Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where do you draw the line at upgrading from DVD?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Where do you draw the line at upgrading from DVD?

Old 03-11-09, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Where do you draw the line at upgrading from DVD?

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
I've only upgraded my discs to Blu-Ray/HD-DVD if:

It's a movie I completely love and the film benefits from a Visual/Audio upgrade.

Other than that, I'm fine with my DVD's.
Upgrading to HDDVD was different. After the bottom fell out I did buy many things I would normally rent, but at $5 - $7 ea. I wasn't worried about it.
Old 03-11-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've just pretty much stopped buying movies period. I have my catalog favorites and I don't even watch those enough ever. For the movies I do put on, they are mostly cheese favorites like Commando or other 80's junk. Frankly, I don't care enough to see Sully's sunglasses in high def. I record the movies I find on HD cable and store them on my computer.
Old 03-11-09, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
It will be a cold day in hell before I upgrade a HD DVD to Blu-ray "just because". It would have to improve the PQ miles ahead of the HD DVD. I do not care much for the whole lossless vs lossy (DD+) nor do extras really matter that much. I have numerous HD DVD players and they won't explode over night. Even myself, a reviewer, gets Blu-ray discs that were previous HD DVD titles and you know what I do with them after I review them? Sell 'em. Why sell the HD DVD version for $1-$5 when I can get $15-$20 for the Blu-ray?

As it stands the only title I have "upgraded" has been Heroes S1...and that's only so S2 and on will "match".
Similar reasoning for me for my HD DVD to Blu upgrades: Bought Serenity on BD (~$12) because I had Firefly on BD as well (never did get around to opening Serenity on HD DVD); and bought the Ultimate Matrix Collection on BD because it was $40 on Amazon and also because it featured The Animatrix in high-def as well.
Old 03-11-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Selling old DVDs upgraded to BD:
Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
I thought both charged 15% of the cost of the item (<$50), but Amazon charged an extra dolalr if you don't pay a montly subscription fee.

Also, what is the difference in the "postage allowance" for Amazon and Half.com.

Speaking of postage when the hell will Amazon Marketplace allow reduced postage for additional items from the same seller like Half. I had to go to eBay to purchase some stuff b/c of having to pay FULL postage for each item from the same seller.

Could you give me a better breakdown on that?

Also, mailing a single disc DVD is eitther 1.68 or 1.85 depending on the weight. Lowest for Media rate is 2.23.

BTW, use a 6 1/2 x9 1/2 (or bigger) envelope and wrap the DVD in bubble wrap -- MUCH CHEAPER. or better yet, keep all the bubble mailers from all the DVDs you buy from other places --- saves a bunch of money.
As best I can calculate, Amazon Marketplace charges 15% plus $1.79 commission but keeps none of the $2.99 shipping charge. Half.com charges 15% plus 60 (they keep part of the $2.98 shipping charge). So, a listing costs ~$1.18 more at Amazon Marketplace than Half.com.

Unlike most people, I cut and fold my own cardboard boxes rather than use bubble mailers for shipping DVDs. It adds a bit to the weight but they are a bit more sturdy. The lightest DVDs tend to cost $1.85 or $2.02 to ship. BDs usually cost $1.85 in my custom boxes. I always advertise and ship First Class for individual DVDs (unless the buyer chooses Priority Mail). Box sets I usually ship Media Mail because of the weight.

I have no idea why Amazon doesn't allow cheaper shipping for multiple purchases like Half.com. It is annoying to me that both Half and Amazon charge such high shipping fees and it is really annoying that Half.com keeps 60 of the shipping fee because buyers don't know that. But the shipping charges for books are worse. Makes selling low-priced paperbacks worthless.
Old 03-11-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
It will be a cold day in hell before I upgrade a HD DVD to Blu-ray "just because". It would have to improve the PQ miles ahead of the HD DVD. I do not care much for the whole lossless vs lossy (DD+) nor do extras really matter that much. I have numerous HD DVD players and they won't explode over night. Even myself, a reviewer, gets Blu-ray discs that were previous HD DVD titles and you know what I do with them after I review them? Sell 'em. Why sell the HD DVD version for $1-$5 when I can get $15-$20 for the Blu-ray?
I entirely agree. There is no reason whatsoever to exchange my HD DVDs for Blu-ray Discs.
As it stands the only title I have "upgraded" has been Heroes S1...and that's only so S2 and on will "match".
I don't care if my HD DVDs and BDs don't match. For example, I have the first five Harry Potter movies on HD DVD. I will get the sixth, seventh and eighth (book seven is to be split into two movies, last I heard) on BD. Makes not the slightest difference to me if the cases don't match.
Old 03-11-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lizard View Post
I have no idea why Amazon doesn't allow cheaper shipping for multiple purchases like Half.com. It is annoying to me that both Half and Amazon charge such high shipping fees and it is really annoying that Half.com keeps 60 of the shipping fee because buyers don't know that. But the shipping charges for books are worse. Makes selling low-priced paperbacks worthless.
Most of my DVD's in a bubble mailer costs $2.60 with tracking. Add the cost of the mailer and you have $3 - $3.10 cost and a $2.39 reimbursement. Coincidentally that's the 60 Half is charging. I draw the line at $4 selling price. Anything below that, by the time you deduct 15% and 60 why bother?
Old 03-11-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin View Post
Similar reasoning for me for my HD DVD to Blu upgrades: Bought Serenity on BD (~$12) because I had Firefly on BD as well (never did get around to opening Serenity on HD DVD); and bought the Ultimate Matrix Collection on BD because it was $40 on Amazon and also because it featured The Animatrix in high-def as well.
Damn how did I miss Matrix for $40.
Old 03-11-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I really enjoy the film I will buy it on BD. I love Amadeus so I bought that. For the most part, now if I want to buy a movie and it's released on BD then that is what I will buy. However, if I have the movie on HD-DVD then I won't buy the BD counterpart.
Old 03-11-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lizard View Post
and it is really annoying that Half.com keeps 60 of the shipping fee because buyers don't know that.
Amazon keeps a portion of the shipping charge also but they changed the wording to place less emphasis on that fact a couple/few years ago. Before the wording change the fees would subtract it from the $2.98 shipping charge on the sellers invoice and now it just lists all the fees lumped together and then reflects the seperate $2.98 shipping credit. The fee is exactly the same though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...nodeId=1161240
Old 03-12-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Big Worms View Post
Damn how did I miss Matrix for $40.
Don't feel too bad. It was a one day sale on Amazon.ca and I had to use the infamous $10 coupon to get it down to $40. My copy still hasn't shipped though, and this is almost a month ago.
Old 03-12-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to really enjoy the movie or it has to be really cheap. $5 HD DVDs have got me buying a ton of stuff. I can usually get $5 for the DVD so it is a easy decision to upgrade.
Old 03-12-09, 11:56 AM

