, using blockbuster for alot of titles I am on the fence with purchasing has helped.). The probable cost of the endoskull will probably be between $120-140 and that is around four or five Blu's. I'll just stick with regular blu release. I already have the metal case ultimate, and the extreme can be had for around six or seven bucks so that doesn't hurt as much.
Old 02-23-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really have to wonder about the marketing geniuses that decided to offer a $175 reissue. You have to figure the people that want the bust already have the previous editions so they get nothing out of that.

I don't know, but spending $175 on a movie you probably own 2 or 3 times over just seems nuts.
Old 02-23-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

High Def Digest seems to think that the standalone version will be 2 discs:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._this_May/2517

Featuring over six hours of bonus features is the two-disc 'Terminator 2: Skynet Edition,' which will arrive concurrently with the 'Limited Edition Terminator 2 Complete Collector's Set,' a seven-disc set which will bundle the Blu-ray 'Skynet Edition' with the previous 'Ultimate Edition' and 'Extreme Edition' DVD versions.
Old 02-23-09, 11:23 AM

I will stick with my German HD DVD release. I am not going to buy yet another copy of this movie. I own 5 copies already.
Old 02-23-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have they confirmed which cut(s) of the film are included?

Also, that cover is boring and it sucks.
Old 02-23-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
High Def Digest seems to think that the standalone version will be 2 discs:
Pretty sure this comes with a digital copy.
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Have they confirmed which cut(s) of the film are included?

Also, that cover is boring and it sucks.
The trailer voice over only mentions the theatrical and director's cuts, but the video split screens a shot of Arnold three times over, which may or may not be a subtle hint that the third cut is also included.
Old 02-23-09, 02:21 PM

I think the cover is good out of 10 I give it a 7.5 ... I mean how many times has this flick been released on home video? How many cover variations can they come up with? Lol and let's face it lionsgate isn't known for its lavish packaging.
Old 02-23-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Pretty sure this comes with a digital copy.
I thought the Digital Copy was exclusive to the big set....
Old 02-23-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
I thought the Digital Copy was exclusive to the big set....
Well, if the set had an extra disc and the BD version was two discs, it would contain seven discs (two BD, two Ultimate, two Extreme and the digital copy), unless the second disc in the standard version is an SD-DVD from either the Extreme or Ultimate.
Old 02-23-09, 07:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've still got my Ultimate Edition. I'll just get the standalone disc for this.
Old 02-23-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They must be insane to be putting out a $175 SE considering the economy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.