BD movies that meet 3 basic requirements get to be on my movie library:
1)Terrific PQ/AQ!
2) Personal Favorite
3) Replay Value

Otherwise, I'll just watch up-converted DVD or rent BD instead.

Like so many others, I used to buy DVDs just to have a nice looking movie library, now with BD, I will stick with quality movies that are worthy of repeated viewings.

To my surprise, I have found a new love for music concerts,opera, and musicals on BD.
To name my favorite music-type BD: Bizet-Carmen, Rent-Broadway, Celion Dion, Jewel, Dave Mathews....all with A+ PQ/AQ.
In addition, anime looks great on BD. So I will buy more animations and music/performance on BD in the future.

Last edited by hanami; 03-12-09 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-12-09, 12:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by darkside View Post
I have to really enjoy the movie or it has to be really cheap.
I have to really enjoy the movie and it has to be really cheap
Old 03-13-09, 02:47 AM

i wont upgrade to blu-ray unless the quality of the picture is worth it and if the special features have been added to the BD.

For Example: i have Man on Fire on SD ... The BD version has great PQ reviews but its bare bones ... not worth it ...

Iron Man i got it as an Xmas present and then a week later the BD went on sale for 16.99 (DOUBLE DISC) ofcourse it had all the great SFs and a few more exclusive to BD TOTALLY WORTH IT.... a week after i sold my SD copy for 15 bucks on ebay ...

Im totally into paramounts $10 rebate system... so far ive upgraded Ghost, Godfather Trilogy, and Transformers....but again they have to be on sale for a good price

Last edited by lovgun7; 03-13-09 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-13-09, 03:00 AM
Cool New Member

The simple reality is that I cannot afford to upgrade all the titles I'd like to upgrade if I plunged head first into Blu-ray. My outlook on the format is and has always been to view it as an extension of DVD.

1. New Release Films - I will buy these almost always on BD. Price is a consideration, though.
2. TV shows - This depends on price and whether I have already started a collection on DVD (like Lost, 24, Battlestar Galactica). If I have, then that is where the collection will finish.
3. Catalog Films - Would I buy a double dip of the film on DVD for better PQ? Then go for the Blu-ray. If not (the existing copy is a great looking DVD) - no upgrade. The only two exceptions to this rule will be for the Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings Trilogies.

I still love DVD. I go nuts over packaging and menu designs. But at the same time, I can't deny the superior video and audio quality of BD. It is not, however, enough for me to commit financial suicide. I fear deviating too much from the rules I set down for myself will lead me down a slippery slope, and I simply cannot do that.

Last edited by Aragorn84; 03-13-09 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-13-09, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

must be $15 or under for day and date new release, under $12 for new release catalogers.
Mandatory on every disc:
*truehd or dtshd-ma loseless
*bd-live,
* must be D-box enable (even if it's a comedy)
* must come in a steelbook
*supplement must all be in 1080p as well,
*both theatrical and unrated versions (where applicable) must be included,
*new audio commentary only,
*must include an e-ticket if the sequel is currently out in theater,
*a $5 rebate offer must be included if a previous dvd edition was release

I know i'm not asking too much but that's how it should be.
Old 03-13-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
must be $15 or under for day and date new release, under $12 for new release catalogers.
Mandatory on every disc:
*truehd or dtshd-ma loseless
*bd-live,
* must be D-box enable (even if it's a comedy)
* must come in a steelbook
*supplement must all be in 1080p as well,
*both theatrical and unrated versions (where applicable) must be included,
*new audio commentary only,
*must include an e-ticket if the sequel is currently out in theater,
*a $5 rebate offer must be included if a previous dvd edition was release

I know i'm not asking too much but that's how it should be.
You're not asking for too much at all, of course your collection will never exceed the 5 freebies you got with the player but there's always reason to hope.
Old 03-13-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Upgrading to HDDVD was different. After the bottom fell out I did buy many things I would normally rent, but at $5 - $7 ea. I wasn't worried about it.
Are we talking about upgrading from a disc you already own or buying completely new HD's because they are cheap?

I'd easily upgrade an SD to HD if it was cheap and it was an obvious upgrade from the SD. Buying HD's of films you don't already own because they are cheap is a whole different story.
Old 03-13-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Are we talking about upgrading from a disc you already own or buying completely new HD's because they are cheap?

I'd easily upgrade an SD to HD if it was cheap and it was an obvious upgrade from the SD. Buying HD's of films you don't already own because they are cheap is a whole different story.
Both. Even if I own the SD, I'll rent the BD when it's released to check it out. For the HD, upgrades were no-briners and I di buy quite a few I wouldn't own for $15 but for $6 why the hell not?